U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:30 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,139,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm that is expensive! I think perhaps we will sell or give away stuff here and then purchase in Maine. We do have some furniture and stuff I want to take, but some big bulky stuff like the box spring and mattress could well be replaced and some of the bureau (what is plural of bureau bureaus????) are mismatched second hand store items. When I came here I ruthlessley sorted thru my stuff; i marked off a 5x8 area with masking tape on the floor and just told myself, if you can fit it in there you can take it other wise do the Buddha thing and get rid of it. (Attatchment and grasping) is the source of suffering. It worked pretty well. First I let my kids take anything they could use, including things they would have inherited--take it now; then I put things in the yard and marked them all FREE! I took lots of books to the public library. I am ok with that, but I can't convince my DP to give away three out of style tuxedos that he had when he lived in NYC and frequented the Met. I don't think he will get anymore use of them in Maine than he has in southern california.

Excellent idea, elston.

My wife moved here from Klamath Falls, Oregon 4 years ago, and we somehow managed to condense a 1500 sq ft house crammed with stuff down to what I managed to pack into a 5x10 UHaul trailer and the back of a pick-up truck.

We packed everything we could into large plastic Rubbermaid-type containers for ease of packing and loading. For clothing, we used those plasic bags that allow you to suction out all the air with a vacuum cleaner. I have distinct memories of taping the outline of the UHaul trailer on the garage floor and spending several hours working the boxes around until they all fit.

My biggest concern was that we'd be asked to unload the trailer when we crossed into Canada; I'm don't think Customs would have loaned me a grage to redo the whole deal.

You'd be absolutely amazed at the amount of stuff you carry in a relatively small trailer if you concentrate the packing process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
You can try a teleportation device. It'll set you back a couple of billion, but from what I hear it is money well spent.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You can try a teleportation device. It'll set you back a couple of billion, but from what I hear it is money well spent.
ROTFLMAO... can I borrow yours when you are done for a nominal fee?

In all seriousness I do like the masking off the space idea.. will use it when our time comes.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:51 PM

83 posts, read 243,873 times
Default Thanks everyone!

This site is a great service and this is an especially helpful thread!

I wonder if anyone here has ideas about renting storage space to receive things that are sent ahead by parcel post? I will be coming to Portland (October, 2008 tentatively) without an apartment.

Is parcel post through the post office?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
ROTFLMAO... can I borrow yours when you are done for a nominal fee?

Sure thing. I just need to go back to Minneapolis and pick up the other half of the unit (there are two pieces to it-one is the Sender-which was left in Minneapolis, and the other is the Receiver-which is here). It will be kind of a pain, though, since each unit is the size of a 16' Penske truck, and of course, you have to move the Receiver ahead of time to the location where you want your stuff teleported, so it is kind of a pain.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:22 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,733 times
Default Penske

I contacted Penske and from where I am in Florida (the bottom) they only go as far as Topsam, Maine to drop off the truck. So....how do I get all that stuff from Topsam to Limestone? I am totally lost on how to get stuff from "here to there". Maybe...... "YOU CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE"
Our car is not able to tow anything and doesn't have enough room in it to move much but us and the dog.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:45 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
geez Abby that stinks! there's got to be a way though....others have done it How'd Bydand move? has he said? He'd be a great one to ask!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:57 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,733 times
Molly, Not all stinks. I will definatly move even if that means JUST bring us and the dog. After all the rest is just "stuff" and stuff can be replace as we go. The most important part is being in Maine and seeing family again. We started with nothing and we still have most of that left. We can and will do it again.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:58 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
Honey, I love your attitude!!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:15 AM

38,425 posts, read 18,180,970 times
Couldn't you have your "stuff" moved to Topsam, and then rent a U Haul and move it yourself from that point to your new home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or