Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:28 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Folks from the "Mid Atlantic " states, Texas northern N.J. planning to retire to Eastport .
The sun sets earlier about 3;55 pm snow is deeper and last much longer on the ground [ lower angle of the sun].A normal temp in Eastport is record cold in Austen Tex.
Submariner, You have lived here...Winter mild on the coast to you is record cold to Mid Atlantic folks...Ben
I see, of course. Folks who have never lived in a region with all four-seasons, might be surprised if they were suddenly exposed to a winter.

I think of 'down east' winters as being milder than inland winters, or winters up North nearer the Arctic Circle.

I have traveled in the Arctic many times, but I have never actually lived there [accept for a few months at a time under the ice].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 03:39 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Folks from the "Mid Atlantic " states, Texas northern N.J. planning to retire to Eastport .
The sun sets earlier about 3;55 pm snow is deeper and last much longer on the ground [ lower angle of the sun].A normal temp in Eastport is record cold in Austen Tex.
Submariner, You have lived here...Winter mild on the coast to you is record cold to Mid Atlantic folks...Ben
I don't think so. I've been comparing the daily temperature in Eastport with that in Charleston, WV, for 10 years. During the winter, temperatures are typically about 5-8 degrees cooler in Eastport and there is a little more snowfall. A normal winter does last longer in Maine. I'm not sure where you mean when you say mid-Atlantic. Charleston is a little further north than Richmond, VA, and a little further south than Washington, DC.

The big payoff is the difference in the summer weather.

I've never been to Austin, so I'm not familiar with the weather there.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:55 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Locally, our house was listed today, and a photographer came in to take some pictures to add to the listing. I've seen his work, and his pictures will put our house in the best possible light. We'll take any help we can get.

Meanwhile, we've continued to think positive thoughts, and to make plans based on the assumption that things will work out for us. We're pre-approved for a mortgage at a Maine credit union, and we've had a mover come to the house and give us an estimate on moving our stuff north.
It took 11 days - which I know is quick, although it seemed like forever - but a couple of hours ago we accepted an offer on our house here in Virginia.

With various inspections and paper-pushing and other time-consuming stuff, it's going to take 5 to 6 weeks to actually get there, but (God I've been waiting to say this for a very long time) we're moving to Maine.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
It took 11 days - which I know is quick, although it seemed like forever - but a couple of hours ago we accepted an offer on our house here in Virginia.

With various inspections and paper-pushing and other time-consuming stuff, it's going to take 5 to 6 weeks to actually get there, but (God I've been waiting to say this for a very long time) we're moving to Maine.
So excited for you!!

Has your offer been accepted in Maine and when do you move?

You'll be up there in the finest season ~ fall!

Best wishes with everything.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:14 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So excited for you!!

Has your offer been accepted in Maine and when do you move?

You'll be up there in the finest season ~ fall!

Best wishes with everything.
Yes, we put in an offer at the beginning on this month, contingent upon the sale of our house here, and it was accepted with that contingency. Since we have a contract on this house now, the contingency is removed, and we're ready to go.

We want to be there NOW, but it just can't happen as quickly as we would like. Most likely, we'll be making the move sometime in the second half of September.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, we put in an offer at the beginning on this month, contingent upon the sale of our house here, and it was accepted with that contingency. Since we have a contract on this house now, the contingency is removed, and we're ready to go.

We want to be there NOW, but it just can't happen as quickly as we would like. Most likely, we'll be making the move sometime in the second half of September.
Congratulations!

We'll be exploring our favorite parts of Maine Sept 10–14 if we can get ought of here! This is the time of year to rush to complete those house projects and wood stacking before the snow flies. Nonetheless....

If you see an aging couple with two dogs pulling us around, that's us!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 AM

Any more stories from retirees?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

I've never been to Austin, so I'm not familiar with the weather there.
I just moved to Falmouth from Austin. It was 103 degrees the day we left. It's been in triple digits for most of August. And this was a mild summer.

The fall has no color and the hot temperatures continue until New Years.

Winter can be miserable. It's the rainy season with temperatures anywhere between 20 and 100 (we hit triple digits one February day several years ago). Spring has bluebonnets and is nice but short.

And then summer arrives. Hot Hot Hot with continued chances of Hot. Most nights the five day forecast look like this.

High 99 99 98 99 99
Low 78 77 78 78 79

And then you get to triple digits in July, August and even September.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I just moved to Falmouth from Austin. It was 103 degrees the day we left. It's been in triple digits for most of August. And this was a mild summer.

The fall has no color and the hot temperatures continue until New Years.

Winter can be miserable. It's the rainy season with temperatures anywhere between 20 and 100 (we hit triple digits one February day several years ago). Spring has bluebonnets and is nice but short.

And then summer arrives. Hot Hot Hot with continued chances of Hot. Most nights the five day forecast look like this.

High 99 99 98 99 99
Low 78 77 78 78 79

And then you get to triple digits in July, August and even September.
You will not die without air conditioning in New England. I grew up here without it, and now retired and living in an older farmhouse, the cross breeze within the house and the trees around the house make for a pleasant summer. We do run ceiling fans, and once a summer for a few days stretch we may put on the a.c., but we could live totally without it. Humidity can get to some folks up here, but you quickly learn to do your outdoor activities early in the morning or early evening. Being near some body of water is a plus.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I just moved to Falmouth from Austin.
It's time to change your location in your CD profile to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine