U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry you're not enjoying the weather. Everyone has to find their own place for their life. I hope you find what works for you. It's Maine, we expect winter and many of us actually look forward to snow. It's gives us something o talk about, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:30 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,931,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Well I guess you don't live in the Portland area. The normal highs are supposed to be in the mid 30s this time of year. We have been in the teens and 20s for highs. That is 10-15 degrees below normal. Some days have been close to 20 degrees below normal.

We are going to have 2 days of 30s and maybe 40 degree weather this weekend and then we go back to the deep freeze for Christmas.

That's all after we get another 4-8 inches of snow Wednesday night and Thursday.
Oh the joy! Can't wait!!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,510,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Well I guess you don't live in the Portland area. The normal highs are supposed to be in the mid 30s this time of year. We have been in the teens and 20s for highs. That is 10-15 degrees below normal. Some days have been close to 20 degrees below normal.

We are going to have 2 days of 30s and maybe 40 degree weather this weekend and then we go back to the deep freeze for Christmas.

That's all after we get another 4-8 inches of snow Wednesday night and Thursday.
did you look that up? because I looked at the averages for Portland, right here on City-data....Portland is well within normal for this time of year. Maybe you should contact the administrator of this site and let them know they're wrong.

msina, I completely agree. When you live in Maine you have to expect winter weather this time of year

Old 12-18-2007, 06:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,013,473 times
I love the snow and all there is to do with/in it but it's really starting to get cold. That I can do with out. We dipped below 0 last night slightly warmer tonight with a little more snow on the way tomorrow here in Central NH.
We too are worried about heating cost so I've been shutting the heat OFF when I go to bed at night. Everybody has extra blankets and wears socks. When I get up at 5 am I turn the heat back on and its warm when the kids get up. DW keeps it low or off during the day while she is in and out and then we turn it up for the late afternoon when the kids get home from school through bedtime.
We are currently in an apartment (a triplex) and are the middle unit. I think this helps keep our place warm. Plus both bedrooms are on second story. Of course it's all a novelty to me. I spent the last 8 years heating a big old drafty and mostly uninsulated farmhouse with 3 wood stoves. What a job that is
I will make sure any old place I buy in Maine will be well insulated when I get done with it. I'm also thinking about an ouside wood furnace.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Several years ago one town truck blew a hydraulic pump and the other one blew a water hose. The word went out and townspeople plowed all the roads with pickups. There was no organized government effort. It just needed to be done and local folks met the need. By the next day both town trucks were back in operation and the snow banks got winged back. I don't think that would happen in larger towns.

It's supposed to hit 40 degrees down in Bangor on Monday. Maybe some of the icicles will melt off the eaves of the house.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:49 AM

175 posts, read 373,293 times
I know this may sound like an off the wall question, but due to the fact of the cold weather there, do places like resturants and offices keep heat on during this time? The reason I am asking is because even though it is really cold outside, after a while, you know how when the heat is on how it gets all stuffy? Do you have to deal with this much? We had taken a trip to Montana one year and it was really cold and snowing out. I remember them having a wood stove and I would sit next to the sliding glass doors with it cracked just to get some of the air from outside. It was much to stuffy for me. I am very hot natured anyway and when people are wearing jackets and such, I am the one in shorts and a tank top. I can't stand that stuffiness, I guess just a quirk of mine. Weird, I know.....

Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Old houses are drafty. My 1885 house has an old stone foundation and air comes in between the foundation stones. Air leaks in through other spaces too. A wood stove and your furnace has to have air to operate. It comes in somewhere.

Until about 1980 all houses had planty of drafts to support wood stoves. Then the use of Typar or house wrap before applying siding came into widespread use. That was fine until the homeowner put in a wood stove. The stove didn't draw well. All wood stoves need a good draft to operate correctly and safely. The solution is to provide that wood stove with outside air.

All Monitor heaters have combustion air coming in from outside. Nearly all pellet stoves do also. You can provide an ouside air source to your wood stove. Just put in a pipe from the outdoors, say from a cellar window to the stove. This will involve making a hole in the wall or floor where the stove is, but you'll have a more efficient stove and few cold drafts entering the house.

You might consider wrapping the intake pipe with insulation so that 20 below pipe doesn't sweat and cause drips enroute to the stove.

- - -

I guess I should add the fact that old stone foundations can be sealed up and the drafts reduced significantly. Just blow out the spaces between the stones and use foam insulation to seal the gaps. The best brand I have found is "Great Stuff". It is the stickiest stuff known to man. It expands, but don't attempt to trim it for at least 24 hours after using it. When totally dry you can trim it with a knife.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 12-21-2007 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-21-2007, 08:00 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
No matter how cold it is I open a window on one side of the house a couple of inches and the door at the other side and let fresh air circulate. It takes just a minute or two to feel the difference and the house doesn't get cold in that short time.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:44 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,510,961 times
I do the same thing! Especially in the bedrooms....a few mornings a week I go in and open a window just a few inches...it feels great and just changes the air enough. I'm also really careful with the thermostat because I don't like that hot, stuffy feeling. I want to be comfortable....usually around 68 is good here.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:10 PM

497 posts, read 1,373,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I'm so sorry you're not enjoying the weather. Everyone has to find their own place for their life. I hope you find what works for you. It's Maine, we expect winter and many of us actually look forward to snow. It's gives us something o talk about, eh?
Well I have talked to a lot of people who live and work in Maine and they don't "love" snow. In fact the majority of the people I know are depressed and irritated with all this snow so early in the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine