U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:17 AM

169 posts, read 487,371 times

Advertisements

i know this is anecdotal, but it seemed to me that a lot of the crime in hancock county didn't involve personal injury and it was mostly sad, alcohol related behavour.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:27 AM

9,768 posts, read 14,914,214 times
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up working for those who kept their swords.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 PM

2,052 posts, read 4,053,129 times
There HAS to be more to the story than meets the eye!

Lock and load for the holiday travel season.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM

35 posts, read 118,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

I believe that it has *always* been time for all good citizens to be armed, both for defense against common criminals and over-zealous government. A population who gives up their arms, whether by choice or by force, is defenseless and forced to depend on the good will of armed criminals and governments. History and experience show us that such dependence has never been particularly wise.

That's a horribly outdated, short-sighted and paranoid statement.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 5,487,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmoresby View Post
Having higher rates of gun ownership is likely to reduce the rate of violent crime. When guns are banned, there is low gun ownership amongst law-abiding citizens. Thus, the criminals know that they are the only ones who are armed. Time and again, when places have banned guns, rates of violent crime and burglary have skyrocketed. When law-abiding citizens are disarmed, the criminals are free to terrorize the public with no threat of consequence

Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM

2,052 posts, read 4,053,129 times
I do believe that in the USC, the term militia member is described as every able bodied male, between the age of 16 and 40 years old.

Militia is not the National Guard!!!!!!

Patriots Day commemorates the sacrifices of men under the command of Col. Parker, when Gen. Guage marched his men into Lexington and Concord to confiscate caches of muskets, powder and ball.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:53 PM

30,652 posts, read 49,332,625 times
Quote:

Zymer:
"I believe that it has *always* been time for all good citizens to be armed, both for defense against common criminals and over-zealous government. A population who gives up their arms, whether by choice or by force, is defenseless and forced to depend on the good will of armed criminals and governments. History and experience show us that such dependence has never been particularly wise."

And yet a statement of which I whole heartedly agree with.

Little ole' short-sighted and paranoid [yet historically accurate] me.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 PM

35 posts, read 118,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Having higher rates of gun ownership is likely to reduce the rate of violent crime. When guns are banned, there is low gun ownership amongst law-abiding citizens. Thus, the criminals know that they are the only ones who are armed. Time and again, when places have banned guns, rates of violent crime and burglary have skyrocketed. When law-abiding citizens are disarmed, the criminals are free to terrorize the public with no threat of consequence
Gun laws should be tougher overall, for law-abiding citizens and criminals, of course. It is very, very difficult to own a gun in New York City and the crime rate is relatively low and crimes are confined to certain areas for the most part. I think it would be far worse if many law-abiding citizens here (NY) would be allowed to have guns. Of course Maine is a bit different. I don't think the fact that a lot of people in Maine own guns is what keeps crime down. In fact, I'm sure a lot of domestic violence is committed with firearms kept at home, although I can't back this up with statistics. Also, look how often kids shoot themselves playing with guns they find at home (sure, they need to be locked up, but still....). Once is too often, IMO. I would NOT feel safer with a gun in the house, I would feel less safe. This is true in Maine or New York. I think the police do an adequate enough job of protecting law-abiding citizens and I'm sure police in most parts of the country would rather see fewer guns owned by law-abiding citizens.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:03 PM

30,652 posts, read 49,332,625 times
Quote:
Gun laws should be tougher overall, for law-abiding citizens and criminals, of course.

... and I'm sure police in most parts of the country would rather see fewer guns owned by law-abiding citizens.
I am a member of the F.O.P. [Fraternal Order of Police], one of the two LEO unions in the USA.

I worked for six years doing LEO duties, and when I retired I was a Shift Commander in a Police Department in charge of a shift of forty Military Police Officers.

I maintain contacts within the LEO community, I attend F.O.P. meetings and conventions. Although I currently hold no office within the organization.

I disagree with both of your statements.

I do not think that: "Gun laws should be tougher overall, ..."

And I do not know of any LEO who "would rather see fewer guns owned by law-abiding citizens"

Old 12-14-2007, 03:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,723,545 times
I also know of NO LEO who would agree with that....I have friends and relatives who are Staties, Sheriff Dept, and the local town guys and reservation guys....

tougher gun laws do not = lower crime and there is not one single statistic that accurately reflects that they do. Criminals, after all, do not usually acquire their guns legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or