U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:57 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,929,364 times

Advertisements

Well, I just got a quote from PODS, which is now available in our area. Penske was under $800 - PODS was over $4300. Guess we'll be driving the big yellow truck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 04:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,980,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
..."Do not bring anything" except for necessities of course. I couldn't believe how much i spent to move what turned out to be junk a few years later. If you can afford it or it even might work out better. Sell as much as you can and then buy stuff when you get here...
Indeed, when I last moved, I faced a mighty task. My family who grew up during the Depression, never got rid of anything. And we had all the stuff that was left behind by aunts and uncles who had passed. Luckily I had some cousins who are good Catholics and they have lots of kids And their kids have lots of kids. And they all had homes and use for all the stuff I was overwhelmed with.

And I noticed a "pattern" happening. Kind of like an archeological dig. looking at all the stuff, in virtual "layers" of importance I thought "I can get rid of all the stuff in the top layer, but the stuff below I _have_ to keep."

But then after getting rid of all the stuff in the "top layer" I found that I really could get rid of a lot of things in the next "layer" but definitely not anything in the next "layer."

And then after getting rid of a lot of stuff in the "second layer" I find that I could really get rid of a lot of stuff in the "third layer" and so on, and so on, and so on.

It is _so_ liberating to get rid of all this baggage. Feels good! (One may enjoy the opening paragraphs of Thoreau's Walden, and one that begins " I see young men, my townsmen, whose misfortune it is to have inherited farms, houses, barns, cattle, and farming tools; for these are more easily acquired than got rid of..."

Life is an adventure, and as flycessna advised, just bring the necessities, (and of course family treasures). I imagine a possible new life in Maine as "new" and an adventure with delights yet unknown.

I just passed on my 1970's treasured comic book collection (13 large boxes) to my cousin's grandson who is as much if not more enthusiastic about them as I was back in the 70's It is very nice to see his joy. I realize "Why am I carrying this stuff from place to place?" I have not looked at them for 20+ years.

And don't forget Freecycle http://www.freecycle.org/ to pass on your too much stuff to someone who can really use it. There are 21 (!) Freecycle groups in Maine which suggests a frugal and sensible people. And perhaps there is a Freecycle group in your home where you can leave your excess behind and not have to truck it to Maine.

Best Wishes,

qw

Old 12-14-2007, 04:24 PM

620 posts, read 1,276,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You can simply mail a lot of your stuff. Parcel post is cheaper than moving it. Just tape everything very well.
I did something like that once. Just moved myself and cat on the airplane and everthing else UPS. However, the guy who delivered the boxes was apparently mad about having to deliver so many boxes. (Really wasn't many and was a ground floor apartment, but...) He more or less threw them towards the floor of my new apartment. Okay for the books, but my beautiful china did not survive and I hadn't insured it. Oh well, I find beautiful china is nonessential.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:27 PM

175 posts, read 373,226 times
I can totally relate to keeping stuff. I have moved a lot in my life, but it was only in about a 30 mile radius. No long distance at all. Of course I have stuff I have held on to 4-ever. Ya know, like clothes I haven't wore in years because I outgrew them, but I know one day I will be that thin again. ( I think not). And papers out the wazooo.
I am not a pack rat by any means, but I tell ya, when you go to move, you don't realize even if you have lived in a place a short time, just how much you accumulate.
I really do like the idea of mailing things ahead of time. I made a promise to myself I am going to weed out, just like the layer story. It makes sense and I need to do that. Thanks!!

Old 12-14-2007, 04:34 PM

620 posts, read 1,276,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post

It is _so_ liberating to get rid of all this baggage. Feels good! (One may enjoy the opening paragraphs of Thoreau's Walden, and one that begins " I see young men, my townsmen, whose misfortune it is to have inherited farms, houses, barns, cattle, and farming tools; for these are more easily acquired than got rid of..."
qw
Well, I do agree with the gist of your post, i.e. "get rid of all this baggage." But I can not picture myself feeling sorry for anyone who has inherited a farm, a house, a barn, or cattle. (Farming tools, it depends.)

Old 12-14-2007, 04:55 PM

406 posts, read 1,488,847 times
Quote:
Anyone know anything about "PODS"? Probably expensive but the concept is great.
I looked into them before we moved here. Super convenient...but super expensive.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 PM

378 posts, read 934,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
We were told by several sources to avoid UHaul. Penske is apparently better, safer equipment. We've been quoted $790 plus fuel from Texas to Maine for the largest truck.
elcarim THANKS. wow that's a good price. I was thinking of avoiding all that and letting .... pods help but they only have a place way down in .... briddenden i know i'm spelling that wrong and they are ridiculously high

Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Well, I just got a quote from PODS, which is now available in our area. Penske was under $800 - PODS was over $4300. Guess we'll be driving the big yellow truck!

OH LOL !! I just saw this after I posted.... LOL !!! Yeah and a friend told me they were the cheapest way to move. There big thing seems to be getting one to make a res and then forgetting so one day you are surprised and CHARGED when they dump it off at your home ... LOL !!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Well, this isn't much of an idea but It works for me....at least the last time I made a big move.

"Do not bring anything" except for necessities of course. I couldn't believe how much i spent to move what turned out to be junk a few years later. If you can afford it or it even might work out better. Sell as much as you can and then buy stuff when you get here.

Anyways...Its probably not what your looking for but i thought I'd mentioned it. good luck

we are not even bringing our beds !! and we're pretty concerned where we'll get new ones quick. LOL !!! BUTwe have sleeping bags and probably one futon and we're remembering when we were younger and moved into an apt with NOTHING I MEAN NOTHING and by the time we moved not a whole year later we had so much STUFFFFF that we needed a uhaul. Honest we moved in and had a container of sherbet and a couch someone had left there and ONE glass coffeetable and one glass endtable.

we feel confident that we will be okay and our house here will still be bedded when we want or need to visit.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm that is expensive! I think perhaps we will sell or give away stuff here and then purchase in Maine. We do have some furniture and stuff I want to take, but some big bulky stuff like the box spring and mattress could well be replaced and some of the bureau (what is plural of bureau bureaus????) are mismatched second hand store items. When I came here I ruthlessley sorted thru my stuff; i marked off a 5x8 area with masking tape on the floor and just told myself, if you can fit it in there you can take it other wise do the Buddha thing and get rid of it. (Attatchment and grasping) is the source of suffering. It worked pretty well. First I let my kids take anything they could use, including things they would have inherited--take it now; then I put things in the yard and marked them all FREE! I took lots of books to the public library. I am ok with that, but I can't convince my DP to give away three out of style tuxedos that he had when he lived in NYC and frequented the Met. I don't think he will get anymore use of them in Maine than he has in southern california.

SMART ELSTON !!

I can't understand how I can ever dish out any more reputation if it never lets me give rep when I want to...
do i have to pretend to like some stuff just to spread my love around??
okay now how cheap is taht??? LOL !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or