U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,888,940 times

Advertisements

Maybe the Boston Globe has a contract with a telemarketing firm in Bangalore.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,113,010 times
I stopped answering the phone years ago. I never worry about scammers as they never get the foot in the door.
If I do answer the phone it had better be someone I know or within 10 seconds I just hang up.

Saves lots of hassle!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:28 AM

182 posts, read 428,724 times
Answering the phone "Buenos Dias" or "Guten Tag" usually weeds em out right there. People we know will chuckle and say cut the crap and it throws telemarketers off the script.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 727 times
Default Not nice at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
Husband said the guy was really nice, and if he'd have been doing something else AND taking the call, and was remotely interested in the newspaper he may have missed these things.
No, he wasn't really nice. He was likely a criminal (in this case, a poor actor, too). You've unwittingly given a demonstration of just how easy it is to scam people, by stating your belief that this man was "really nice" because he SOUNDED nice. It's the business of thieves and scammers to pretend to be nice, and many of them do it so well as to be very believable. I know from personal experience (having been scammed) and I can't say it strongly enough: don't buy anything or agree to anything or give out any information over the phone to someone who has called you. Don't even engage them in conversation, because they know how to get around your defenses and how to make you believe that they're "really nice." If you really don't want to be scammed, simply say "I don't give out information or buy anything over the phone" and then hang up immediately. And be sure to put your name on the "no call" list, which works pretty well. After you've done so, you can be safe in assuming that anyone who calls you to solicit ANYTHING is not legitimate. Just hang up!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:03 PM

411 posts, read 790,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post
No, he wasn't really nice. He was likely a criminal (in this case, a poor actor, too). You've unwittingly given a demonstration of just how easy it is to scam people, by stating your belief that this man was "really nice" because he SOUNDED nice.
Okay, first off, I'm not an idiot. I would have never bought from someone who contacted ME to do so. I call THEM, or I don't buy. Even w/ the Bangor Daily. Sorry, I'm smarter than that. I won't get "scammed". We are very careful w/our private information.

Secondly, this guy WAS really nice... on the phone. You can be nice w/out it being literal. I would say that there are several folks on this board who are "really nice" w/out knowing them in person. Maybe it's true literally, maybe it's not. Who knows unless you meet them in person? But I would still consider them "really nice" unless proven wrong. That is how I look at it. Now, is he probably a nice person in real life? Maybe... maybe this is the only job he could get to support his family. While it's not right to do it, it may be his only option. I do feel sorry for those who get "scammed" but if someone really pays attention to things, it won't happen. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. As for the elderly, yes, that is understandable. It happens... alot of them are lonely, and make "friends" this way, by talking to these people over the phone, etc. Maybe it's time that we as a society paid attention to our elderly population, and keep them company, so that this doesn't occur. If more folks knew (or CARED) what was going on w/ their elderly family and friends it wouldn't happen so much.

NOW, back to your regularly scheduled posting. This just bothered me beyond belief.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,512,943 times
KAF I'm glad you responded....when I read it this morning I was going to let it go until Sat evening and then say something if you hadn't! Nice to see you again!!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:19 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,143,684 times
Hard to see the point in further discussing KAF's 8-month old telemarketing experience.

On to more productive ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine