U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:20 PM

38,471 posts, read 18,242,624 times

Advertisements

Just lovely QW;

I have had that type of experience too. I have gone with the advice that if you havent used it or worn it in the last year......you don't need it. I know that isnt always true. I also know sometimes I go looking for something I just know I have.....only to remember I didnt save it and tossed it out.
But there is still something to be said for letting go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,997,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Yes they resemble the subject, but they're not that brush. I think its' the metaphor thing. (Feeling very "Woody Allenish" here.)

Old 12-20-2007, 07:28 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,997,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Yes they resemble the subject, but they're not that brush. I think its' the metaphor thing. (Feeling very "Woody Allenish" here.)
Maybe that old brush is my "Rosebud"

Old 12-20-2007, 07:31 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,836,537 times
That must be why some "Mainers" have so much stuff in their garages and attics, you never know when ya might need it. After moving the a couple of times we got rid of SO much. When we left Maine it was a situation in which we had to move fast for others, when we came back it was because we just HAD to ( ) . Along the way we got rid of most furniture twice. Most family photo albums and treasures such as Christmas ornaments and such were passed on to the kids for the Grandkids. We can now pack a 17' U-Haul with all of our worldly goods with room left.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,533,006 times
QW thank you for sharing that

One of the things I took from my parent's house before it sold was an antique clothes rack that is mounted on the wall....I would never be able to find one like it. There are clothes racks out there, but not like that one One thing I didn't save was this little...geez, I'm not sure what to call it...it was a little thing that set on the counter, it had 4 little drawers that pulled open, then one on the bottom looked like a roll-top desk cover....Anyway, that's not important. I did let that go....and a thousand times I've thought "I need a place to keep (that)" and when I thought about where my Mom kept those little things it was in that miniature "cabinet"

Old 12-21-2007, 07:36 PM

83 posts, read 244,520 times
Elston -

What is "kami"?

Michael

Old 12-21-2007, 08:08 PM

"Kami" is a japanese word for spirit. It has the connotation of soul and sacredness. Kami can be attatched to a place such as a sacred mountain or it can be felt the way you feel the "holiness" within a grove of trees or a great cathedral. Across the countryside in rural Japan and even in the cities you will see little shrines to honor the Kami that inhabit that place, whether it is a stream or a rice paddy or the kami that watches over the ancestoral home.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 PM

I think I am very sensitive to kami; i often feel their presence in trees or stones and certainly in lakes--intensley so in the early morning.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:19 PM

191 posts, read 453,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I agree....the special pieces are all ready in the house....quilts from the great grandmother, pitcher and bowl sets, pictures, hand written recipes....even an old cane! but the other things--an afghan my sister made when she was in high school, and some of the old stand clothes, for example--I will never use. Someone else should be enjoying them
I'm reading this thread with great interest. Ever since my DH and I have committed ourselves to moving to Maine we have made a concious effort not to buy any new stuff esp. furniture. We tell friends and family to think "consumables" when doing the gift exchange stuff with us. (We did get a subscription to Down East from our neighbors this Christmas ). But I can't seem to throw out anything,..... sentimental attachment. My dad's WWII flight logs, pictures, too much china we'll never use, lots of nice things.... but my gosh, I've also got a two foot long braid of hair my mother had in her cedar chest (have that too). The hair belonged to her grandmother. I used to make fun of my mom for keeping it, told her to throw it out, she couldn't bring herself to do it. Well, now she's gone and I have the hair....among tons of other things. I still have the claw shell from the first lobster my dad bought me (40+ years ago) up in the attic in a box somewhere...not to mention every electric bill, check I ever wrote, bank statements etc., neatly packed in boxes for each year. Every New Year I swear I'm going to have a bon fire - say a prayer - and burn some of this stuff, but I can't do it . I thnk my friends are going to have to conspire to do an intervention to get me over this OCD behavior. Then again - maybe the threat of a huge moving bill is just what I need. Good Luck and please keep us posted on how your FL to Maine move goes.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:28 PM

95 posts, read 435,416 times
we moved from Ca. to Arkansas-used a mover-about 4 grand. BTW-we got ripped off too. They literally held our stuff for ransom and wanted an extra $1,500 for the rising price of gas?! thery said if I read the fine print on our contract they can do that. Be careful my friend,I've heard this story from others too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or