Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:40 AM

455 posts, read 1,223,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
June 9, 1982 at 7 pm. But I can't remember what I need when I get to the store.

What??? Was I supposed to be writting something here? Oh, yeah, I graduated on June 15, 1968 wearing a white dress that my mother made for me. It is funny what you can remember... but, it's NOT so funny when I stand in the middle of the room and can't remember why I went there in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 AM

47,864 posts, read 21,884,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Pssst, Elston... you were out of grad school before they got INTO kindergarten, if they graduated in 84.

Just thought I would point that out, being how helpful, and considerate I am.

LOL, sorry, but the devil got into me there and just took over typing duties for a moment. LOL I get the whole age thing as well. Not because I really am that old yet. I still feel like a teenager, but in my mid 40's I don't get away acting like one anymore. I get teased because my DW is 10 years younger than I am. There are still times something comes on the History channel (my personal favorite) and she gets this blank look and dryly comments, oh yeah, you would remember that, but it is before I was thought of yet. Then snickers at me.

Just teasing you, I owe you and your DP a coffee when you get to Maine.
I sorta knew that but thanks for pointing it out...lol. Its funny but I don't see myself or consider myself old. If I were at a work shop and the leader asked the group to seperate itself and for the young people to go sit on the right and the old people to go to the left---I would start to go to the right until someone pointed out my error. LOL

When I was traveling on the train this past summer during a busy commute time, I stood to give up my seat to a lady, she laughed and declined....my partner translated for me that she thought she should give up her seat to me because of my age. LOL

No offense taken.....but I like my coffee with a little milk no sugar and my DP loves a cappacino--do you have Starbucks up there....if not I am sure we can make do with coffee syrup in milk.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 AM

837 posts, read 1,699,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I still feel like a teenager, but in my mid 40's I don't get away acting like one anymore.
Well, that's the weird and (I think) common experience. Your joints may ache, you may be surprised when you look in the mirror, but inside you don't feel old. Am "somewhat" curious to see if I will feel "old" when I am eighty!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:45 AM

When they seem to fit, I have been posting passages that my Great Great Aunt wrote in her journal in 1860. She was from "the Plains" in what is now Portland. This discussion on how old do you feel is one of those times when what she wrote seems to fit. As I read her words I realize how much I love this dear soul. This was her entry on December 28, 1860.

A beautiful winters day. This is my thirty ninth birthday. I am looking quite old, even older than my years. My teeth are much decayed, my hair quite gray and the wrinkles on my brow tell of care and weary watching. Yet I do not feel this old, the sunlight of youth still lays in my heart as the sunshine of this day lays on the surrounding landscape making me forget the many, very many dark gloomy clouds that have so often darkened my whole being, Making me to forget, Oh no! they are never to be forgotten, but their shadow is not as awful in the distance as when it shut out nearly all the blue sky of my … earthly hopes. Though the strongest light of my existence went down at noonday, yet there remaineth to me much to make my head glad. "
(edit note: it does seem like it should be "make my heart glad" but when i look at the old handwriting it appears to be head not heart. )

Old 12-22-2007, 11:58 AM

837 posts, read 1,699,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post

A beautiful winters day. This is my thirty ninth birthday. I am looking quite old, even older than my years. My teeth are much decayed, my hair quite gray and the wrinkles on my brow tell of care and weary watching. Yet I do not feel this old, the sunlight of youth still lays in my heart as the sunshine of this day lays on the surrounding landscape making me forget the many, very many dark gloomy clouds that have so often darkened my whole being, Making me to forget, Oh no! they are never to be forgotten, but their shadow is not as awful in the distance as when it shut out nearly all the blue sky of my … earthly hopes. Though the strongest light of my existence went down at noonday, yet there remaineth to me much to make my head glad. "
(edit note: it does seem like it should be "make my heart glad" but when i look at the old handwriting it appears to be head not heart. )
I love these posts Elston.

But do you know what she means when she says "the strongest light of my existence went down at noonday"? It sounds more like someone has died, than a birthday. (Also, thank heavens for modern dentistry! )

Maybe it's an evolutionary thing--if people started feeling old by the time they were forty or fifty--that might have a negative effect on their psyche and effect their ability (their will) to survive--better to feel that any aches or pains (or wrinkles) are temporary.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:13 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,853,847 times
Quote:
When they seem to fit, I have been posting passages that my Great Great Aunt wrote in her journal in 1860. She was from "the Plains" in what is now Portland. This discussion on how old do you feel is one of those times when what she wrote seems to fit. As I read her words I realize how much I love this dear soul. This was her entry on December 28, 1860.

I love how people wrote way back then. But at 39, she had gray hair??? Yikes! Guess L'oreal wasn't around in 1860 And as Treeluvr stated, thank heavens for modern dentistry. No wonder your poor aunt felt ancient at just 39.

That last part does sound like someone died that day, but apparently there was no other reference to that?

It must be so interesting to have a diary from those days.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I love how people wrote way back then. But at 39, she had gray hair??? Yikes! Guess L'oreal wasn't around in 1860 And as Treeluvr stated, thank heavens for modern dentistry. No wonder your poor aunt felt ancient at just 39.

That last part does sound like someone died that day, but apparently there was no other reference to that?

It must be so interesting to have a diary from those days.
Oh, she is still in deep grief throughout this diary for her husband, Levi. She started the journal just before the first anniversary of his death, and she has many beautiful passages about him; as she goes thru the year she is reminded of him in so many ways. There is always a theme of needing to carry on because she was raising their two daughters. Both of whom were attending Westbrook Academy on Stevens Avenue in Portland. (What she couldnt fortell was that both of her daughters were to die shortly after they graduated. She had been widowed and was soon to bury both of her children. But there were unforseen blessings in store for her as well, that I know because of family history..

Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM

She also writes about dentistry and she chastizes herself for being so afraid of going to the dentist--she was in great emotional pain from the death of her husband and in physical pain from a badly abcessed tooth.

Jan 1 Clear and cold. I have had rather a hard beginning for the new year. While eating my dinner or just as I commenced to eat it my old decayed tooth gave a jump and I gave one too and rushed away from the table. Oh Dear, dear how my head ached and how sick I was for about two hours when I fell asleep and after sleeping awhile awoke much more comfortable. I would give one hundred dollars tonight if my teeth were all out. But here I am without fortitude enough to have them out, so necessarily I must suffer and bear it.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:23 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,330,468 times
Quote:
She also writes about dentistry and she chastizes herself for being so afraid of going to the dentist--she was in great emotional pain from the death of her husband and in physical pain from a badly abcessed tooth.

Jan 1 Clear and cold. I have had rather a hard beginning for the new year. While eating my dinner or just as I commenced to eat it my old decayed tooth gave a jump and I gave one too and rushed away from the table. Oh Dear, dear how my head ached and how sick I was for about two hours when I fell asleep and after sleeping awhile awoke much more comfortable. I would give one hundred dollars tonight if my teeth were all out. But here I am without fortitude enough to have them out, so necessarily I must suffer and bear it.
I love this post,.. some things about daily life stay the same it seems. Thank You Elston.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,490,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
I know they need to acount for snow days but this seems so late. Really only gives the kids a 2 month summer break. Is this the norm in Maine?

This is the norm for Ohio. I believe there is a federal requirement for minimum days..just not sure what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine