U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,554,125 times

Advertisements

I second the vote for the Pemaquid area, Damarriscotta region, Wiscasset, Newcastle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 12:47 PM

55 posts, read 119,347 times
Thank you Backtone, It sound so beautiful and I will make sure to find some time for a day trip to Pemaquid... You guys are very helpful !!!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,776,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I second the vote for the Pemaquid area, Damarriscotta region, Wiscasset, Newcastle.
I third that vote! The Mid-Coast is one of the quaintest, most tranquil, and prettiest areas in Maine.

Wiscasset is called "The prettiest village in Maine", and has lots of historic houses and the like. There's a famous seafood shack called "Red's Eats" which is known for its lobster rolls... but the line can be wicked long at lunchtime, as we say.

Damariscotta is a lovely little harbour town, with lots of great little shops and a couple of small restaurants. Definitely worth a stop! From there, you can drive to Pemaquid Point, which has a nice lighthouse and some really awesome rock formations along the coast.

People might say that Camden is "too touristy," but it's definitely worth a stop. There's a road leading up to the top of Mount Battie in Camden Hills Park just north of town, which gives you an *amazing* view of Camden and Penobscot Bay. Highly recommended.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM

55 posts, read 119,347 times
thanks everybody for the great info !!!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,170,161 times
Pine Point , the beach next to Old Orchard Beach, is lovely also, as is Ferry Beach and Higgens Beach and Crescent Beach State Park ( in Cape Elizabeth).
Those are all in the greater Portland area.

Midcoast area, Reid State Park in Georgetown and Popham Beach in Phippsburg are also amazingly gorgeous!

Roque Bluff State Park is also lovelyand not as crowded- north of Ellsworth, I believe.

So many bautiful places to enjoy- plan on several years to see them all, annchantal!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 PM

76 posts, read 174,840 times
Default My votes: Winter Harbor, Machais

There's the other part of Acadia that not a whole lot of tourists venture to - the Schoodic section, near Winter Harbor. Then there's a great state park in Machais - I think it's "Roque Bluffs" (with beautiful pink granite outcroppings).

Ok, I'm sort of biased, since my family has a camp on Flander's Pond in Sullivan (a "stones-throw" within Gouldsboro, Winter Harbor, and other destinations in Hancock and Washington County).

Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,156,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe456 View Post
There's the other part of Acadia that not a whole lot of tourists venture to - the Schoodic section, near Winter Harbor. ).
Then there's that last little bit of Acadia that even fewer people go to- Isle au Haut.. but you have to take a ferry out of the town of Stonington on Deer Isle to get there.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:00 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,525,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe456 View Post
...I think it's "Roque Bluffs" (with beautiful pink granite outcroppings)....
shhhh....zoe, don't tell , we're hoping nobody else finds it--or Jasper's, or Bold Coast...and don't mention all the eagles, people go nuts over eagles.... lol....

Last edited by mollysmiles; 12-14-2007 at 06:17 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 AM

161 posts, read 344,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
shhhh....zoe, don't tell , we're hoping nobody else finds it--or Jasper's, or Bold Coast...and don't mention all the ealges, people go nuts over eagles.... lol....
Shhhh indeed! We don't want the crowds that plague Acadia like a storm of locusts to invade the real Downeast Maine.

Eagles? Never seen one. Nope there are no eagles or whales or seals or moose, well there are those fake animatronic moose, in Downeast Maine.

Alan

Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,525,551 times
yes! there are so few I can't even spell it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine