U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:53 PM

378 posts, read 934,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We have a noreaster in progress and with the wind out of the northeast the waves come down Old Orchard beach at an angle. Surfers are out today. You can surf for miles along the beach. Getting back up to the north end for another run is no problem. Just grab the skeg on your board and drag the nose in the snow. Your board won't get scratched up.

Mainers defy winter.
Mainers define winter.
Mainers defile winter.
Mainers do not deny winter.
We were JUST talking about how bad we want to snowboard. YAY !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 AM

406 posts, read 1,488,847 times
Quote:
I did write that. It just came to me while it was snowing.
Wow...I thought you were quoting something...love it!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:18 PM

73 posts, read 131,745 times
What a riot. I think I will check it out when I get down that way. I love going to Virginia Beach to visit my kids and going to the beach to watch the surfers. I did surf back in my youth. Not now. I wouldn't be able to balance. I would be one of the ones getting raked over by the clam shells, as you say. ha ha

Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Happy New Year everybody.

In today's Bangor Daily news there is a photo of two cross country skiers skiing along the ocean beach at Reid State Park. In the same photo is a surfer taking advantage of the large waves from yesterday's storm. Only in Maine will you see that.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,443,266 times
Quote:
We have a noreaster in progress and with the wind out of the northeast the waves come down Old Orchard beach at an angle. Surfers are out today. You can surf for miles along the beach. Getting back up to the north end for another run is no problem. Just grab the skeg on your board and drag the nose in the snow. Your board won't get scratched up.

Mainers defy winter.
Mainers define winter.
Mainers defile winter.
Mainers do not deny winter.

GREAT slogan! You betcha!

Back around the dawn of time...well, it was the 1980's...I was a pretty avid scuba diver, and was able to go to many interesting places around the world to experience some wonderful under sea stuff. I met a nice group of divers in Portland, and on New Year's day one year, we all met at Kettle Cove in Cape Elizabeth to go diving.

We hauled all of our gear down to the water and were in the ocean around eleven. It was exactly zero degrees on that very bright, sunny day with only a gentle little breeze off the water. The water temperature was 34 degrees.

After the initial chill, my wetsuit warmed right up. Not much to see, actually, although meeting my first monkfish was a bit of a jolt: pretty ugly and harmless. The only discomfort that I had was that my boots had a side zipper and there was a tiny jet of icy water that kept hitting just above my ankle bone.

The air was after half an hour or so, and I slogged back up to the car. I slid my tank, fins, and weight belt into the car, and then pulled off my boots and wetsuit...slipped some sweat pants and shirt over my nylon under "skin" thing....chilly process! But when I pulled off my hood, and the zero degree air hit my head, I was flat out COLD...the coldest sensation of my life.

I dove into the driver's seat, and slammed the door....shoved the heater fan to high and shivered for about ten minutes before I could drive.

I got home around two o'clock, and promptly went to bed for two hours.

Yep. I'll not go scuba diving again in zero degrees. I don't deny winter. Nosiree. It's out THERE all right, and now, I'll just throw another log on the fire....

Old 01-01-2008, 12:18 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
It's snowing

Old 01-01-2008, 12:19 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,929,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
It's snowing
Don'tcha hate it, MsIna? All that damned snow and cold everywhere!! Makes you want to head south, huh?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:22 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
Forget that!! LOL I can't take the heat, I positively melt. I am starting to wonder just where we are going to put all this snow though! Our street is narrow to begin with, more like a Lane, now it's got huge snowbanks all along it!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 PM

I'll bet it's a beautiful sight, though.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 PM

Oh, and it's only 55 here today. Feels nice outside. I still have the a/c running, though. We have double paned storm windows that are nearly impossible to open. They're meant to keep the heat and, well, hurricanes out, I guess. Problem is, when it's actually cool outside these few weeks a year, it keeps the heat IN and the cool out. There are only two windows in the whole house that I can successfully open enought to let air in.

I grew up in old, drafty houses with wood paned, single glass windows. Every fall and winter, Mom threw all the windows open nearly every day and cherished every moment of cool breezes we were lucky enough to have. It aired out the stale smells of baking in the summer heat and was SOOO nice. I miss that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine