Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's all over the tv around here--I don't live anywhere near Boston but I get their channels. Lots of damage. Yesterday there was a tornado in Wolcott, CT. New England NEVER gets tornadoes. Well, hardly ever.
Well, we do. I lived in tornado alley (Missouri) for seven years and we never got one. Back home in WMass, a few years ago a terrible tornado tore up Springfield. Another wild one on a selective path (just particular roads) ripped through the WMass town we moved from. It was really, really scary. The whole world outdoors was in motion, we thought it was the end of the world. Huge trees down like matchsticks, power lines down, outages for days. I think they call these highly localized events "micro" tornados. I don't believe any place is immune these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post

As for Maine, the closest thing I can remember to a tornado would be Wells in 1976. I was a scared s---less 5 year old there one rough afternoon. I could've sworn there was one nearby that day!
Just a few years ago I was in Wells in a restaurant when a tornado warning came through. Fortunately it didn't materialize into a real twister.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Last time they had a good one in Mass, my son went into a shop called "Finagle a Bagel" and told everybody to go into the cooler. The tornado lifted just a hundred yards from the shop and went right over the top with a big roar. No damage to the shop. That was about 2 years ago the same day as the big one in Springfield.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I was IN the Great Worcester Tornado in Worcester, MA on June 9, 1953. I was visiting my aunt and uncle. There were 114 people killed and today's weather experts estimate it was an F4 or F5. It was 1/4 mile wide. Yes, it was nearly 60 years ago now. Just because there was no internet does not mean it didn't happen.

About 1974 or 75 I canoed down the Allagash River. I arrived where the tornado crossed the Allagash a couple of days after the tornado passed across the river. On of the people in our party thought a very large airplane must have crashed there, but I knew what it was from having been in one 21 years earlier. Trees were twisted off some 20 to 30 feet off the ground.
I remember that Worcester tornado. I remember seeing the horrible pictures in the paper. When I think of a tornado for New England, that's the one I think of.

I remember the tornado that destroyed the air museum at Bradley Field in CT. The sky turned purple and I was working with people from other parts of the country who said, "If I were back home, I'd say that looks like a tornado."

I also had a mini tornado, my very own, go through my backyard while I was away. It was in the 80s in central MA. Insurance didn't cover the damage because it was an "Act of God."

We DO get them, but they are rare and usually small. But if the ones we get are usually small, I sure would hate to see a big one.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
about 12 years ago, I was in augusta,,,, my son was in soccer practice, the sky turned licorice black,,,the wind picked up
and it started hailing - then thunder,,,the kids and parents ran to there cars,,,,and some ran under a tree

I grabbed 2 kids screaming and put them in my truck

the hail is denting the cars,,,, rain started pelting and lightning started to flicker the darkened sky - and I look over and there are parents and kids still under the trees

I told the kids to stay in the truck- and I run to the ladies under the tree,,and tell them to RUN... run to there cars....and they did,,,then a big crash and lightning hit one of those trees -

a 1/4 mile down the road,, a large tractor was lifted and dropped 4 properties away

this is very rare in maine

I cant imagine living in the tornado belt down south,,,where this and worse could happen every day

Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
After the Worcester tornado there was debris falling from the sky all the way to Nantasket Beach at the edge of the ocean. The last building hit was the post office in Fayville on Route 9 near Framingham.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM

506 posts, read 683,819 times
I'll be very worried if we start seeing sharknados.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
Tornado took a clean sweep of North Berwick just a few years ago. And apparently one was spotted in Limington last week.

North Berwick cleans up after tornado — Archive — BDN Maine archive — BDN Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine