U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:14 PM

378 posts, read 718,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Thank you.

I agree that being a LEO out somewhere by himself and isolated is 'bad'.

However I do not follow the link between that idea of the growth of Blackwater and 'Executive Outcomes'.

To my understanding Blackwater and 'Executive Outcomes' are very professional groups and fairly good at self-policing. They really are not a threat to stateside LEO.

Executive outcomes? New to me. Yikes. Thanks for heads-up.

Well, Blackwater may not be a threat to LEO but ... they're definitely ramping up their share of problems. Disarming folks in NO (videos on youtube, surprised me TOO) the problems in iraq and denying information to and suing the families of the guys that were lost in service ... Many folks believe and there is evidence piling up that Blackwater is a private army and this is not a happy thought.
Whoo there has been so MUCH on blackwater in the news that I thought they'd be disappearing and reappearing under a new name by now. But, to say more would likely be off-topic.
Boy, you got that right. (WAY WAY different)

Florida is a different culture.

this is saying my message is too short so i'm typing some nonsense so hopefully it will change its mind and let me post??? quick red fox jumps over the lazy brown something or other ....

okay now I see why ... forest if it were anyone but you I'd fix this but I know you'll figure out that somehow I put my words in the quote. sorry I'm being rushed ... dang. my life ... is like a cup of java to go some days.

UPDATE: Okay I have been able to return. I am at the mall and was afraid my connection would not work upstairs where they made me move and it's okay now i'm sitting on the floor. LOL. They toss everyone out of the downstairs at ten ten thirty and bolt it down in what seems to be an attempt to keep the teens in one place. LOL. I LOVE teenagers so ...
But, I do understand they need to stop the mall-wandering at some point, I guess.
The movie-theater is still open, however so we 'teens' (LOL) are allowed up here. I'm waiting for someone to exit a movie I did not want to see.
OH !!! New laptop... oh my god it's ON FIRE compared to the old snail thing which still had one of those ... eraser-like pointers so that I have a permanent dent in my sore index finger.
And, you wonder why I couldn't keep up with the forum?? Bloody fingertips.
All kidding aside, I am VERY VERY grateful that I even have the old rattletrap ... it got me through some very rough spots when I needed it. Now this new sleek racehorse will surely replace it.
Anyway, I fixed this as best I could, forest.
Thanks for your understanding if you were still around before I was able to do so.

Last edited by mainewannabe; 12-14-2007 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: i'm slow and tired ....

Old 12-14-2007, 08:52 PM

35 posts, read 80,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Excuse me? I'm not sensitive at all, I just don't like people whose main goal is stirring the pot, with zero fact and just personal feelings that have no basis in reality. Then trying to pass them off as necessary for the rest of mankind to follow. You don't like guns, big whoopee, don't call for a total ban on them when the hard numbers back-up as well, as our Constitution the right to have them and the effectiveness of having them in deterring crime and violence. I personally would rather live in a high crime area with a neighbor who was vocal about their distaste for firearms, gives the crooks an easy target and they leave my stuff alone. Don't like our gun laws, go back to Europe, simple. Oh yeah, better tell the Swiss their views are against the norm for Europe and they should drop their whole view on an armed populous. Their crime rate may drop dramatically.
Go back to New York, go back to Europe, is that how you respond to someone who criticizes something about Maine? That's really not the way to do it. Let's not resort to name calling either.

Anyway, maybe I was wrong about the police, I would think that they wouldn't want people to have guns, but I guess that's not the case.

Listen, I could go out and dig up 20 studies that have something positive to say about gun control and 20 that say the exact opposite. I just don't have the time. I never said NO guns at all, I think SOME form of gun control is useful and sensible. Moderation is the key. Who needs assault rifles, for example? They should be banned, flat-out.

I don't think gun ownership has anything to do with crime. Gun ownership in Switzerland is high = little crime, Gun ownership in Austria, Germany is very low = also little crime. Gun ownership in Canada high = little crime. We all know how it is here. We can't handle guns. We as a whole, all Americans, not just the law-abiding citizens. So I think some gun control is very useful, yes. I guess I am 'outgunned' here as many here have guns and are very bullish in protecting their rights. Fine. Gun control is a very touchy subject. I think the 2nd amendment is outdated and it doesn't really apply to today's society.

I would appreciate a civil discussion about this without name-calling and telling people to go back to where they came from. That isn't going to get anything accomplished.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:04 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,790,577 times
Moderation........................................ .................................................? ????????????????????????

THE SECOND AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DEER AND DUCK HUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE SECOND AMENDMENT ASSURES THAT THE POPULATION CAN OUT GUN THE GOVERNMENT!

END OF STORY!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,028,439 times
Default Enough is Enough, methinks

So a thread that ostensibly started as a report of some minor crime in Portland has turned into, amongst other things, a raging debate on gun control laws.

As shown by the response to the subject of gun control in this thread, it is a very controversial topic, and, as such, is not suitable for a state forum.

Any members wishing to pursue an exchange of ideas on gun control should make use of the Politics and Other Controversial Topics forum.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine