U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2007, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Teton Valley Idaho
7,395 posts, read 11,512,943 times
Reputation: 5403

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmoresby View Post
That's a horribly outdated, short-sighted and paranoid statement.
you know the more I read that, the more annoyed I am....you could have just said, "I disagree" or "in my opinion".....instead you choose *that*....how very, very rude.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-14-2007 at 09:03 PM..

 
Old 12-14-2007, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Boothbay, ME
35 posts, read 115,510 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post

ok, just read through your old posts....now I understand.
I'm sorry, I don't think I know what you're getting at.
 
Old 12-14-2007, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Maine
5,969 posts, read 11,136,966 times
Reputation: 5240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmoresby View Post
Gun laws should be tougher overall, for law-abiding citizens and criminals, of course. It is very, very difficult to own a gun in New York City and the crime rate is relatively low and crimes are confined to certain areas for the most part. I think it would be far worse if many law-abiding citizens here (NY) would be allowed to have guns.
It's too bad citizens and allowed are together.

What improper things are law-abiding citizens going to do with guns?


Quote:
Of course Maine is a bit different. I don't think the fact that a lot of people in Maine own guns is what keeps crime down. In fact, I'm sure a lot of domestic violence is committed with firearms kept at home, although I can't back this up with statistics.
If you can't back it up how can you be sure? And do you include abusers in the same category with law-abiding citizens?


Quote:
Also, look how often kids shoot themselves playing with guns they find at home (sure, they need to be locked up, but still....).
How many? Precisely, with credible data.

Quote:
Once is too often, IMO. I would NOT feel safer with a gun in the house, I would feel less safe. This is true in Maine or New York. I think the police do an adequate enough job of protecting law-abiding citizens and I'm sure police in most parts of the country would rather see fewer guns owned by law-abiding citizens.
How are you sure of this?

I can get to my rifle in 30 seconds and load it in a few more seconds. There isn't a police department here. The Sheriff's department and the State Police aren't going to get here in 30 and few seconds. They're both based 50+ miles from me. There might be a car nearby but it's rare. It's a big county that lacks the number of officers it needs because of budget cuts. Who do you think I depend on to protect me? Law enforcement officers who aren't here or myself?
 
Old 12-14-2007, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Maine
497 posts, read 1,373,503 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
When I was Police Officer there were many incidents that didn't make the news. People were always asking me..........."What was going on at such and such place the other night, I saw 4 cruisers and a ambulance"? Well the reality is 99% of the time things take place with out anyone ever knowing. Its very possible what Petertherock is saying is true. Things like that (hotel incidents) happen all the time...not really that big of a deal.
That's true. I hear stuff like this on the scanner almost every night. Now the motel that this happened at is known for drug activity so it's quite possible (likely) that it was drug related. The cops did a great job in catching these criminals as they usually do. There are assaults, robberies, B&Es, and other crimes that happen every night in Portland that don't make the news. The other night again in South Portland someone through a rock through a window of someone's house and broke a couple other windows in South Portland and SPPD and Scarborough PD were trying to track the person with a dog. I don't believe they ever caught that bozo.

Moderator cut: racist content

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-14-2007 at 08:58 PM..
 
Old 12-14-2007, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Boothbay, ME
35 posts, read 115,510 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I also know of NO LEO who would agree with that....I have friends and relatives who are Staties, Sheriff Dept, and the local town guys and reservation guys....

tougher gun laws do not = lower crime and there is not one single statistic that accurately reflects that they do. Criminals, after all, do not usually acquire their guns legally.
Okay, I guess people are more reckless in New York than in Maine (file that under 'duh'). The situation is reversed in New York. I'm pretty sure cops want to see less guns on the streets here, no matter in whose hands. The tougher gun laws issue is a tricky one, people in rural states are far more in favor of guns than in urban areas. I grew up in Europe where NOBODY had guns in the house, or very, very few people. And there was no crime whatsoever. And I grew up near a big city, too. That is part of the reason I feel so strongly about not having a gun in the house.
 
Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Maine
497 posts, read 1,373,503 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmoresby View Post
Gun laws should be tougher overall, for law-abiding citizens and criminals, of course. It is very, very difficult to own a gun in New York City and the crime rate is relatively low and crimes are confined to certain areas for the most part. I think it would be far worse if many law-abiding citizens here (NY) would be allowed to have guns. Of course Maine is a bit different. I don't think the fact that a lot of people in Maine own guns is what keeps crime down. In fact, I'm sure a lot of domestic violence is committed with firearms kept at home, although I can't back this up with statistics. Also, look how often kids shoot themselves playing with guns they find at home (sure, they need to be locked up, but still....). Once is too often, IMO. I would NOT feel safer with a gun in the house, I would feel less safe. This is true in Maine or New York. I think the police do an adequate enough job of protecting law-abiding citizens and I'm sure police in most parts of the country would rather see fewer guns owned by law-abiding citizens.
I have never seen a criminal who has obeyed a gun law. Gun laws do not make it harder for criminals to get guns. Gun laws make it harder for law abiding citizens to defend themselves from the criminals. The states with the toughest gun laws have the highest violent crime. That is a fact.
 
Old 12-14-2007, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Maine
497 posts, read 1,373,503 times
Reputation: 183
Keep this in mind. In the entire state of Maine there are only about 2 dozen state police officers on shift at a time. Most of them are on the turnpike area. If you have a violent crime happen you may only have 1 state police officer responding into a situation that usually calls for at least 2 or 3 officers if not more. In Portland and South Portland they don't even do a routine traffic stop with less than 2 cruisers. I can't say I blame them.
 
Old 12-14-2007, 04:29 PM
 
Location: South Portland, Maine
2,356 posts, read 4,937,908 times
Reputation: 1511
Quote:
Gun laws should be tougher overall, for law-abiding citizens and criminals, of course.
In your opinion?

Quote:
It is very, very difficult to own a gun in New York City and the crime rate is relatively low and crimes are confined to certain areas for the most part. I think it would be far worse if many law-abiding citizens here (NY) would be allowed to have guns.
In every instance...the city with the strictest gun laws will have more crime. NY lower crime rate was because of a strict and concerted effort from the NYPD to enforce all petty crimes.....its called the broken window theory and has been very successful all over.

Quote:
Of course Maine is a bit different. I don't think the fact that a lot of people in Maine own guns is what keeps crime down. In fact, I'm sure a lot of domestic violence is committed with firearms kept at home, although I can't back this up with statistics. Also, look how often kids shoot themselves playing with guns they find at home (sure, they need to be locked up, but still....). Once is too often, IMO.
Yes Maine is different very liberal gun laws and a low crime rate. Using that theory we should outlaw motor vehicles too, especially for teenagers?

Quote:
I would NOT feel safer with a gun in the house, I would feel less safe. This is true in Maine or New York. I think the police do an adequate enough job of protecting law-abiding citizens and I'm sure police in most parts of the country would rather see fewer guns owned by law-abiding citizens
I spent 10 years working as a police officer both in DC and here in Maine. Most Police officers "do not" support tougher gun laws, as a matter of fact I can't think of any that would. The mere fact we chose a profession surrounded by guns shows our general interest in them. Chiefs sometimes will to appease a liberal constituency. Most Police Officers I know support our ability to have intregity and use our knowledge and experience to succesfully use racial profiling.

Its a hot debate...and this not intended for you... but in all of the debates I have had about this issue they were all but 1 with a women.......and all were with people that had no experience using a gun and really didn't know the facts.
 
Old 12-14-2007, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,724 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Reputation: 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmoresby View Post
... I grew up in Europe where NOBODY had guns in the house, or very, very few people. And there was no crime whatsoever. And I grew up near a big city, too. That is part of the reason I feel so strongly about not having a gun in the house.
I was homeported in Scotland for eight years, owned a home and lived there for three years.

I was stationed in Italy for three years.

I have been to Spain, France, Austria, Greece.

I have served in the Kosovo region killing Christians.

I have never observed your region of Europe, the region without crime. I would like to visit such a place one day.

If you came from a place in Europe without crime, I would sure like to visit that place sometime. I rather doubt that folks living there today would agree with your memory of their crime rate.
 
Old 12-14-2007, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,724 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Reputation: 17577
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
... Chiefs sometimes will to appease a liberal constituency. Most Police Officers I know support our ability to have intregity and use our knowledge and experience to succesfully use racial profiling.

Its a hot debate...and this not intended for you... but in all of the debates I have had about this issue they were all but 1 with a women.......and all were with people that had no experience using a gun and really didn't know the facts.
Two good points.

I have observed Police Chiefs who have made public statements in support of gun control laws, while in their personal lives they were gun enthusiasts.

Also a good point about who the anti-gun people are.

Among my relatives I have one SIL who is anti-guns. She is very Liberal, active in politics, scared to death of guns, has never handled a firearm, and is in favour of outlawing firearms in America.

She is my only relative who is anti-guns.

A female,
with no experience using a gun,
and really does not know the facts about firearm usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top