U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 PM

87 posts, read 225,559 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how many seniors on here live year round in maine and how many go south for the winter or at least part of the winter.
I have noticed some of you live in the south and dream of the beauty of the wonderful snow covered hills and coast but in reality snow and cold is also a burden. I too love the snow and the beauty of it but not the digging out and now the awful burden of heating my home.
Sue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:49 PM

9,532 posts, read 14,339,456 times
In rural Maine many people are born, live and die in the same house. They may travel, but they never live outside Maine. I'm here for the duration and I'm older than dirt. The last Crocker family member lived in my hose in 1942 and they still call it the Crocker Place so there's no hope for me. The hill is called Crocker Rise.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 AM

630 posts, read 1,281,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In rural Maine many people are born, live and die in the same house. They may travel, but they never live outside Maine. I'm here for the duration and I'm older than dirt. The last Crocker family member lived in my hose in 1942 and they still call it the Crocker Place so there's no hope for me. The hill is called Crocker Rise.
Still, I bet you have a strong sense of place and the feeling that you are at home there. I've always wanted to see other parts of the US (since fifth grade, when we studied the different states!) and so I have moved to a lot of places and I have enjoyed that experience. Surprising how much life in one state differs from life in another. Now, as I grow older I find I'm starting to feel homeless! Have to choose very carefully for my next (and hopefully) last move.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:46 AM

I served in the military and moved around a lot. We enjoyed every place we lived, but there was never any doubt about where we would land. I lived in Florida twice. It was a nice place to visit, but I would never live there voluntarily.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:11 AM

38,466 posts, read 18,226,542 times
Quote:
My Grammy lived in the house her Aunt left her on Stevens Ave in Portland until she was into her mid 80's. My father was born in the back bedroom. It had been the family home since before the revolutionary war, and the attic was filled with boxes of clothing, broken furniture, chamber pots, fireplace cooking implements, rope bedsteads, paintings, foot warmers and all the other clutter of 200 years of daily living; there was an unbroken chain of relics of people who had been born and married and laid out in that home. (unfortuanately it is now a parking lot)

My point is that people do live their entire lives in Maine; and do so quite successfully. Now Grammy did come to visit us in "the warmth" of northern Rhode Island for the month of January and into February when she started growing older...but not because she couldn't brave the cold....come to think of it...when I was really little we lived in Canada and Gram came for Christmas and the month of January up there too. Sturdy stock.....maybe the principles of natural selection?????

I am in my late 60's; I expect to freeze my first winter back because my blood has thinned to adjust to California (heck I start to get cold when it drops to 40 now--I need to toughen up!) But I will get there; its just a matter of time.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 AM

3,061 posts, read 7,309,523 times
Quote:
I served in the military and moved around a lot. We enjoyed every place we lived, but there was never any doubt about where we would land. I lived in Florida twice. It was a nice place to visit, but I would never live there voluntarily.
I went to Florida once. I was 18 yrs old, straight out of high school, and I hated it. I wouldn't even go back to visit.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 AM

5,973 posts, read 11,152,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I went to Florida once. I was 18 yrs old, straight out of high school, and I hated it. I wouldn't even go back to visit.
I was 19 when I went. I was home a year later and haven't been back since.

My mother was born in her grandmother's house on Center Street in Old Town. She grew up a few miles away in Veazie. She met my Massachusetts-born father at Dow AFB. They were married nine months later. Dad was stationed in Alaska soon after and Mum stayed here. I was born less than two years after they were married. We were stationed in Georgia, North Carolina and the Philippines. Those are the few short years my mother didn't live in Maine. She was born here, grew up here, died here. I can add Florida to the list of where she briefly lived. I was born here, mostly grew up here, I will die here. My husband has never lived anywhere but here. There's no place like home.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:39 PM

87 posts, read 225,559 times
Thank you for your answers. I too was born and raised on Long Island and will probably die here but I do love going to visit friends in Florida in the winter. I wouldn't mind being a Snow Bird, But Summer there is a horror.
So we do get through the winters as best we can.
Have a wonderful Christmas and I will be in the hills of Northern NJ with my daughter and her family and my son.
Sue

Old 03-18-2009, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,509 times
Hi I'm think of relocating to the coast of Maine. My idea is treasure hunting, seaglass beaches, walking . My dream is treasure hunting, I now havea chance to take for my dreams, my life my be alot shorter than I wished, I will sell my home just looking for that quiant wood stove little house, where I can smell the water and treasure hunt and look for sea glass. Any help which direction would be greatly appreicated, Thankyou. Sue

Old 03-19-2009, 05:00 AM

We have a rocky coast. Sea glass is found on beaches. I recommend you begin your search in Washington County, the real down east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or