U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 PM

303 posts, read 1,289,512 times

Advertisements

I was reminising about my Eastport great grandmother making Boston Brown Bread but I don't have her recipe. I looked on the web but there were so many. Does anyone have a authentic recipe they love?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 06:29 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
Default Baked Brown Bread :)

2/3 c. sifted flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt
1 c. whole wheat flour or corn meal
1 egg
2/3 c. molasses
2/3 c. evaporated milk and
1/3 c. water and
2 t. vinegar, mixed

sift white flour with sugar, soda, and salt. Add whole wheat flour. In separate bowl, beat egg, add molasses. Create milk mixture, and add to egg and molasses. Stir this mix into dry ingredients. Pour into grease loaf pan. Bake in slow oven (300-325) until firm, about 1 hour.

(when you pour this into the loaf pan it's quite soupy, but have faith, it will bake up! this recipe is delicious! I got it from one of my best friend's grandmother--a fellow Eastporter! )

Old 12-13-2007, 09:12 AM

612 posts, read 1,063,335 times
Default Baked Brown Bread :)

Mary,

Can't wait to try this recipe...sounds yummy!! We are suppose to get some cooler weather this weekend in North Florida. My 28 year old son has asked for Chili...but I was thinking of Irish Stew to go with the bread. Thanks for the recipe, I look forward to the baking.

I don't know how I did this...think I had two threads open at the same time...the attachments were for Moughie...sorry guys...pictures of the inside of the cottage in Eastport.

Last edited by Eastport4me; 12-13-2007 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 04:40 PM

303 posts, read 1,289,512 times
Default Thanks Molly

Look forward to some cooler weather down here in North Carolina. We had an 81 degree record breaking day and the fall leaves are still falling. Saw a woman getting leaves out of the gutter in a tank top and shorts. It feels really weird to have all the Christmas lights and tree. We are supossed to have cold and rain Saturday and I look forward to making the brown bread with the boys all cozy inside!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:15 PM

306 posts, read 922,183 times

This is the Massachussettes thread, right?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:31 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,973,738 times
B & M is a major employer in Portland!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:10 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
The Brown Bread I remember was steamed. My mum went on a bit of a kick making Brown Bread and Pumpkin Bread when those can openers that take the lids off cans without leaving a sharp edge first came out. Unsing that type of canopener allows you to set the lids back on the top. When my kids were small we made the Pumpkin Bread in the fall. We would wrap the cans in gift wrap and they would give it as gifts at Thanksgiving to Their teachers and relatives. I can't find the recipe we had, but this is probably the same.

1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. med. rye flour
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. raisins (opt.)
2 c. buttermilk, room temp.
3/4 c. molasses

Generously grease 2 (1 pound) coffee cans or 3 (1 lb.) vegetable or fruit cans; set aside. In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, rye flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. Add raisins, if desired. Toss to separate and coat with flour mixture.
In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk and molasses. Stir into flour mixture only until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn into prepared cans, filling evenly. Cover cans tightly with 2 layers of foil; tie with string. Place a rack in a large kettle. Place cans on rack. Place kettle over low heat. Add boiling water until halfway up cans. Cover; bring water to a gentle boil. Steam bread 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Add more boiling water during steaming, if necessary. Carefully remove bread from cans. Cool on racks at least 30 minutes before slicing. Makes 2 or 3 small loaves.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,781 times
msina,
I am intrigued by your recipe!!

However, I am stumped by the following:

"Place a rack in a large kettle. Place cans on rack. Place kettle over low heat. Add boiling water until halfway up cans."

What is meant by a kettle? Do I place it in the oven or on the stovetop?
Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
Both of these sounds real close to how my DW's family makes their versions of Brown Bread. They came from outside of the Boston area, and can make some killer Bread, beans, and Boston cream pies. I really like going for a visit. The DW tries, but... let's leave it at that, OK.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
lol.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine