Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Barren, and depressed I think you two are trying to say. Yeah, that's it... Barren and depressed. That's what I think every single time I vacation... ooops... am forced to spend time in your area.

All joking aside though, as nice as Acadia can be, I avoid it like the Plague during the Summer months. I bet I haven't been downtown Bar Harbor in 10 years, and the main section of the park in at least that long. I head over to the other side of Somes Sound and enjoy myself on the "real" side of that madhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:12 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
I can't wait to discover all the hidden places the tourists DON'T go! Who's gonna take me exploring???...Molly..........

Old 12-14-2007, 07:19 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
did I hear my name? lol....well, I all ready told you about Schoodic! love it love it!! and I told you about Roque's Bluff too see, I'm good to you

My favorite time to visit Bar Harbor is in the fall. The tourists are gone, the shops have the sales, and you have the colors of the leaves, plus that bright blue fall sky

My vacation spot would be up north probably, or in the western part of the state. I haven't spent nearly enough time there!

Last edited by mollysmiles; 12-14-2007 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: can't spell this morning to save my soul.....

Old 12-14-2007, 07:23 AM

I want to go WAYYYY up into the mountains and stay in a little cabin in the middle of nowhere for a few days. Lots of snow around, lots of wildlife, lots of solitude - except for the folks I take with me, of course! Night-time campfire chat sessios, smores, etc. Daytime hiking around to see what we can get into.....That would be a really fun family excursion for a couple of families to share, don'tcha think?!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:27 AM

Honestly, the best value and best location I have seen for spending some time away from everything is found by going out into the North Maine Woods and getting one of the many campsites spread throughout the vast woods. Most are either right on, or close to a lake or stream, and are primitive sure, but in beautiful locations. All are first come first serve, but are very cheap (brother spends $100 for a 3 or 4 month stay with his camper, and goes up almost every week-end.) If you have a camper, you lock it up and just leave it all Summer, nobody even bothers your wood pile while you are gone.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:33 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
we did that for the Jeep trip this summer....great time, beautiful spot, we even had our own moose pic op every evening around 7!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:54 AM

55 posts, read 134,735 times
wow, thank you guys for all the info !!! I will try not to disturb Acadia too much !!! I'm a tourist but a nice one!!! Do french Canadian have a good reputation in Maine ??? ohhh do I really want to know the answer... lollll

Maybe we'll meet in the Schoodic section of Acadia or at Pemaquin Point!!

I think I made up my mind and will visit the camden area, Pemaquit point and Acadia. If I have time I will maybe go as far as machias island for the puffins... I found a cute cottage in Hope (Hobb's pond) and will stay there for a week and then I will find a motel around Acadia for something like 3 nights .... What do you think ??? Old orchard Beach and Kennebunkport are also a good idea but I already went there a few years ago...

Thanks again you guys, I appreciate your help and your little secret about MAINE !!!

au revoir

Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 AM

55 posts, read 134,735 times
Eagles, where, where !!! I'm on my way !!! thanks!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:06 AM

Eagles? What eagles??

Old 12-14-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annchantal View Post
Eagles, where, where !!! I'm on my way !!! thanks!
When you come across into the States, come across at the Perth-Andover/Fort Fairfield crossing from the Trans-Canada. It is a nice drive from the Perth area over and then go right through Fort Fairfield toward Caribou. The road follows the Aroostook River and there are a couple of pairs of Eagles that live along that section of river. One set is about 2 miles out of Fort right where there is a red barn right on the river bank. Park in the lot in front of the barn and there is a good chance one or two will glide by, they used to have a nest right on the island in the middle of the river right behind the barn, but a wind storm took down the tree. There is an effort going to put up a permanent structure for them to build a new one on in the Spring. Another pair nest right behind my brothers house about another 3 or 4 miles further toward Caribou. Keep your eyes open and there is a good chance of seeing one. When you get to Caribou, take a left at the light after the bridge over the Aroostook River and you are on the road that will take you to Houlton, ME and 95 South. Stop at Irvings Big Stop on the left as you are coming into Houlton for a good meal if it is around time to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine