U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,924 times

Advertisements

So, is Limestone a nice town to live in? Is it friendly, and welcoming to newcomers? Did having a base so close ruin it? Every GI town I lived in during my enlistment was nothing but fast food and pawn shops! I am considering buying a home in Limestone, so need to know. We also have one we like in Searsport, and one in Parsonsfield. Very far apart, I lnow, but we are free to choose. As we like all three houses, the community will be the deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,122,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqexile View Post
So, is Limestone a nice town to live in? Is it friendly, and welcoming to newcomers? Did having a base so close ruin it? Every GI town I lived in during my enlistment was nothing but fast food and pawn shops! I am considering buying a home in Limestone, so need to know. We also have one we like in Searsport, and one in Parsonsfield. Very far apart, I lnow, but we are free to choose. As we like all three houses, the community will be the deciding factor.
Have you ever been to Limestone? Not much there!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,178,464 times
Closest pawn shop or fast food place is in Caribou which is 10 miles away. Limestone is a SMALL farming community. One grocery store, 2 gas stations, I think the 1 place to eat closed a few years ago. It is right on the US/Canada border and Grand Falls New Brunswick is just over the border and it is a rather nice little town.

I find the people friendly, not all of them of course, but the majority of them. The prices of housing in Limestone is quite appealing, but as Maineah has already said, there really isn't much there.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 AM

17,181 posts, read 22,217,451 times
limestone is a nice little town, i know some very nice folks there, they like the fact its nice and quiet.
if i were going to move to aroostook county this town would be in the top 3 towns id look at, the real estate prices are very very low.
it may not be the most exciting town,,,but that would be the appeal to me,,im not one that has to go "out" for recreation, i like the fresh air, the peace and quiet, the snowmobiling, atv-ing, and other outdoor recreation, and it would be a great place to raise a family, have a garden, and enjoy an area of low crime.

one persons "boring" is another persons paradise, all depends on your frame of refrerence and whats important to you.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
limestone is a nice little town, i know some very nice folks there, they like the fact its nice and quiet.
if i were going to move to aroostook county this town would be in the top 3 towns id look at, the real estate prices are very very low.
Might not make my top 5 for the entire "County" but would for sure make the top 3 for the immediate area. Fort Fairfield would be the top of both of those lists for me. This is coming from somebody who couldn't stand Fort Fairfield even as recent as 10 years ago. Just a bad "vibe" back then for me. Now there has been some vast changes and the place is a very nice town, struggling (like everyplace else in Aroostook County) but reinventing itself as a very family focused place.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,924 times
Thanks. Limestone sounds a lot like what I'm looking for. If anyone feels inclined to post more pictures I'd love to look at them. Thanks again!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:43 PM

In all honesty, that is about all there is to see in Limestone. Where about are you looking? I might be able to get a photo of the street you are interested in, or DM me the address and I will try to get a few of the house you are interested in. Did it before, don't see why I can't again. It will be a few days though because we are crazy busy right now with work.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 PM

455 posts, read 1,088,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqexile View Post
Bydand can tell you more about Limestone than I can, since the house that we were going to up there turned out to be a total dump with no heat, no water and lots of other problems and we have moved back to southern Maine area. Parsonsfield is a wonderful town and would be my choice of a place to spend the rest of my life, if I had the option of choosing any place.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:08 PM

9,524 posts, read 14,317,996 times
Loring was an Air Force base. The Air Force builds the officer's club, enlisted club, bowling alley, golf course, movie theater, living quarters, offices, operations buildings, Maintenance buildings and hangars in that order. If they have any money left they build the airfield.

;-)

Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM

291 posts, read 479,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Just to bump the thread. Abby, the photos were sent this morning to your e-mail address.

Here are a couple of interest of Limestone in general. The first 2 are of the School. K-12 in this building. It seems a rather large school for the size of the town, but you have to remember that when Loring Air Force Base was active, a lot of the base personel lived in the Limestone area and their children went to the Limestone school. When the base closed it hit the school hard, and they are still struggling.

The other two are just looking at Downtown Limestone like you are coming up Route 1 from Fort Fairfield.

The last two are the Community Playground. Looks a little sad right now buried under the snow, but it gets a LOT of use during the summer months.
I apologize that I am pulling up such an old posting but I happened to run across this forum/thread and your pictures brought back quite a few memories for me. It still looks just the way it was when I lived there many, many years ago. I lived directly across the street from the High School in a home that was converted into 4 apartments. My bedroom and bathroom window looked directly out to the high school across High Street.

I remember Pete's Place well as I bought many pizzas there! The first place I ever had pineapple and ham pizza and it was good and I still eat it today. I shopped at Thompson's Grocery when I didn't go to the Base Comm. I used the laundry mat in town. There was a small convenience store that was on the corner down on the main street but I can't remember the name and there was a small Hallmark type shop also across the street where I bought some of my first Christmas ornaments to put on my tree and I still have them!

If we didn't go the movies on base then we went to the drive-in in Ft. Fairfield (I think it was there).

I was SUPER lucky to get a job in Presque Isle at Casco Northern Bank (the big building in town) and had the greatest boss and co-workers that I ever had in my life! I was a young AF bride far away from home and they treated me so well. I have never forgotten ANY of those people. I lost touch with all of them but think of them often. I'm sure that some are no longer here in the present and that makes me sad. One co-worker acted almost like a Mom to me. I came into work one day and sitting on my desk was handmade ornaments for my tree that she made for me. I still have EVERY single one of those today and when I put them on the tree, I think of her all the time with a big smile! She was a lovely, lovely lady.

Years have gone by and things have changed in my life and the town that was my home in those days. Thank you for sharing the pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine