Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:15 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Yep, generally time to turn on the lights by 4:00, gets light in the morning around 7:00.

Summer is something to get used to though. Sunup by 5 and still light at 8ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 05:18 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
Default flycessna - how is the night sky in Maine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
... The crystal clear winter nights arn't bad either...
flycessna - how is the night sky in Maine? Down here in DC the sky is a very brightly glowing pink haze (kinda depressing) all night long. I remember when I was a kid (about 40-50 years ago) we could see the milky way and all the other stars.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:41 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I just started looking through the webcams that I've grown to count on every day, and it appears that I've missed it! At 4:29 ET, it's dark there!! That's so funny. I'm sitting here at 3:29 CST, and it's sunny out. It was a surreal feeling......one of those look at the clock 3 times to verify moments.
thanks for posting this thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I just started looking through the webcams that I've grown to count on every day, and it appears that I've missed it! At 4:29 ET, it's dark there!! That's so funny. I'm sitting here at 3:29 CST, and it's sunny out. It was a surreal feeling......one of those look at the clock 3 times to verify moments.
That is because of Maines proximity to the eastern border of the Eastern Time Zone. Even though it is the same time of day as in say, Indiana; Indiana will receive more daylight because it is on the western border of the Eastern time zone. So while darkness is descending on Maine at 4:30, there is about what, two more hours of daylight in Indiana?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:59 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
We can all rejoice on the 21st because THE DAYS WILL BE GETTING LONGER!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
flycessna - how is the night sky in Maine? Down here in DC the sky is a very brightly glowing pink haze (kinda depressing) all night long. I remember when I was a kid (about 40-50 years ago) we could see the milky way and all the other stars.
I enjoyed the skies when I was up there this fall... even with the yard light on, you could see more than I see at home here in NC...

I was staying outside of Bangor...

Old 12-13-2007, 07:23 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,618 times
The sky where I live is amazing. There are no street lights on the road. The first time I looked up and saw the sky for the first time it took my breath away.
Beautiful.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
The sky where I live is amazing. There are no street lights on the road. The first time I looked up and saw the sky for the first time it took my breath away.
Beautiful.
If I end up far enough away from "town" I just might have to take up astronomy again... do Mainers get a good view of the aurora borealis also? Several years, when we were living "beyond the power lines" and in a canyon so we had dark skies, we had what I considered a good show... enough that we woke up all the kids and bundled them up over the PJs to spend time laying out in the snow watching!

What we saw was nothing like some of the shots that a friend from Alaska posts on his blog, though!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Not every night but quite often during the winter it will be crystal clear. And this may be the norm for a lot of Mainers here on the forum but for me it’s still inspiring:

I have a camp on one the smaller lakes in Denmark. During the winter we will often be the only people on the lake. At nighttime I can go outside when the air is crisp and it literally looks as though I could reach up and touch the stars. The Milky Way is clear and on some night's I swear you can see the different shades of black/gray/blue in space. I can usually clearly pick out the satellites too. Also when there is snow on the ground and if the air is still you cannot here anything. There is no sound. That silence and clarity both make for an awesome scene. You’ll have to come to Maine and check it out!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:16 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Starwalker, we get amazing displays of the Northern Lights up here. Some years more than others of course. Earliest I can remember seeing them was Aug 28th 1996. Why can I remember that date so well? That is the night one of my nephews was born and driving home from the hospital that evening after seeing the little guy for the first time, the night sky was just dancing with the Northern Lights.

I have sat up all night while out camping in October/November huddled under a blanket sitting beside a small lake I used to hike into watching just breathtaking displays.

Actually the difference between Maine on the Eastern edge of the time zone and the far western side of the same time zone is about 1 hour 15-20 minutes of daylight. Living in Michigan right on the Lake Michigan shore, I would log onto a few Maine web cams and watch the sunrise here, then get to watch it again there. Same with the sunsets. What can I say, I like both and if I can get to watch 2 sets of each in a day - BONUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: