U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:55 PM

38,422 posts, read 18,180,970 times

Advertisements

I know that there are lots of posts and info about Lewiston/Auburn and I think I have read most of them and have had some advice from family in the area. I am aware of the Somali immigration phenomenon and the way it has impacted Lewiston;

It is one of the areas that seems to have very good bargains on some beautiful homes. (Up north I was astonished at some of the deals on gorgeous homes in and around Bangor).

What I like about Auburn is that there are some older homes that appear to be very well maintained and updated--and there is much more archetectual appeal than another brand new (or even lovely brand new) colonial in a development. (I also have noted that the taxes on some of the homes in Auburn seem really really high.

I have been seriously interested in several and will make a trip up to see them; I notice on line in the neighborhood information, that a cluster of them all are in the area near 8th Street, right near a river. The houses that I have been interested in are primarily built in the early 1900's and are farm style or New Englanders with an acre or more of land. There are a couple of others in Auburn but not in that same neighborhood. The satallite view seem to show a residential neighborhood, boardering commercial areas???? Is any one familiar wth the neighborhood I am talking about and any impressions; additonal information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 01:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,936,023 times
The area is part of "New Auburn". A name I consider misleading. That particular area does have some older New England style farm houses. Most of what I have seen there tend to be a little run down. The area also has a lot of multi unit dwellings. The area is not considered a high crime area and is in a decent school district. There are a couple of new side streets with new development. It is very convenient to Lewiston/Auburn area and is accessible to the turnpike.

Auburn's taxes are quite high!! We had a huge rally a few years ago and the city manager has subsequently left. Unfortunately I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. I just read in the paper that the city wants to do a 35 million improvement to the high school (with out state aid).

If you come I would be happy to help you out in any way I can. I did have a realtor’s license for a while and still own rental property. I was also a police officer in Lewiston. I have lived here for 12 years. Good luck!

P.S. if you decide NOT to move to Auburn because of taxes can you call the counselors and let them know....apparently they don't listen to their own residence.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:22 PM

Thank you so much for the info "FLY" and the offer to help; we had been looking in Auburn about a month ago but the taxes seemed really excessive and we turned away, now we are back looking at some houses that are a little less expensive and so the taxes are more managable to budget. It is so hard to tell anything by the on line MLS pics and descriptions.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:33 PM

323 posts, read 859,428 times
Elston that is where we are moving!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
Elston that is where we are moving!
Auburn? or that neighborhood around 8th street????

Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Auburn. We hope to move into the same neighborhood as our friends....we want to be neighbors!

Anyway I really like Auburn, it is very centrally located to many things yet not in the tourist trap. The picture I posted is in her yard and it is so beautiful there. My girlfriend just loves living in Auburn and her parents have been in that area for a long time.

The taxes are high and that had us looking in Poland a little bit but I don't know much about it except you can get acreage and the taxes seem less. I have kids so I am going with what my friend suggests as far as the school system since our kids are the same age. She loves Fairview school district and that is a selling point for us and we want our kids to grow up together in the same schools. So Auburn it shall be when we can sell our house. I think you will like it!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:14 PM

jenkaye what a super nice positive recommendation. Good Luck in your new home!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,936,023 times
Auburn is a big place. over 60 square miles I really like the geography of the town. A lot of pretty neighborhoods and decent schools. It has everything you need and is still growing. Great new NY deli just came in . So you do not have to drive far. I wish the taxes were lower but it is what it is.

What part of town are you looking to move to Jenkaye?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:48 PM

1,815 posts, read 4,267,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
It is so hard to tell anything by the on line MLS pics and descriptions.
Very true - there is no substitute for a thorough physical inspection of a property. I do recommend you gather an extensive list and then do "drive bys" to make sure the house is an area you would consider living in and then narrow down your list before you waste time making appointments at homes that don't meet your needs.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:56 PM

My friends live in the Martindale Golf Course area and we like that. My husband just wants a barn and land and I want to be able to walk to my friends house and drink coffee with her each morning but we will see how we can meet in the middle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine