Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:43 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Maineah - you are right. Because of one case here that the national media picked up on, VT was unfairly labeled. In fact, Vermont was just named in some study was ranked #1 in the country for the safety of kids. Maine was right behind us. If I didnt love my homestate so much, we'd be in Maine
There's nothing wrong with Vermont. I like the State a lot. We just got back from visiting my daughter at school last week and enjoyed it very much. My daughter and her boyfriend are planning to stay in Vermont after graduation next month and become Vermonters full time. I don't blame them at all ...it's a lovely state...maybe a bit on the liberal side but all in all quite nice. Like you, I love Maine my home state, but if I had to leave I'd go to Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:50 PM

39 posts, read 103,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Here's what I don't get and this is something my former Deputy Chief on the fire dept used to say to me. Maine and NH are very similar in population although Maine is bigger land wise. Maine and NH also has a similar tax base. Why is it that NH can afford to have no sales tax and no income tax? They probably pay the same or maybe a little more in property tax but in the long run you save money with no tax. I believe it's because NH has the art of regionalization of public services down pack and also NH is a more conservative state then Maine. Maine is controled by Democrats who have never seen a tax they don't like to raise and have never been able to stop spending and wasting tax money.

NH has one 911 call center for the entire state and according to the public safety people who work there it works great. Maine is just starting to regionalize 911 call centers and school districts. This is a step in the right direction but I am affraid with the Dems in control of Maine any money they save from regionalization of schools or public servic
es will just be wasted on more welfare benefits from people who don't want to work or illegal aliens or legal immigrants who just want a free ride.

So just for tax burden alone I would suggest people go to NH instead of Maine.

As for the comment about VT having a law "better than Jessica's law." It's not true. There was just recent cases in VT where sexual predators have gotten no jail time for diddling kids. Under Jessica's law the judge wouldn't be able to do something insane like this. It would be 20 years mandatory on first offense. Personally, I think it should be death penalty on first offense but that's just me.

I live way up in Aroostook County The EMS works just fine-and yes Maine lacks Neocons who worship The Republican Party -

Old 04-20-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thDishRanAwaywiththespoon View Post
I live way up in Aroostook County The EMS works just fine-and yes Maine lacks Neocons who worship The Republican Party -
Maine however does have more than it's fair share of whack job Marxist liberals who have no problem taking money from the working stiffs and giving it to the lazy and worthless.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM

39 posts, read 103,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Maine however does have more than it's fair share of whack job Marxist liberals who have no problem taking money from the working stiffs and giving it to the lazy and worthless.

...now, now, Marxist liberals are what makes the crime rate in Maine so low-giving people second chances etc. is good for the system and greater good of Maine and such a philosophy provides me a job-

Last edited by thDishRanAwaywiththespoon; 04-20-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,489,124 times
Quote:
Yippee!!! We have plenty of those were I am now. It's only one of many things that I look forward to "losing" when we move!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You mean.............the Maine legistlature, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMoving View Post
I am about 5 yrs from military retirement. I'll be turning 45 when I retire, so we're not yet ready for the 55+ community, yet. No offense intended, we have a 3 year old. We're trying to make decisions now, so we can purchase some land for later building and start looking for employment opportunities. I'm from New England (MA, prior to the Military and lived in Dover, NH for a few years 97-00) and would love to return, but where exactly. MA is crazy expensive, not back there. Can anybody (military retired persons) help out with this decision; work, costs of living, benefits of military retirement in the area (ME), etc? Anything would help. I know there is a somewhat large Naval Station in and around York or more south toward Portsmouth.

You might want to try and fill out a Maine tax form and see what you'd pay for income taxes. And then consider how much more you would pay for a home in NH ect.

I found that because I do not have a High income "yet", My income taxes are not that high in Maine. I would be better to buy a home somehwhere in Maine on the border of NH and have lower property taxes(I'd like to own a big house so property taxes are an issue) but still enjoy tax free shopping in NH.

And if I knew I was coming here for retirement I would buy my cars before I came to Maine to avoid Maine sales tax.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 AM

653 posts, read 1,909,836 times
sales/property taxes(home), i personaly prefered state with sales tax over state with high property taxes any time. sales tax is only when you buy, you can control that. Property tax you have to pay if you want to live in your own home. many people force out of thire home because they can no longer able to pay tax.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:09 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Yippee!!! We have plenty of those were I am now. It's only one of many things that I look forward to "losing" when we move!
LOL

Old 04-21-2008, 09:07 AM

9,220 posts, read 10,983,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Maineah - you are right. Because of one case here that the national media picked up on, VT was unfairly labeled. In fact, Vermont was just named in some study was ranked #1 in the country for the safety of kids. Maine was right behind us. If I didnt love my homestate so much, we'd be in Maine
O'Reilley went to town on VT for what seemed weeks. The fact that some state legislatures had the audacity to not pass the laws that he instructed them to pass is apparently an unforgiveable sin, worthy of a crusade.

Saying that, this ME/NH/VT is a debate we are having at our house, too. I will post a separate thread, but we don't want to move again once we locate, settle, buy land, build, and stay put.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
...now, now, Marxist liberals are what makes the crime rate in Maine so low-giving people second chances etc. is good for the system and greater good of Maine and such a philosophy provides me a job-
What makes the crime rate low in Maine is a lack of gangs and drug crime. That and the fact that everyone outside of the Portland city limits has at least a half dozen guns in their closet. Reality sets in quickly for would-be crooks when they kick down your front door and are left facing a 12 gauge shotgun. I know there are some hand wringers out there who hate guns....that's ok the rest of us have you covered......you're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine