U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 PM

29,728 posts, read 47,507,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
The seller sets the price and accepts/rejects offers. The REALTOR advises, but it's the seller who signs the listing agreement and Purchase and Sale Agreement.
I once was selling a house, and I had to travel overseas.

The listing agent and I conversed via the mail.

I would ask if it was time for us to lower the price, and she would 'advise' against lowering the price, rather she would than raise the price. We did this many times, until she stopped writing me.

I had a very difficult time trying to sell that house. I had to continue to make mortgage payments on it each month, and then each year the property taxes.

When I was finally able to once again return stateside, three years had gone by. I had been paying mortgage payments on an empty house, that I dearly wanted to sale. We defaulted on the mortgage, and convinced the bank to do a short sale. When the bank sold it, the house sold for,

the price that we had originally asked the listing agent to list it for.

Has she stopped raising the price once. It would have sold, and I would have not paid three years of mortgage payments on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 03:20 PM

5,488 posts, read 6,430,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post

I really can't understand why your agent did not stand up for you (and himself). Perhaps he was afraid to approach you to ask for the commission or was afraid of offending the listing broker, I don't know. Needless to say, that is not the type of agent I would want in my corner negotiating terms and conditions on my behalf! Looks like you did the right thing in not working with him.
He was a "Nice Guy", not a "Shark". We liked him and would have continued to work with him, in fact, I told him I would rather not do the deal at all if it meant being a party to the other agent cheating him. And that is what happened- we didn't go through with the deal.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM

1,815 posts, read 4,269,127 times
forest,

I have to say that you have somehow associated with some of the poorest REALTORS that I have ever heard of. I'm sorry you have such a bad taste in your mouth, but I understand. I have never, ever, ever heard of a REALTOR recommending a price INCREASE on a house that isn't selling -if anything some accuse of us of pricing the house too low to get a quick buck.

Something else stands out here - the REALTOR advises the client decides. We work for you, not the other way around. One of the fiducuary responsibilites we have is obedience, it's right there in the code of ethics. For everybody else out there who is in or is comtemplating a relationship with a REALTOR, please remember - we work for you!

Last edited by WhoFanMe; 12-17-2007 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Additional comments

Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM

378 posts, read 934,916 times
sounds like she was trying to do you in on purpose. Too many agents locally own too much real estate (owner/broker) for my comfort. Sounds like this might be a way they pick some of it up.
BAD experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I once was selling a house, and I had to travel overseas.

The listing agent and I conversed via the mail.

I would ask if it was time for us to lower the price, and she would 'advise' against lowering the price, rather she would than raise the price. We did this many times, until she stopped writing me.

I had a very difficult time trying to sell that house. I had to continue to make mortgage payments on it each month, and then each year the property taxes.

When I was finally able to once again return stateside, three years had gone by. I had been paying mortgage payments on an empty house, that I dearly wanted to sale. We defaulted on the mortgage, and convinced the bank to do a short sale. When the bank sold it, the house sold for,

the price that we had originally asked the listing agent to list it for.

Has she stopped raising the price once. It would have sold, and I would have not paid three years of mortgage payments on it.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:06 PM

WhoFanMe -
People are people, some people are honest and do their best to be good; others do not.

I am not aware of any profession that has any lock of good folk, including clergy.

However there are trends. Trends form our stereotypes.

People who gravitate toward being a police officer, tend to be folks who really should not have that kind of personal power. We can see this in every state, every city. I chose to go through a Police Academy and to serve as a LEO, as an alternative to spending more years living underwater; it was the only option available to me at the time. However while working LEO duties I did have the opportunity of working with folks who had chosen Police work to be their primary career field. Thieves can put on a uniform and badge, it does not change them from being a thief.

I am sure that some realtors are good and honest folk.

However the career field has it's own stereotypes, and I have dealt with realtors who fit those stereotypes. This is why stereotypes exist.

Most ministers have a soft-spoken calm manner, therefore the stereotype for that career field is what it is. Not all ministers are soft-spoken and calm, and some are child predators.

The stereotype of realtors is most certainly NOT one of conforming to any "code of ethics".

Complete strangers can come together on this forum, and while coming from totally different backgrounds, we can agree on the 'realtor' stereotype. Why is that? Well, because we are not babes, we have dealt with realtors, and obviously your clean crisp and ethical image that you try so hard to project simply does not jive with our shared reality.

Sharks could be said to operate according to an ethical code, they eat everything.

Realtors, well, never mind. I have explained why I do not trust realtors. I have fought realtors numerous times. You can say that they are bound by some ethereal code, fine. I have spent far too much time fighting realtors, I have spent far too much money due to the incompetency of a realtor.

Men may have honour, men may be honest, men may work to be ethical, and men may choose to be a realtor. But those qualities are attached to that man, they are not attached to the profession.

Quote:
... For everybody else out there who is in or is comtemplating a relationship with a REALTOR, please remember - we work for you!
Or jab your face with a fork until the desire leaves you.

If the desire stays, jab, again and again, eventually the desire to deal with a realtor will leave you and you will be a far better person for having learned to deal directly with such a desire.

May God bless you.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:22 PM

474 posts, read 1,238,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Well I would invite anybody with unlisted properties or knowledge of such properties to DM me with info. We are looking with in a 50 mile radius of Bangor and are particularly interested in North West of Bangor. Larger tract of farmland with or with out house (fixer upper ok).
If it's on the MLS we've likely already seen it.
Many Thanks!
Forgive me, but I don't know what DM means! Don't laugh!

I would like to add ditto on bignhfamily's comments

I too, want to know about some of these!

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
Forgive me, but I don't know what DM means! Don't laugh!

I would like to add ditto on bignhfamily's comments

I too, want to know about some of these!

Thanks.
Most forums say PM [Personal messaging], here it is DM [Direct Message]

Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM

[quote=mainebrokerman;2271533]hiya luv, here is a list of maine newspapers i found on a search
Maine Newspapers (ME)

WOW! This is so useful! Thanks a bunch.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM

Forest,

You tell it like it is!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 PM

forest beekeeper;2278392]Most forums say PM [Personal messaging], here it is DM [Direct Message]

Thanks a bunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine