U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times

Advertisements

Here's my newest info on consolidating in our 20 town unit. We were going to meet tonight with a full agenda. Our super called me earlier to tell me that tonight's meeting is canceled. There is no snow date. There are too many issues they need to straighten in Augusta before we can work effectively again. For now we are on hold. I don't know if this is statewide or our unit only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times
That is actually good news. Hang in there. Our legislature is just beginning to realize that if they don't overturn this debacle they will be voted out in November.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:09 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,182 times
Consolidation is one of those things that looks good on paper, and even sounds good, until you begin its implementation. I grew up in a rural area, and the extracurricular activities were slim and none. We didn't have enough students to field teams. Our only athletic sport was basketball. When you look at the costs involved in transportation alone, you eat up any savings in administrative costs. I would be willing to bet that you will have students who will have to make long distance calls to call home. The heart of any city or rural area is it's school. Many small towns simply lost their viability when they gave up their local school. Young couples with children in school just leave the area. Several towns just ceased to exist when their school closed. It isn't all that uncommon for some students to be bused 40+ miles in these areas. I rode the bus 17 miles each way to school for 9 of the 12 years I attended. My graduating class had a whopping 28 people in it. But, we made it and were a tight close knit group. Consolidation has not been considered an option. The state gives the rural districts additional "sparsity" funding to keep the small local schools open. Parents did not want their children riding the bus over an hour with mountain winter road conditions. What price do you put on a child's safety? You have no choice but to fight this legislation any way you can!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 PM

Excellent post maine4.us. Their program can be called many things, but the long term goal is rural cleansing. It has the same long term effect as ethnic cleansing. People are driven away. I was on the local radio station for an hour today just being interviewed on this very subject. I'll be back in in a couple of weeks because an hour does not even scratch the surface.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
I'm much more optimistic about the process after yesterday's discussion. At one time I was ready to throw in the towel but this changes everything.

NMLM, what station? I want to be sure to listen next time.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,443,266 times
I think that this educational hornets' nest has stirred up a lot of noise, and something will be done about skyrocketing educational costs in Maine as a result. The turmoil has only begun, but already we are villifying the guy who caused it: the governor. I think this is short sighted.

The real issue is that Maine as a state spends entirely too much money. There are two main culprits in the spending of Maine peoples' monies. One is the legislature or sheer size of government, and the other is the state's educational system. If a system mandated by government is such that the taxation resulting forces people who have lived on their land and in their homes for years and years are forced to move to more modest accomodations, then the system is flawed and should be corrected.

If Baldacci has tried, IN HIS SECOND AND LAST TERM, to make a meaningful change in the size and shape of government, he would have been stopped dead in his tracks by the entrenched bureaucracy. He chose to attack the overbloated and far too expensive education system in Maine, and thus will reap some sort of result. Maybe good, and maybe bad, or a mixture of both, but the problem is the system is far too expensive for a state of 1.2 million people to afford. Too many bureaucrats, too many buildings, declining school enrollment, too many miles to travel, too many oil fired boilers to fuel, and NO commercial development to help to pay taxes to relieve the homeowner from shoulder the entire burden.

If true reform without pain and suffering by school children is desired, then the impossibly expensive "special needs" mandates of Augusta need to be repealed, and the unrealistic and utopian expectations of the the state's department of education need to be refined to reflect the local community and the individual property owners' ability to pay for them.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM

94.9 FM "The Mountain" out of Millinocket. If Musquash is not in the way you can probably get it.

(Now everybody is going to wonder what or who Musquash is. We'll keep em guessing.)

Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
I have seen a form of school consolidation that works very, very well. It isn't even close to this mess BaldNazi and his band of idiots are trying to push down the states neck.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
Musk Beaver, Muskrat,... must be muskrat love

Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
94.9 FM "The Mountain" out of Millinocket. If Musquash is not in the way you can probably get it.

(Now everybody is going to wonder what or who Musquash is. We'll keep em guessing.)
Except 2-meter hams. (K1HHC/R)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine