U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,154,712 times

Advertisements

"Boughten", starwalker? I thought I was giving away my age at times. I haven't heard anybody say that since my mama died!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,781 times
HUH?..........."Boughten"- I thought it was the name of a brand or cookbook!!!

You folks must be from down south?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 PM

38,425 posts, read 18,180,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
HUH?..........."Boughten"- I thought it was the name of a brand or cookbook!!!

You folks must be from down south?
It took me a little while to figure it out.....now I had heard "store bought" used in New England....but "bouthten" was a new one for me.....but I like it and I get it.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,003,613 times
Don't think twice - its alright!......(song lyric)

Old 03-05-2009, 04:21 AM

38,425 posts, read 18,180,970 times
Default Apple Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickapee1962 View Post
Does anyone have the good old recipe for Apple Brownies? (rebecca's cookbook)
I googled apple brownies....there were lots of recipes and variations.... here is one site....but there are lots of them.....i didnt see rebecca's cookbook version.... Apple Brownies Recipes like Apple Chocolate Brownies or Apple Sauce Brownies Recipes

Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
does any one know of a old german recipe called heaven and earth? it is a potato and apple recipe

Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 AM

22 posts, read 45,361 times
The heaven and earth my Gran made was awesome - a completely different take on mashed potatos..if that is what you are looking for here is her recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 450g/1lb Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • Salt and Black Pepper
  • 450g/1lb Apples, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 tbsp Sugar
  • 4 Onions, thinly sliced
  • 100g/4oz Streaky Bacon, chopped
  • Approx 90ml/3fl.oz. Milk
  • 25g/1oz Butter
  • Freshly grated Nutmeg
Preparation:

1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with salted water, bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes or until very tender.

2. Meanwhile, place the apples in another saucepan together with the sugar, cover with water, bring to the boil then cook for 15-20 minutes or until very tender.

3. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan until very hot, add the bacon and cook over a high heat until the fat begins to run.

4. Add the onions, and sauté until browned.

5. Drain the apples, allow to cool a little then transfer to a food processor and process to a sauce.

6. Drain the potatoes well, return to the rinsed out saucepan and mash coarsely together with milk, butter, black pepper and nutmeg.

7. Mix the apple sauce with the potato.

8. To serve - transfer to a warmed serving platter and top with the onion mixture.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,936,023 times
Default My homade mac & cheese

Kosher salt
1 (16-ounce) package macaroni (cellentani or other curly noodle)
1/4 pound bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to butter baking dish
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (unbleached)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups grated fontina
1/2 cup muenster
3/4 cup grated Gruyere
3/4 cup grated white Cheddar (Australian)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
1/4 cup bread crumbs

oven to 450 degrees F and butter a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.

In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, saute the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Saute the onion in the bacon drippings until soft. Add the 5 tablespoons butter to the onion mixture and melt the butter stirring with a wooden spoon.

Using a whisk, add the flour, and stir constantly until well mixed with the fat making a roux. Whisk in the mustard. Gradually add the milk and cream whisking constantly.

Add the thyme, bay leaf, and salt. Let come to a simmer and stir frequently for 15 minutes.

Strain the hot milk mixture into a metal bowl and discard the solids. Working quickly, mix in 1 cup fontina, blue cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere, 1/2 cup white Cheddar, 1/2 cup Parmesan, the reserved bacon, and parsley. Continue to stir until all cheese is melted.

Add the cooked noodles to the cheese mixture to coat. Add the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish. Mix the remaining cheese and bread crumbs together and sprinkle on top of the noodles. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Remove from oven when done and rest for 5 minutes

This is the best Mac&Cheese I have ever had!! the cheese can get expensive but its worth it!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:37 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
RECIPE FOR FRIENDSHIP
1 well-rounded tbls. of understanding.
1 heaping tsp. of support.
3 good measures of honesty.
1 over-flowing cup of sharing.

Combine all ingredients over a period of time, being sure to add a generous sprinkling of laughter.

Serve generous portions and savor well.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Post of the week, right there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine