Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times

Advertisements

I am doing a fairly intensive "search" for real estate in Maine while waiting to sell my house in southern California. I find lots of homes that appear to be really nice and where we might like to live. After looking all over the state, we have pretty much settled on the towns around Portland. I have been amazed at some of the property. I see houses within my range with lots of acres (57 in one case). Another in that area has extensive river frontage and a private island! The houses seem nice--what gives? I don't really need or want all that land, but I can't help but wonder.

A more pertinent question for me has to do with houses without a garage in Falmouth. I was surprised to notice that my favorite house didn't have a garage. Considering winter cold and snow fall, my first impression was that a garage would be essential. But when I continued my search in Falmouth, I found several more with off street parking but no garage. These are really nice houses that are selling for over $300,000. Could it be that the proximity to the coast so moderates the temp and snow fall, that a garage is less of a necessity than further north and inland? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
I live about as far inland and North as you can get from Portland and don't have a garage. I like them, but just never really been in a place that had one and while it can be a pain at times, not a big enough one to actually build one either. Land and House prices in Maine are CHEAP compared to other parts of the country. Up here is much cheaper than down around Portland area. My place is sitting on a double lot in town. 4 blocks from the school, all maple hardwood floors, 2 story, 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath. New stove, fridge, furnace, roof, electrical and plumbing. Picked it up for 32,000 8 years ago. It would sell right now for about 60 or 65k. so still real cheap housing. Parents bought their place 7 or 8 years ago with 20 acres, it needed work, but nothing we had to hire anybody else to do for them. They picked it all up for 14k.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:31 PM

Thanks Bydand, I am thnking that since I am retired and dont have to get up and out early in the morning, I can wait till the sun is out and/or run the defroster and get it melted, or stay home and put a log on the fire.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Two words: CAR STARTER.

That way you don't even have to leave the house to start it up in the morning. Just be sure when you park it to turn the fan on high, the heat to high and switch to defroster, then you are all set to get into a warm car with defrosted windows as soon as you step outside.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM

Thumbs up With a little help from my friends....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Two words: CAR STARTER.

That way you don't even have to leave the house to start it up in the morning. Just be sure when you park it to turn the fan on high, the heat to high and switch to defroster, then you are all set to get into a warm car with defrosted windows as soon as you step outside.
You are so smart! That is indeed the answer. Having spent the last 5 winters in a warmer clime, I had forgotten all about such things. (I never had one before even when I lived up north, but what a wonderful suggestion.)

Old 11-19-2007, 02:00 PM

32 posts, read 76,742 times
what is a car starter?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:07 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsgirl View Post
what is a car starter?
I believe you can install something that will electronically start your car from your remote that is kept in your warm and cozy house. this is also something DH says we won't need. Guess what I'm asking for each year for Christmas once we're up? Until then, he will get to clean it off and run out and start it for me.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:08 PM

I think thats when you tell your partner to run outside and get the card started, while I am finishing up...... whatever.

(not really, its a remote thingie)

Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think thats when you tell your partner to run outside and get the card started, while I am finishing up...... whatever.

(not really, its a remote thingie)
LOL...thanks for the chuckle!!

Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM

323 posts, read 992,942 times
My girlfriend lives in Maine and says garages are such a nice feature. She has kids so she is out and about everyday and I remember when we lived in a snowy climate and didn't have a garage it wasn't so great. We started the car early and still had to scrape so I want a garage when we move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine