Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:48 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
What sort of issues if that is not too time-consuming for you to explain?

I was under the impression that seasonal implied that you could not access your property as well in the winter months because the roads were not plowed?? Is this not the case or is seasonal a multi-prong term?
I understand 'seasonal' to mean that, but also a wider variety of things.

Near our home I see a 'seasonal' cabin. It has electricity though it sits up on blocks. They use it as a hunting cabin. It appears to have a wood stove and lighting. It is very close to the road, so access is not the issue with it. So much as when they choose to use it. So far it has been occupied maybe two weeks each year during the past three years.

If for any reason the owner only used it for vacations or for hunting / fishing, then it would be seasonal. They might only use it in the winter [like this cabin near me], or they might only use it in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:57 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
if i remember correctly, any seasonal conversion to year round residency, requires a plumbing inspection, and approval/improvement plan, since most seasonal camps/cottages/homes are around water,,,id highly recommend you talk to the local code enforcement officer.

yr round emergency access is also a consideration, along with possible road improvements.
setbacks may change also,,if a septic system(some places, holding tanks arent allowed) is installed and of course a well, and placement of both is a consideration, depending on size of parcel,,many camps yrs ago, were placed like dominoes, side by side, and so- called many grand-fathered clauses do not apply

the great epa lobbied for many rules and laws concerning seasonal/permanent homes,,for example if you parcel is in a resource protection area/lands, a permanent conversion may not even be possible,
and if building better roads for emergency/access vehicles produces too much phosphorous run-off into the water body, the conversion can be denied.
if a narrow camp road borders swamps/streams and wetlands,,,improving the road may not be possible,,hence no conversion

there are many serious considerations in a seasonal conversion,,
again, id highly recommend to talk to a code-enforecement officer in the area, ,,
ive seen folks blindy buy camps, and raw land,,,and then find out they couldnt do anything with them,,,made a blind assumption,,that really hurt,,
thats why i keep saying,,when buying a property, use a realtor, they are free as a buyers broker, and the good ones, will protect buyers, from going in blind.

ive recommended, many clients NOT to buy a property, many many times, yes i left commissions on the table,,but a wise broker places thier clients best interest first and foremost(this comment goes to a previous post that brokers are just out for themselves, not thier clients)

Old 12-18-2007, 07:13 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,198,545 times
Well said, mainebrokerman. I believe that when a property is transferred or sold, grandfather goes away. In order to convert a seasonal property which is located in a shoreland zone to a year-round or principal residence a conversion permit must be obtained from the local plumbing inspector.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:42 PM

Since the simple majority of Maine is UT, which do not have the planning or zoning or code enforcement officers; I am not sure who would really care about the distinctions between 'seasonal' and year-around outside of the home owner in most of Maine.

I do understand that the distinction does make a huge difference. Is there potable water, septic, and the ability of year around residency. But that distinction is not known to anyone who is not on the property.

Most of the properties around me are 'camps'.

To convert any of these camps to year-around residency is a matter of what the land-owner does to his camp.

I think that dealing with these: "conversion permits" and "plumbing inspectors", "approval/improvement plans", "code enforcement officers" are primarily issues of folks living in the more heavily populated areas of Maine with higher tax bases, and therefore in the minority of Maine.

I may be wrong.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,335,589 times
Quote:
Since the simple majority of Maine is UT, which do not have the planning or zoning or code enforcement officers; I am not sure who would really care about the distinctions between 'seasonal' and year-around outside of the home owner in most of Maine.

I do understand that the distinction does make a huge difference. Is there potable water, septic, and the ability of year around residency. But that distinction is not known to anyone who is not on the property.

Most of the properties around me are 'camps'.

To convert any of these camps to year-around residency is a matter of what the land-owner does to his camp.
This is the Maine I want to move to!!!

Quote:
I may be wrong.
I doubt it.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 PM

It's a state law. Where do you go to get your building permits?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
It's a state law. Where do you go to get your building permits?
The LURC office in Augusta.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The LURC office in Augusta.
That's most likely where you'd go to get the plumbing permits as well. I don't practice in LURC areas, perhaps some others can confirm that.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM

I just dug out my copy of my building permit and application.

On the application I said: Residential Dwelling, barn, stable, shed and driveway. I did not say if the 'Residential Dwelling' was year-around or seasonal.

On the permit they do call it: "Permanent Home".

So I guess it does make a difference.

Of course the ability of building an unlimited number of buildings on one single application for only $75, is crazy. and this building permit is good for five years!

Anywhere else one building permit is only good for one building and they give you 30 days, 60 days, or maybe 90 days; then you pay another $200 for an extension.

Maine is wonderful!

Of course for a seasonal cabin you do not require a building permit in the first place.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
That's most likely where you'd go to get the plumbing permits as well. I don't practice in LURC areas, perhaps some others can confirm that.
No, it is included into my building permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine