U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:07 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
Bydand,
I would love to buy just 2-4 acres in Aroostook county instead of 64 acres! Let me know if you hear of anyone selling for low of price and I'll buy it. What in the world would I do with 57,64, or even 110 acres except pay taxes on something I don't use. Thanks for the input.
Land only or land and house? I'll keep my eyes and ears open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 04:28 PM

1,815 posts, read 4,267,470 times
I don't practice in Northern Maine, so I don't know the market like I do in the Portland area. All I can do is point out facts, people can judge for themselves.

The 2006 National Association of REALTORS® Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers, based on more than 7,500 responses to a questionnaire mailed to a large national sample of consumers located through county deed records, shows that the downtrend in the number of for-sale-by-owner transactions is clear, currently at a record-low market share of 12 percent; it was 13 percent in 2005. The level of FSBOs has been on a sustained decline since reaching a cyclical peak of 18 percent in 1997. In addition, a higher share of FSBO properties are not placed on the open market - 40 percent of those transactions were "closely held" between parties who knew each other in advance (family or acquaintances), up from 39 percent in 2005 and 32 percent in 2004.

If you factor out those 40% of the 12%, you are at just over 7%. One would conclude that in a hot sellers market FSBO sales would increase, the converse is true in challenging markets.

Nearly 500 existing single family home are sold in Aroostook County each year. Is Northern Maine really all that different from the rest of the United States?

Old 12-16-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Nearly 500 existing single family home are sold in Aroostook County each year. Is Northern Maine really all that different from the rest of the United States?
In a word: YES. Like no place I've ever lived really. They are VERY independent and while there are plenty of Realtors here, people tend to do things on their own and not want to pay the 6.5% commission they get up here. When things get tight, everybody I know, looks at that and figures the sale price could be at least that amount lower without the "interference" of a Realtor. No I do not feel this way personally. I have learned a lot from the Realtors I know. If oyu have to ask if "The County" is really that much different, you must not have been through the area before. Come on up, there are some wonderful areas and some fine people. There are some rather unique things to see and do that are not all that common. How many times can you say you X-country skied on a world class trail that has been used for major national competition? We can all winter. Come up in the summer for some great lakes, rivers, festivals, all without the crush of tourists.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:10 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Forest I think the key word in the post about 85% being done through a Realtor would be "Nationally." Which is obviously very different than our experiences in Maine. I have no doubt that Nationally 85% are sold through Realtors, I would highly doubt that more than 60-70% are done in Northern Maine by a Realtor. I can honestly think of 1 involving people I know, the other 8 transactions I know of in the last 2 years was private party to private party.
That sounds about right.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
... The 2006 National Association of REALTORS® Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers, based on more than 7,500 responses to a questionnaire mailed to a large national sample of consumers ...
There you go.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:34 PM

474 posts, read 1,238,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Relax,

How much land do you want?

What kind of house?

You mentioned paying too much in taxes, what kind of tax bill did you have in mind?
Hi Forest,

Remember, I'm stuck down in the surburbs and have a tendancy to get uptight real easy and worry! LOL Right now, I would be happy with 2-5 acres somewhere that had power available. Even a nice in town lot would be okay and then I could pay off the land until I can retire and move up forever. If jobs were plentiful, I'd move in the morning! LOL

Thanks for your help and understanding.

Take care,

Old 12-16-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
... Right now, I would be happy with 2-5 acres somewhere that had power available. Even a nice in town lot would be okay and then I could pay off the land until I can retire and move up forever. If jobs were plentiful, I'd move in the morning! LOL
Would you be happy with 5 acres on the road [power, phone, DSL, cable], maybe a bit run down [needs fresh paint, caulk around the windows, lacking up to date insulation]?

If you were willing to buy a 'run-down' fixer-upper, you might be able to get something fairly cheap. Take a summer to wrap it with insulation and to re-side it. Then you could live in it, and each year upgrade one or two things. In five years, it could be completely up to snuff.

If you were willing to do this, you might find a house for 'a song and a dance'.

I have seen dozens of deserted looking old farmhouses alongside the roads on Maine.

But none of the cheap housing in Maine is listed on the MLS.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:05 PM

474 posts, read 1,238,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Would you be happy with 5 acres on the road [power, phone, DSL, cable], maybe a bit run down [needs fresh paint, caulk around the windows, lacking up to date insulation]?

If you were willing to buy a 'run-down' fixer-upper, you might be able to get something fairly cheap. Take a summer to wrap it with insulation and to re-side it. Then you could live in it, and each year upgrade one or two things. In five years, it could be completely up to snuff.

If you were willing to do this, you might find a house for 'a song and a dance'.

I have seen dozens of deserted looking old farmhouses alongside the roads on Maine.

But none of the cheap housing in Maine is listed on the MLS.

This doesn't sound like a bad idea at all! I'm very good at working on the small things - all inside work except plumbing. And for the outside I don't do anything on the roof! LOL How would I go out looking at something? I've seen places that appear to be abandoned, but wouldn't have the first clue how to contact the owners. I know they don't live in the house! LOL We are coming up Christmas week to look at some land near Machias. That is if we don't get snowed in at the Detriot airport! Clean the airport in Bangor and here we come! LOL

Old 12-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
This doesn't sound like a bad idea at all! I'm very good at working on the small things - all inside work except plumbing. And for the outside I don't do anything on the roof! LOL How would I go out looking at something? I've seen places that appear to be abandoned, but wouldn't have the first clue how to contact the owners. I know they don't live in the house! LOL We are coming up Christmas week to look at some land near Machias. That is if we don't get snowed in at the Detriot airport! Clean the airport in Bangor and here we come! LOL
Each town hall has the records of who owns what, and which properties are behind in their taxes. [hint, hint]

Drive around, and make notes of what you like. Stop by their town office and ask, then if that property is up-to-date on their taxes, write the owner a letter. Make them an offer. When they accept your offer, than contact a land transfer lawyer to seal the deal.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 PM

If you see a piece of property you find interesting, go to the town office with the address of the place (or as close as you can guess and a description) and you can look it up on the plat maps. Most likely the town clerk will know the place, who the owners are, along with the complete history. Land ownership is a matter of public record and usually whomever pays the taxes is as well. Get the address, and contact the owners. Worse they can say is no. That is how I bought my house. That is how my brother bought his land and house, along with my parents getting an additional 20 acres behind their house that nobody was using and had an easement across their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine