U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,980,924 times

Advertisements

There was a story on NPR this evening regarding heating assitance programs for Maine families in need. Noting that heating fuel prices have risen to record highs and there are more families than ever requesting help.

Maine forum members, please recommend good, local programs, with addresses, that can use some help. I would personally prefer to send a paper check by USPS mail, as I can't send that much, and would like to help a qualified group that doesn't necessarily have a slick web site.

This would be a way for we "hope to be Mainers" to establish a little presence in the state in a good way. I would like to help a group on a regular basis, not just a one time donation. I am not wealthy but hope every little bit helps.

Thanks, qw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
If you are affiliated with a church or civic group there is most likely a branch or parish here. A lot of churches know about local emergency needs, people who are out or about to be out of fuel. The bigger organizations such as LIHEAP are seriously backed up, applications are taking 8 weeks to be reviewed. If you applied for LIHEAP in November, it'll be January before you even hear if you application has been seen. Citizens Energy (Joe Kennedy's project) will award a ONE time voucher for 100 gallons of oil if you meet the criteria. Citizens Energy is also woefully behind. It can take 2 weeks just for them to send the application to you to fill out. Smaller organizations like churches and civic groups have more flexability to fill immediate needs. God Bless You for your kind thought.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Recommend Maine Heating Assistance - Followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
There was a story on NPR this evening regarding heating assitance programs for Maine families in need...
I forgot to add these links - and in addition, did not want to give the impression that I did not want to help the "Keep the Heat On" program in Buxton ME, because they have a web site link. Perhaps I have answered my own question. The Buxton program looks just like what I was looking for.

Sorry for the omissions...

http://www.buxton.me.us/Pages/BuxtonME_BComm/heat

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=17416038

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/...038&m=17415994

Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times

Old 12-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,519 posts, read 4,928,995 times
Thumbs up Hello Quiet Walker!

GOOD FOR YOU!

May God Bless You for what you are doing! Great thought during this time of

the year!

Take gentle care,

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
There was a story on NPR this evening regarding heating assitance programs for Maine families in need. Noting that heating fuel prices have risen to record highs and there are more families than ever requesting help.

Maine forum members, please recommend good, local programs, with addresses, that can use some help. I would personally prefer to send a paper check by USPS mail, as I can't send that much, and would like to help a qualified group that doesn't necessarily have a slick web site.

This would be a way for we "hope to be Mainers" to establish a little presence in the state in a good way. I would like to help a group on a regular basis, not just a one time donation. I am not wealthy but hope every little bit helps.

Thanks, qw

Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 PM

87 posts, read 225,081 times
I work for HEAP on LI and I will tell you I am working on applications today that came in, in September so it is a long wait for assistance and with todays prices it is just a stipence.
Sue

Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
The Maine Seacoast Mission helps many people in Hancock and Washington Counties with heat and other needed resources, and serves the other islands as well.

http://www.seacoastmission.org/

Old 12-19-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
If you are affiliated with a church or civic group there is most likely a branch or parish here. A lot of churches know about local emergency needs, people who are out or about to be out of fuel. The bigger organizations such as LIHEAP are seriously backed up, applications are taking 8 weeks to be reviewed. If you applied for LIHEAP in November, it'll be January before you even hear if you application has been seen. Citizens Energy (Joe Kennedy's project) will award a ONE time voucher for 100 gallons of oil if you meet the criteria. Citizens Energy is also woefully behind. It can take 2 weeks just for them to send the application to you to fill out. Smaller organizations like churches and civic groups have more flexability to fill immediate needs. God Bless You for your kind thought.
Thank you for your valuable description of the situation. Yes, churches would be a good choice. That's the kind of group I am looking for. One that is on the scene, know the immediate needs, and can apply assistance immediately, without having to go through a bureaucratic procedure, that others may have more time to process. Its' very bad to be cold and no one should be in this wealthy country.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
The Maine Seacoast Mission helps many people in Hancock and Washington Counties with heat and other needed resources, and serves the other islands as well.

http://www.seacoastmission.org/
Thank You for your answer.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:15 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
thank you quiet walker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine