Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:54 PM

879 posts, read 2,331,371 times

Advertisements

Make sure that whatever you end up going for, that you use the correct terminology to describe the building. Banks are very picky when it comes to loans, and what exactly it is they are giving you money for. Mobile home is a broad term for wheeled and framed homes. It is better to use manufactured home as it is the common term for buildings built after 1976. A modular home is a house that is assembled in pieces, but lacks wheels and frame. These are actual houses that must meet code, and are far easier to get loans for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 PM

332 posts, read 502,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Make sure that whatever you end up going for, that you use the correct terminology to describe the building. Banks are very picky when it comes to loans, and what exactly it is they are giving you money for. Mobile home is a broad term for wheeled and framed homes. It is better to use manufactured home as it is the common term for buildings built after 1976. A modular home is a house that is assembled in pieces, but lacks wheels and frame. These are actual houses that must meet code, and are far easier to get loans for.
Yes, the terminology has been tripping me up, but not mobile vs manufactured vs modular. Those are easily defined. Even here in this thread I have had some difficulty making myself understood; i.e., I am not looking to buy a moho (great shortcut courtesy of Maineiac) and move it to a piece of land. I am looking for someone who is selling a property that happens to be a moho that has been sited, tied down, has water and septic, been lived in, etc. There seem to be a gazillion of these in Maine. But google mobile homes for sale and you are led only to merchants who sell trailers to roll off the lot.

My other frustration is, well, I am an unattached female who is not gonna be building anything. Wait. I'd like to build a smokehouse. Two actually. But I don't really do 'guy stuff'. And if that sounds sexist, tuff. I don't care which gender does it, but it ain't gonna be me. I worship wood and stone and greatly admire anyone who works with those materials, but those are not my skills. So when posters tell me what they did with a cheapo moho, it's interesting as story, but unfortunately, those possibilities are not mine.

I have seen some beautiful mohos online. Wood on virtually every surface. Fireplaces. Kitchens that look like magazine pictures, sunrooms. Even ones that sit on top of a full, finished basement. Heated garages with large loft spaces. Usually these are at the end of some long unpaved roadway or driveway. I've got a good snowblower, but sheesh..... The dream to live in the country - probably not going to happen. Sucks that we only get the one go-around. No rehearsal, just full-out ad lib as soon as you drop out of the womb.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:51 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
I am interested in buying a home that is already in place on property that is a part of the deal.

Such as this one, but cheaper:

329 Searsmont Road, Lincolnville ME - Trulia
I like this place- I like the area of Lincolnville

years ago we called em trailers, now mobile homes.....

ive been thru some mobile and manufactured homes that are very well built..

there are a lot of mobile home parks, usually older folks...
a good friends grandmother was in one-we use to go visiting in augusta, and it was like a community, of live alones, that got to know one another and made very good friends that would do a lot together
they'd buy the mobile home and pay a park fee every month

if you want your own land, im sure there are plenty of listings, and some at a great cost..
I used to look down on old trailers,,,,because I couldn't imagine living in one thru a winter,,,,but again, the ones today are much better (mobile homes)

Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
Lightbulb have mobile home ... will travel

I know I am probably repeating what everyone else has said already but...

I thought I might add my own twist to it.

Cons
Cooler in the winter (*unless it's new or and wrapped correctly)
Usually only one choice of heat "Forced Air"
Hard to keep cool in the summer
Less value then a house
Mobile home sit higher meaning your climbing stairs (bad if your having trouble with stairs)

Pro's
Affordable
Takes up less space and could be placed easily
Cheaper to heat
If you get a good AC and the Mobile home is new (easy to cool)
Taxes are lower
Snow, it tends to bank your home to save on heat loss

If I had more time I would add lots more.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:19 AM

332 posts, read 502,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I know I am probably repeating what everyone else has said already but...

I thought I might add my own twist to it.

Cons
Cooler in the winter (*unless it's new or and wrapped correctly)
Usually only one choice of heat "Forced Air"
Hard to keep cool in the summer
Less value then a house
Mobile home sit higher meaning your climbing stairs (bad if your having trouble with stairs)

Pro's
Affordable
Takes up less space and could be placed easily
Cheaper to heat
If you get a good AC and the Mobile home is new (easy to cool)
Taxes are lower
Snow, it tends to bank your home to save on heat loss

If I had more time I would add lots more.

Ah geez, what a tease!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
Post ...hey.. I trying to show I care

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Ah geez, what a tease!
sorry.........................

Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,804,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
You can survive in Maine in just about anything. Personally, I'd look for 2 x 6 framed, pitched roof (preferably standing seam metal - almost lifetime) and good bones. "Self insuring" just means not paying an insurance company ever-increasing premiums. I just had a bad go-around with Concord Group insurance on ice dams. They threatened to drop me if I didn't replace ALL of the roofs on my home (extensive), even though they only leaked in January when we had ice dams. I told them to shove it and switched companies with another Agency. Had I let them drop me, my premiums would have doubled or more no matter who insured me. When I bought the house several years ago, and lived out-of-state, these people (Concord) DEMANDED that I paint the back of the house and garage, which was tar paper and decaying cedar shingles. I explained I planned to re-side the house with wood siding, and I'd get to it when I got to it. The continued to DEMAND that I paint the tar paper and decaying shingles. I simply ignored them and, 3 years later, put on my wood siding and painted it. I despise these insurors, who will do everything they can not to pay a claim, dictate whether you can have a dog or not, a woodstove or not, and on and on. If you do decide to have pets, they'll charge you for it. All the while fighting you for increased premiums and the lowest payout possible on any claim, if they pay at all.

That is not to say that a low priced policy on a mobile home wouldn't be a good idea. When I build my house on the back 40, I'll probably do it with cash, build what I want and screw the insurance companies. I know it sounds silly, but it's a roll of the dice either way. You spend your money and never get it back, or you don't give away your money and nothing ever happens. A lot of people see that as a bad gamble. I see it as somewhat controllable.
AGREE

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,320 times
is there a website that lists the monthly hoa fees for a mobile home community, listed by city and state? thanks for your input

Old 07-31-2014, 04:38 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,038,207 times
Mobile homes are just not warm enough in the winter-even if you bank the mobile home...are you handy?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
There are sure a lot of folks who live in mobile homes in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine