U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,582,235 times

Advertisements

Instructions for cooking turkey in front of fireplace:

Stuff and truss turkey (they used 9 lb heritage birds)
rub with salt and pepper
hang from a thin rope in fron of fire over a pan to catch grease
twist string so turkey twirls in front of fire
keep fire hot with a weeks worth of firewood
admire somewhat primitive scene.

my recommended method -same as above but:

place a rock that will fit uinto turkey body cavity in fireplace before starting fire.
line fire screen with aluminum foil on fire side
start fairly large fire and let burn to coals
Insert heated rock into bird with tongs - caution rock is HOT
truss bird - watch out for steam issuing from body cavity of bird - rock is still HOT
place on string in front of fire
place foil lined screen between turkey and room
start bird twirling
cook until done, remove rock and let turkey sit for a while then carve and serve
put rock back in fire to burn off the turkey grease

this should create a more intense cooking zone and take less time to cook turkey. rock cooks turkey from inside and foil reflects heat back into fire. this technique, including rock but not foil is about 10,000 years old or more.

enjoy

Last edited by GregW; 12-14-2007 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: corrections to technique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 01:09 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,140,048 times
Default Needhams

Mum's recipe for Needhams.

3/4 c. mashed potatoes
1/2 tsp salt
2 lbs confectionery sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 lb flaked coconut
2 tsp vanilla
Chocolate for dipping

Mix all ingredients into mashed potato. Cook in a double boiler until well mixed and creamy. Spread in a 9 x 13 pan and refrigerate until cold. Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Cut filling into squares and dip in melted chocolate.

Mum made these for her father for years. They were his favorite candy. He asked for the recipe one year, discovered the mashed potato and never ate them again!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:37 PM

38,431 posts, read 18,194,748 times
lol maine writer! I remember as a kid being fascinated when my Grammy or my father made needhams. I remember dad starting off with a cold boiled potato--not even mashed potato. When he made needhams he also invariably made chocolate covered raisins clusters, dropped to cool on waxed paper--and often peanut butter stuffed dates, some with a roll in shredded coconut and some not.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:10 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,917,960 times
Not being a Mainer (yet) I do not... but I have some interesting things from my research... that I make, such as REAL mincemeat (from when it was made with meat!) and soda crackers from scratch...

Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 PM

2,052 posts, read 3,976,213 times
Wink mincemeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Not being a Mainer (yet) I do not... but I have some interesting things from my research... that I make, such as REAL mincemeat (from when it was made with meat!) and soda crackers from scratch...
Up in my neck of the woods, we use the neck meat of the moose and set the whole batch in a cool area of the shop, or fridge for 3-4 weeks. Ummmm!

Old 12-14-2007, 02:31 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,917,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Up in my neck of the woods, we use the neck meat of the moose and set the whole batch in a cool area of the shop, or fridge for 3-4 weeks. Ummmm!
I'd love to see your recipe... mine is based on beef, since I have yet to live where moose was available.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:39 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,140,048 times
I made mincemeat with the neck from Steve's deer this year. I have just two quarts left in the freezer.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:46 PM

2,052 posts, read 3,976,213 times
Just use your moose, venison, elk or caribou as you would beef. I use the Fanny Farmer recipe.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,515,510 times
tomorrow when I'm not so tired I'll post my molasses cookie recipe

or darn you guys, have I all ready done that? shoot, tell me if I have....have I been here so long I'm telling the same stories too?? geez....

oh, I have a date filled cookie one too....does anyone have any Christmas candy recipes? I haven't made candy since high school, and I'll look through the old cookbooks tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask I'm thinking the hard candy mostly, but anything would be great to share!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 PM

38,431 posts, read 18,194,748 times
You havent since I've been around and I would love to see 'em. This is a lot of fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine