Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:27 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,242 times

Advertisements

I typically got out mid June and went back in mid August. Though Seniors got out 2 weeks early, making my graduation date June 1, 1985. For the record, I am always walking into rooms then promptly forgetting why I went there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 07:50 AM

263 posts, read 616,206 times
My daughter will have a long summer break this summer.
Her last day of school in TN is May 23rd and we move to ME the next day.
I think her first day of school is the 28th of August.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:15 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arzachena View Post
My daughter will have a long summer break this summer.
Her last day of school in TN is May 23rd and we move to ME the next day.
I think her first day of school is the 28th of August.
You lucky duck! Where in Maine are you moving to? Oh, BTW, welcome to the Maine forum.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:27 AM

263 posts, read 616,206 times
We will be moving back home to Belfast.
5 months and counting

Old 12-25-2007, 10:22 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Summer vacation is so American. Kids should go to school all year.

I totally disagree; I think I learned as much during the summer as I did in school; well not academics but appreciation of life and how to get along and certainly geography and history when we took family vacations. The "space" that unending summer (even if it was only 2 1/2 months) was invaluable. It also provided lots and lots of exercise and I was a skinny as a bean pole then.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
It always surprises me that some adults look at a child playing and don't realize how much learning is happening!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Summers are a great time for kids and adults to learn and see new things. This last summer my two oldest had been learning about Rosa Parks just before school got out and we were able to take them to the Henry Ford Museum where the actual bus is. I have a picture of them sitting in her seat she refused to give up. I think that made a more lasting impression than reading it out of a book. While they were sitting there there is a recording of Mrs. Parks telling how she felt and what she was thinking that day. They were riveted!

During the long summer breaks my kids have already got to do things that they couldn't have if school went all year. They have seen the battlefields of Gettysburg, President Lincolns chair from the Ford Theater, Sat in Rosa Parks seat, Seen one of the original copies of the Deceleration of Independence, Seen the Old North Church steeple where the lanterns were hung, Seen some of Paul Reveres silver work, I could go on with even more, but I think you get the picture. Summer is a time My wife and I get to show them the real stuff they are learning about in school. We get to take them out and fill in a bit more detail than they can get in a classroom alone. I hope it never changes personally! My oldest will be 10 in a couple of weeks, he has already seen more than a lot of adults I know. He and my 8 year old son both have a thirst for knowledge that comes from being able to see and sometimes touch our History, Science advancements, and the importance of language.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:23 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Summers are a great time for kids and adults to learn and see new things. This last summer my two oldest had been learning about Rosa Parks just before school got out and we were able to take them to the Henry Ford Museum where the actual bus is. I have a picture of them sitting in her seat she refused to give up. I think that made a more lasting impression than reading it out of a book. While they were sitting there there is a recording of Mrs. Parks telling how she felt and what she was thinking that day. They were riveted!

During the long summer breaks my kids have already got to do things that they couldn't have if school went all year. They have seen the battlefields of Gettysburg, President Lincolns chair from the Ford Theater, Sat in Rosa Parks seat, Seen one of the original copies of the Deceleration of Independence, Seen the Old North Church steeple where the lanterns were hung, Seen some of Paul Reveres silver work, I could go on with even more, but I think you get the picture. Summer is a time My wife and I get to show them the real stuff they are learning about in school. We get to take them out and fill in a bit more detail than they can get in a classroom alone. I hope it never changes personally! My oldest will be 10 in a couple of weeks, he has already seen more than a lot of adults I know. He and my 8 year old son both have a thirst for knowledge that comes from being able to see and sometimes touch our History, Science advancements, and the importance of language.
I so agree. When I think back on my summer vacations they were a time of learning and of reinforcing what we had learned during the school year. I remember visiting the Mound builders mounds and forts in Ohio and Indiana and Kentucky and getting a glimpse into archeology; I remember following the Freedom Trail in Boston and learning revolutionary war history by going into the buildings; I remember being in a tent for long days when we went camping and it rained, while we all took turns reading aloud to each other, "Freckles" and "Girl of the Limberlost" by Jean Stratton Porter stands out in my mind. I remember going to camp and learning how to weave and how to etch aluminum trays; I remember bird and tree identification and mist netting and banding (with my boys)--summer vacations were as important as school and I wouldn't give up that part of my childhood for anything. (And with the bike riding and hiking and running and swimming there weren't any obese children.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:38 PM

106 posts, read 422,413 times
this year has been bad for snow so far, don't stress, its not always like this.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 PM

264 posts, read 758,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
You know... I have read the arguments for and against extended summer breaks. But really I just like having the down time with my kids with no homework stress and no absolute schedules.

Now please be good friends and don't bump this post when I'm whining in July about the length of summer. :P

I was reading back through old posts....and its still July so I couldn't resist bumping this up! LOL sorry!!! How's the summer with the kids going?! For me, it depends on the momment you ask me and if we are off doing fun stuff or if I have 3 kids argueing with each other over stupid stuff! LOL

By the way, here in NJ, we got out this year June 18 (only 1 snow day was added on!) and we also go back right after labor day! Another school year here and we'll probably be up there after that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine