Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,726 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I come from France and I live in Maine since few months.
My renter kept a key of my house and came without say to me when I was not at home.
I was afraid to know that and change the key. My renter is angry and say that I must give him a key, it's in the law !
I'm afraid because he can come, afraid my cat and take my cash if he wants !

Is it a law about who keep the keys?
If yes, can you give me the number or a link to find it, please?

If not, how do you do in this case?

Thanks to help me !
Sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 11,994 times
http://www.ptla.org/index.html

It's not OK for a landlord to enter without giving 24 hours notice and stating the reason. Pinetree Legal can answer your questions. Do you have a lease? Why did landlord enter?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:33 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,728 times
Default landlord must have keys, must give notice to enter.

I'm guessing that when you say renter--you mean your landlord (the person who owns the place and to whom you pay rent). You are the "renter. (Tricky language, isn't it. I don't live in Maine, but I have been renting in many states for a long time, and the rules are generally the same. The landlord does need and is entitled to have the keys. He should not enter your property without notifying you that he will do so. Many landlords will want to inspect the place once or twice a year or to make sure you aren't ruining his property, or for insurance purposes. If there is an emergency, (in most states, he does have the right to enter the apartment/house without first notifying you. This could be something like a water leak coming from your apartment, the smell of gas or smoke, etc.

Most (not all) landlords are trustworthy. But, he does have a right to the keys, and if he enters the place without notifying you that he is going to (once or twice a year, maybe) you should be able to get out of your lease.

Might be a problem getting any deposit back without a lawyer.

Sorry you are having problems.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:40 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
Your landlord has the right to a key. If your landlord entered the premises without notice and without an emergency situation, he may have violated the law and could be sued by you. I hope this helps. Click on the site below and scroll down.

http://www.ptla.org/ptlasite/cliented/tenants13.htm

WHY DID HE ENTER YOUR HOUSE?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
That is terrible. He should not have done that!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Hmm..... very odd. Landlord tries to enter your place twice in 4 months? Check for hidden cameras. He might be stopping by to get the tapes.

As for the keys, I think you have to give him a new key if you change the locks, but this guy sounds creepy. Tell him too bad, no key, and if he comes in your place again, your calling the police. He should back down after that.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:35 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Triskey59, you probably should move. If you don't feel safe you should find a place where you are safe and have peace of mind. Unless there's an emergency the landlord must give you 24 hours notice before entering your house/apartment. Your landlord must always have a key no matter where you live.

Changing the lock and not giving the landlord the key is a valid reason for eviction. If the landlord changes the locks so that he does have a key you'll probably have to pay for his expenses. If you refuse to give him a key he can evict you. If you don't give him a key and an emergency happens you're going to have to pay for reasonable damages done to get into the building.

I hope you'll consider moving to a safer place. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine