Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 10,256 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody:

So in a sort of oversized impulse buy I recently purchased a 50 acre plot near Houlton. I had been wanting to own some land for a while and it seemed like a good enough deal so I jumped on it.

Apart from a driveway from the street to a potential homesite on the lot, it's pretty much undeveloped from what I know (Yes, I bought it sight unseen apart from a few photos. Please feel free to heap any criticisms on as you see fit).

It's in the Tree Growth Program so the taxes are low for the time being. The lumber was harvested a few years ago so it will be awhile before there is anything worth cutting for lumber.

I'm wondering what you might do if this was in your hands:

1. Keep it for appreciation, let the trees grow.
2. Plan on harvesting lumber in a few years when the trees have matured.
3. Take part of it out of the TGP and make improvements to the land.

I live and work out in the Southwest and will probably only be able to spend 2-3 weeks on the property per year for the foreseeable future. I appreciate any and all suggestions. I have some disposable income to invest in improvements to the property, but certainly not enough to build a 4BR/3BA Cabin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM

468 posts, read 758,251 times
I'd walk it with a consulting forester and see what's growing on it right now, how the previous harvest/cut impacted what's regrown, if any thinning or other management could be done to it along with talking to somebody about what your future plans and goals are for the woodland.

Here's an information page from the Small Woodland Owners Association of Maine (http://www.swoam.org/links.shtml - broken link) that may be of value.

I'd also suggest joining SWOAM as they have a neat newsletter that will give you a lot to think about regarding your property.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Your very first priority is to find out the date of when your tree growth plan expires. Pray that it is not April 12, 2012.

Your next priority is to walk the land and find your corners. Hang flagging. Record the locations of each corner with a good GPS.

There is some good info in the SWOAM literature. However, beware. One of their goals is to get as much land as possible into conservation easements. This contaminates your land's title and will limit what your heirs can do with the land they will own.

Congratulations. I always recommend that a new owner of Maine's forest buy a top quality trimmer like a Fiskars anvil lopper. Thy are worth every penny. Lop off offending low branches as you walk your trails.You don't need to a "build a 4BR/3BA Cabin". You can have a nice post and beam building and use it for whatever you want. It can begin as storage and grow to be a fine home.

Distinctive Timber Building Kits Inc.

If you take a couple of acres out of tree growth, don't do it on the road. Do it 300 feet back or more from the road. That way you don't pay high road frontage taxes. Most people want a little seclusion anyway.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Excellent information. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
NMLM knows what he's talking about. If you lived up here you could use it for a woodlot.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
All good advice given

Within the context of 'Tree growth' you do have a few options. Best to speak with a forester, and see what your options area.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM

Since I'm nowhere near the property and likely won't be for several months, I thought I'd do some Satellite map imaging to see if I could get a look. In the image below, my property is pretty much everything that's not that nice neat looking farm field.

My question is, do any of you want to venture a guess what that brown black stuff that covers large spans of my lot is? Do I have lots of dead trees? Did I have a forest fire on there at some point?

Or are those some variety of rocks which are local to Aroostook County?

I agree I need to have a forester walk the property (can anybody recommend a good one that works in the vicinity of Houlton?) to really get a good idea, but in the mean time, I can't help but be curious.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
My question is, do any of you want to venture a guess what that brown black stuff that covers large spans of my lot is?
Looks like water in low spots to me.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 AM

Thanks Zymer! I was wondering if that might be the case. The property line with the farm is a brook from what I understand.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Beavers have dammed the brook and those trees are dead. Nothing you can do about it. In winter you can go out on the ice and cut the trees. Dead wood is good firewood. The land on the left side of the photo was nicely wooded with hardwood when the photo was taken. Judging by the width of the road and the building, the wooded area is only 20 to 25 acres. Post a photo showing a larger footprint.

I do this for a living. I have a commercial pilot's license and have been interpreting aerial photos since I did that in the Mekong delta some 41 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine