U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 05:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I was once doing repairs on an apartment building of ours.

It was built in the late 1800's and the floors were beginning to sag. Each floor sagged more and more until finally on the third floor the sag was the worst. I decided that I needed to start in the basement, jack up the floor joists and replace the posts. But then I found that even the primary horizontal joists were sagging, so while replacing the posts would help some it would not be enough. So I needed to add more joists. I got these 2 by 12 engineered wood beams, and was told to support the weight I needed to nail three of them side-by-side, jack them up into place to take on the weight of the building and to set posts under them.

Well at one point I had a post cut exactly to fit, but it was really tight, so I was standing up on blocks with my shoulder lifting the joists while I slid the post into position. I put all of my strength into it, and got it done. To realize that it had my beard.

Yeah that was good.
Wow bet that was fun getting unstuck! Yikes and double yikes that sounds painful!

Old 12-25-2007, 05:31 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Stacie, I have a single friend. He's very outdoorsy. We're climbing Katahdin together next fall. Bydand's wife would probably think more kindly of you standing under the mistletoe with my friend.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:13 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I was once doing repairs on an apartment building of ours.

It was built in the late 1800's and the floors were beginning to sag. Each floor sagged more and more until finally on the third floor the sag was the worst. I decided that I needed to start in the basement, jack up the floor joists and replace the posts. But then I found that even the primary horizontal joists were sagging, so while replacing the posts would help some it would not be enough. So I needed to add more joists. I got these 2 by 12 engineered wood beams, and was told to support the weight I needed to nail three of them side-by-side, jack them up into place to take on the weight of the building and to set posts under them.

Well at one point I had a post cut exactly to fit, but it was really tight, so I was standing up on blocks with my shoulder lifting the joists while I slid the post into position. I put all of my strength into it, and got it done. To realize that it had my beard.

Yeah that was good.

This is good! Thanks for the laugh. I can picture it clear as day, and one of the reasons I don't wear a beard. I would be doing something like this all the time if I did.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:40 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
dramamama6685; Bydand -

I should admit that I have gotten it stuck a few times in different scenes.

Now days it routinely gets stuck everytime that I zip up a jacket. At least I have finally trained the goats to stop trying to eat it.

In terms of avoiding getting stuck, it was much better when I kept it short to US Navy regs; but I much prefer it this way so here I am.

I am going for the ZZ-Top look.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:40 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
I think it's cool. I love beards.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:29 PM

874 posts, read 1,634,549 times
We have a dear old daddy, for whom we daily pray,

He's got a set of whiskers, they're always in the way.

Chorus: 0h, they're always in the way,

The cows eat them for hay,

They hide the dirt on father's shirt,

They're always in the way.

Father had a strong back, now it's all caved in,

He stepped upon his whiskers and walked up to his chin. Chorus:

We have a dear old brother, he has a Ford machine,

He uses father's whiskers to strain the gasoline. Chorus:

We have a dear old sister, it really is a laugh,

She sprinkle's father's whiskers as bath salts in her bath. Chorus:

Around the supper table, we make a merry group,

Until dear father's whiskers, get tangled in the soup. Chorus:

When father goes in swimming, no bathing suit for him,

He ties his whiskers 'round his waist, and gaily plunges in.

Chorus: 0h, they're always in the way,

The cows eat them for hay,

They hide the dirt on father's shirt,

They're always in the way.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:59 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,519 posts, read 4,928,995 times
Talking To The Christmas Elf!!! Thank You!!

I got a visit from the CHRISTMAS ELF!! !!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!! You guys are the BEST!!!

I hope that everyone is still celebrating!!!

And that everyone's Christmas is AMAZING!!

Once again, to you wonderful people, friends MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

May you all be BLESSED!!! AND THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

Take gentle care,

Countrylv22

Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 AM

5,054 posts, read 10,929,364 times
Gen, CUTE!!! CL, we're not only STILL celebrating, we just had our Christmas morning with the kids, since DH had to work a 24 hr shift yesterday. We made arrangements with Santa to visit last night, so Daddy wouldn't miss the fun. The girls were a little worried that he'd forget, but he made it right on time, as usual!! Now, they're all in the living room floor putting together the 150,000 small plastic pieces that hold their doll furniture and Rose Petal Cottage together. Next is the Thomas Train set!

Elston, I assume Santa found the grandbaby's new home with no trouble. I hope it was a magical time for them yesterday.

Everyone enjoy!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 AM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times
Elston, I assume Santa found the grandbaby's new home with no trouble. I hope it was a magical time for them yesterday.

Everyone enjoy! [/quote]

Yes indeed he did, and they even got a tree up before the end of christmas eve day!!!!! Her bedroom is the only room in the house that is all set up and her uncle painted her a sign for the door...with a red star marking the spot on a globe where her room is located.

She also is pretty sure that Santa and the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy share their lists.....thats important as she has a loose tooth

Old 12-26-2007, 03:04 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,980,924 times
Default Thank You All for Christmas Wishes

Thank you to everyone who raised the spirits of this traveler who is looking to "land" perhaps in the ever more appealing land of Maine The posts here are wonderful and make this a Pleasing Positive And Informative Place

And thanks to the Elf, the Grinch, the ***, the Cookie, and to The Ghost of Christmas Future - wow that is encouraging and mysterious. And also to one who sent a Christmas Kiss (!!) Oh My! now that one is _very_ interesting to this old (and available) bachelor

Thank You Everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or