Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times

Advertisements

This morning's weather report said we're going to get 10-20" of snow Sunday. Did northern Maine already get another 10" Monday or Tuesday? Our family Christmas dinner is at my sister's home on Sunday. Our oldest daughter is planning to drive up to be with us. I'm hoping we reschedule for next weekend. I'm ready for more snow but please, not Sunday!

Have you been outside yet this morning? It's 30* here! A turtleneck and jeans are enough to stay warm as long as I'm moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,624 times
Just keep moving! According to wunderground, we have an 80% chance of precipitation tomorrow but only light snow. It's 34 degrees in Portland this morning but high should be 41. Shorts maybe?

Oh another kid funny (life is hilarious with this many around), my two year old was walking with me a few blocks yesterday. We had an inch or two the other night so everything was fresh white. Every few houses, he'd stop and point to something (a yard, a step, a tree) and gasp "Oooooh snow... look!" My four year old (in the literal stage) looked at me perplexed and said "Mommy, there is snow everywhere".

Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Yeah we got about 10" last night. It was just starting about 9:00PM and by 5:30 AM this morning it was done, and the roads cleared. School wasn't even delayed. Our bus was about 10 minutes early this morning in fact. Oh yeah, it was 24 when I looked a few minutes ago. Didn't even bother to put on gloves or hat to clear the steps or a path to the Suburban for the wife to go to her class this morning.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:57 AM

Here are a couple of shots of my boys waiting for the bus this morning. Took them just so all of you who are waiting to come, can show the kiddos what they can look forward to here.
Attached Thumbnails
Storm Coming-100_1828-large-.jpg   Storm Coming-100_1829-large-.jpg  

Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
I'll believe it when I see it. I was all pumped up over the last one where they said our area would definately get 12 inches and probably closer to 20-24 inches. Oh well...we only got 8

maybe it was because I was shorter.......but I just remember having big storms every winter when I was a kid. I'd love to see a blizzard like the on in 78

any case it's good to see the ski resorts having a good year.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:19 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
Fly I don't think it was because we were shorter My parents were picture hounds, so the memory is helped by those! I wish we could have those winters back! Maybe this will be the beginning of a return to that....now along the coast there seems to be more sleet and rain than snow, not like the "old days" .....lol....(I'm "only" 41!)

Bydand great face on the older boy! too funny.....we got about 3" here last night. And I can't believe how warm it is. I usually hook the doggies out in my robe, but this morning I didn't cringe!

Robin how much snow did you get last night? I'm sorry about Sunday....I haven't seen a weather report, but it seems that maybe by Thursday there will be a better idea of accumulation. Maybe the forecast will change

Old 12-12-2007, 07:11 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
just another quick comment--it is PERFECT snow fort building weather out there!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Are you talking about the little igloo like structures I've seen on movies, where the kids crawl in? It's like a tent, but made of snow. I've always wondered how in the world they do that! How do you get the snow over-head to stay up? Probably a stupid question, but I don't understand the mechanics of snow at all, only having been in it a couple of times in my life!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:45 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Okay, think about how much fun the game will be on Sunday if there really is a N'orEaster in Foxboro! Even more torture for the Jets humiliation

I really miss a good N'orEaster.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Are you talking about the little igloo like structures I've seen on movies, where the kids crawl in? It's like a tent, but made of snow. I've always wondered how in the world they do that! How do you get the snow over-head to stay up? Probably a stupid question, but I don't understand the mechanics of snow at all, only having been in it a couple of times in my life!
Nope. Snow forts are open topped so you can jump up and throw snowballs at the other kids (or adults) as they storm your fortress. It depends on the snow if you can make them or not. The stuff we got last night isn't good for it because it is too light. To borrow a phrase from my minster father "It's like shoveling a fart, you know it;s there, but it doesn't amount to much." The moisture content is almost non-existent and very, very light. Down along the coast it is usually a bit heavier and "packey".

To build an igloo like you see way up north in Eskimo land, it has to be a thicker and colder snow than we generally get here. You actually cut the blocks out of a windblown packed area and use them just like building blocks. It is very strange how rugged they can be. You fill in the cracks between the blocks with snow you force into them. I have only made 2 of them over the years and would freeze to death if I had to make one in a hurry. I'm sure there are others here who can go into a bit more detail about building an igloo than I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine