U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,914,210 times

Advertisements

Boughten Cake Mix Version

INGREDIENTS

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup powdered lemonade mix

DIRECTIONS

1. Check your coffee mugs to make sure each one holds 1 1/2 cups water.
2. Place dry cake mix and dry pudding mix into a large bowl and blend well with a whisk. This will be about 4 to 4 1/2 cups of dry mix and will make 8 coffee cup cake mixes. Divide mix into 8 small plastic bags (about 1/2 cup each). Place mix into a corner of each bag and tie it there with a twist tie.
3. Make glaze mix: in a medium bowl, combine confectioners sugar with powdered flavoring mix. Divide into 8 small plastic bags and close bag with a twist tie. Attach each glaze mix to the cake mix bags with a twist tie. Place one of each bag into each cup.
4. Attach the following instructions to each cup: Generously spray inside of cup with cooking spray. Empty contents of cake mix packet in cup. Add 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 tablespoon water to dry mix. Mix 15 seconds, carefully mixing in all dry mix. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes. While cake is cooking, place ingredients from Glaze mix into a very small container and add 1 1/2 teaspoon water. Mix well. When cake is done, pour glaze over cake in cup. Enjoy while warm.

I was going to do this one tonight but spaced it when we were at the store, as the only "ingredient" we typically keep on hand is the powdered sugar~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 AM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times
Honey: (an old time recipe)

This is to be used on hot biscuits or toast or sliced bread or as a topping for coffee cake.

5 pounds sugar
1 1/8 pints hot water
Alum size of a cherry
20 Red Clover Blossoms
12 White Clover Blossoms
8 Pink Roses (only PINK roses will do)

Melt the sugar with water and add alum and boil for two minutes. Remove from the fire and immediately add the petals of the blossoms and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain and bottle.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 AM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times
Another old fashion recipe to make due with what you had...

Scalloped Onions

6 onions
Cracker crumbs, coarse

Slice and boil onion 10 minutes and drain. Roll 4 Common crackers coarsely. Arrange onions and crackers in layers in a buttered baking dish. Season each layer with salt pepper and small pieces of butter. Pour 3 cups of hot milk over the whole. Bake 30 mins at 375 degrees.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Another old fashion recipe to make due with what you had...

Scalloped Onions

6 onions
Cracker crumbs, coarse

Slice and boil onion 10 minutes and drain. Roll 4 Common crackers coarsely. Arrange onions and crackers in layers in a buttered baking dish. Season each layer with salt pepper and small pieces of butter. Pour 3 cups of hot milk over the whole. Bake 30 mins at 375 degrees.
Sounds very tasty elston!
We happened to love onions .

Old 02-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,154,607 times
All these recipes remind me of when I was a kid. My parents grew up in that generation when electricity wasn't used in houses yet. I learned to cook a lot of things over an open fire (or in it) or on wood burning stoves. We used to can sausage that way. There's a plant called ramps that grows wild in NC. We used to meet my aunt and her husband, and they would go ramp hunting with my parents. They would bring what they found back and my dad would cook them over an open fire to go with the fried chicken and fried fish my mom brought along.
I've got some recipes from south Louisiana, too. Most people have heard of etoufee, gumbo and jambalaya (that's on tonight's menu) But have you heard of a Cajun microwave? Or potato stew? I don't mind sharing recipes. And if anyone has a recipe for Mississippi Mud Cake, I lost mine years ago and would like to find that recipe again.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:05 AM

473 posts, read 614,379 times
a few years back yankee magazine had the a mississippi mud cake recipe used by one of our presidents sometime in the early 1900's (cant remember which one) dont know how that came to be in a yankee mag, but i did tear it out and i'll look to see if i can find it anywhere

Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Homemade mincemeat sounds great. I love mincemeat pies, but haven't made one for years. The frozen pies are just not that special. It's my impression that the jarred mincemeat is less common (maybe not featured) in stores than it used to be this time of year. Wondering if mincemeat pie is becoming a "historical" food for those of us who don't make our own. Many young folks don't know what it is.
there's a place in hallowell, thats been a store over 140 years,(and many floods) reknowned for thier mincemeat recipe.

the stores name is Boyntons market ,,,right on main street hallowell,
todays owner (karen) still makes it as they did 100 yrs ago.

husseys store in windsor also sells mincemeat (venison)

i remember selling mincemeat pies in stores 25 yrs ago, went very well around christmas,,,,the younger generation hasnt acquired a taste for it, doesnt sell like it use to (mailhot and lacasse, two companies out of lewiston use to sell a huge amount of these pies)

Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
Does anyone have the good old recipe for Apple Brownies? (rebecca's cookbook)

Old 03-04-2009, 02:08 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,003,232 times
Laura Rebecca's Kitchen: Cookbook Spotlight #3 -- Old Fashion Apple Cake Don't know if this is it, but I'll make if if you don't! Good cooks & good people on this Maine group.......

Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,154,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
a few years back yankee magazine had the a mississippi mud cake recipe used by one of our presidents sometime in the early 1900's (cant remember which one) dont know how that came to be in a yankee mag, but i did tear it out and i'll look to see if i can find it anywhere

Oh, yes, please! I might even be persuaded to make one for the clan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine