U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:24 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,154,060 times

Advertisements

Unusual and old recipes huh? I just might have to dig out my Grandmothers cookbook she used from the late 20's. I have a stack of them in the kitchen spice cabinet. There are some rather odd, but good ones in them. I love going through them and finding the ones she has marked as favorites. Some rather odd ones for sure, some of the things they ask for I haven't a clue what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 AM

5,054 posts, read 10,934,793 times
I have been told that at Christmas, my aunt is giving me all my grandmother's old cookbooks and her recipe box with her handwritten recipes in it! I can't wait to go through it all. What a treasure!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:06 AM

38,429 posts, read 18,192,137 times
Yes what a treasure! I have my Grams and her aunt's (the lady who kept the journal) but in the old days they did a disconcerting thing.....they pasted cut out recipes and articles over the older ones in the same book so the really old ones are covered over with things from the 1930' and 40's. When you get back to the turn of the century there were more home remedies than recipes...but without emergency rooms and few doctors a mother had to know how to dx and treat whooping cough and ear aches and a host of serious diseases.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:11 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,154,060 times
I've seen the same thing elston, I'm lucky that my Grandmother never did that, she would keep the ones that were loose in a big envelope, then later she put them in a photo album that she could just open up and use like a regular cookbook. All her handwritten ones are in one of these and I think my Mom has that one.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:16 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,514,558 times
I also have handwritten ones from my grandmother and mother....they mean a lot to me

In the Maine Rebekah's cookbook that the date cookies and molasses cookies are from there are recipes for soap (including "floating soap") and lotion I love it!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:34 AM

454 posts, read 780,853 times
This was served as the cake at my great-grandmother's Yule handfasting (Christmas wedding) in 1898. It was converted to a "2 loaf" recipe by my grandmother during the depression so that making it was more economical (?) (Don't really understand her thinking there..1 big cake, 2 smaller loafs = same amount to me..lol).
Note: It is incredibly dense, and has a strong, spicy flavor. This is gingerbread the way it was meant to be (according to gram!)

Mother’s Gingerbread

3/4 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter, softened
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup molasses
½ cup boiling water
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ginger
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp allspice
3/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp milk
½ tsp vanilla

Stoke heat to moderate. (heat oven to 350°F).
Grease two loaf pans and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream brown sugar and butter until fluffy, then add the eggs and mix well.
Mix the molasses, water, and baking soda in a separate bowl, and then add that mixture to the creamed sugar; stir until well blended.
Sift together flour, baking powder and spices, and add to mixture slowly, just until mixed.
Divide the batter evenly among the two pans and bake in the heat for 30-40 minutes or until it springs back when touched lightly in the center.
Remove from heat and cool in pans for 15 minutes, then remove the breads from the pans to cool completely on towel. (I use a wire rack)
To prepare glaze, mix together the sugar, vanilla and milk, adding the milk gradually until it has a drizzling consistency.
Spread the glaze over the gingerbread when barely warm.
Store gingerbread in a airtight container in icebox.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 PM

303 posts, read 1,290,606 times
Default Molly, did you eat the molasses ones?

I'd love to find out if they are still around. I haven't seen them when I've been up there.
Is the Rebekah cookbook you have a current one or vintage? My hubby loves date nut foods.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:01 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,917,622 times
Default Microwave mug cupcake 1 - I guess these count as "unusual".. they sure ain't old!

Microwave Mug Cupcake, chocolate version

Servings: 1
Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil

Directions:

1. Mix dry ingredients in mug.
2. Add egg and mix together.
3. Add milk and oil and mix.
4. Microwave mug and contents for three minutes.

NOTE: The cupcake is going to rise in a large column out of the mug …only to collapse when you take it out of the microwave. (or while sitting there, cooling a bit.. as I did the last time I made it… ) At this point I was looking at the unattractive top of my “cupcake” …. It looked awful…. But tasted great! I was afraid it would be dry and rubbery, but it wasn’t - it was moist, and delicious too! The consistency was different than an oven-baked cupcake, more dense then I expected, but nonetheless chocolaty and satisfying! I will definitely be making this again.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,917,622 times
Default Microwave mug cupcake 2 - I guess these count as "unusual".. they sure ain't old!

Microwave Mug Cupcake - non-chocolate version

Ingredients

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons oil
dash vanilla extract or lemon extract (or whatever flavor you would like)
1 large coffee mug

Directions

1. Add the dry ingredients to the cup and stir together.
2. Stir in the egg, water, oil and extract of choice.
3. Microwave for 3 minutes (1000 watts).
4. The cake should rise to the top of the mug.
5. Allow to cool a little and turn out onto a plate.
6. This would actually serve 2-4 easily, but if you want to indulge and eat it all, I won't tell.

I have not actually tried this one (yet) but included it in the pile I gave my friend for her kiddos to try.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,934,793 times
Yum!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine