Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 06:24 PM

749 posts, read 413,937 times

Advertisements

Currently here, at Aurora, ME....43F Dew Point 37F, Winds, ENE 4 MPH, Beautiful moonlight obscured now and then by a few clouds...

Day three of our power outage....Was at the bakery in Old Town (on Monday morning), when the electricity went out and it took us four hours to get home...We tried going over the bridge and heading South on 178 - Traffic light had collasped and was blocking the intersection, so we headed South on I-95, jumping off to 395, Down 1A towards Ellsworth, to 46 where that road was closed, then headed back toward Brewer, hoping to get onto to Route 9...to no avail, it was closed...Spent about an hour and had a nice cheeseburger (prepared by a flashlight) and fries, in a Restaurant/Lounge....In Brewer. Finally (after contacting MDOT, discovered Route 9 was open again, though at one point it was one lane).....What a freaking wild ride home!!! As if Old Town (Bangor and Brewer), wasn't bad enough, we passed by trees being held-back by powerlines...At one point we had to drive UNDER a tree and the line holding it up (the one lane wonder)! All I could think is NEVER, are we driving in on to work the day of a nasty windstorm! Thankfully, we didn't lose our Ancient Rock Maples, however, the wind blew-out our upstairs windows in the shed! Writing by battery (no wi-fi + extended data)! What an adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 07:08 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,092,312 times
I had that problem coming back to Maine two years ago in September in a wild rainstorm. All the roads were closed and we kept having to tke long detours. It took us almost 12 hours from central Massawhatsitis.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,557,799 times
Emera says "maybe Saturday" for us. That will be the sixth day.

My son came up and we got the dock out onto bare ground. We have four trees down at camp, one of which is leaning dangerously toward camp. I'll cast a weighted monofilament line over the tree, use that to pull a nylon cord and then a strong rope. I'll use the 4WD Kubota to pull the tree away from camp. Then if it has not fallen I'll cut it with a chain saw. Nothing will go to waste. I had flagged three other dead trees for removal near camp. they are all leaning and one broke off half way up. It will all be firewood and I won't have to lug it far.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Emera says "maybe Saturday" for us. That will be the sixth day.
You have a generator, right? How big is it? Does it run on propane? And if so, how much propane does it use per hour?

Old 11-02-2017, 10:01 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,557,799 times
I have a Honda 2000i. It runs the house except for furnace and well. My well is 220 volts and the generator is marginal for that. So, we have no running water. I use a 5 gallon bucket to flush the toilet. The wood stove keeps the house warm. If this were February, I would drain the water to the second floor and live on the first floor only. I love the 2000i. It is expensive to buy, but cheap to run.

You can get a 2,000 watt generator at Harbor Freight for a third the price. I have had my Honda for about eight years. It is very reliable. I would buy the same one to replace it if necessary. That said, I would buy a Harbor Freight unit as a second economy generator, but I would not be without a Honda.

BTW, The Honda is safe with computers and my office copier.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:03 AM

I need something a lot bigger than that. Even using buckets on the toilet can be a problem since I have a sand mound above the house and over filling the septic tank will cause the sewage to back up into the house eventually. We need to be able to have water from the 140 foot deep well, and some lights.

No....2000 watts is about 1/8 of what we need.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:37 PM

749 posts, read 413,937 times
Currently here, at Aurora, ME...54F, Dew Point 54F...Winds WNW 9MPH....Cloudy, but not raining yet!
This is actually our fifth night without power! Didn't count Monday night (after work) when I last posted....Will be working two Saturdays in a row to make up for the time we missed during the Big Blow!!! Have to take laundry into town to do (instead of drying on racks in the drying room at home)....on Sunday! Still, though, there was something special about being sortof homebound this past week! Moving in rythm with a farm life (though we haven't any livestock, yet)....Rising before dawn and retiring after sunset....So momentarily we sigh...remembering the feel and peace of this previous week and press into tomorrow!

Old 11-04-2017, 06:51 AM

83,289 posts, read 74,544,003 times
Sorry to hear about your continued power outages. Gees.

High Pressure in control today. Enjoy it.

Rain moves in northern Maine tomorrow afternoon/evening, scattered for Southern Maine..

Monday another front moves in with more light rain chances across the state, warm day

Temps will be warm Monday in the 50s then start dropping hard with maybe light snow for northern Maine Thursday with the Arctic front

Old 11-04-2017, 06:57 AM

NWS Caribou mentioning could get interesting with the "possible" storm system moving in as the Arctic air moves in as well. Still too far out. (6 days)

Nice discussion though on the forecast from today till end of week. Only posting a tid bit of it.

Quote:
National Weather Service Caribou ME
612 AM EDT Sat Nov 4 2017

Today will be a cool and dry day as high pressure builds in from
Canada. The northwesterly breeze will diminish and the end of
the day will become tranquil as the high begins to crest over
the area. Some high cloudiness will stray into the area ahead of
a warm front lifting into the Great Lakes region. This evening
will be tranquil as high clouds continue to increase from the
west and high pressure begins to move to our east. It will be
considerably colder than recent nights with lows in the 20s
north to 30s Downeast.

High pres will build across the region right into Thursday will
temps being close to normal for early November. Things could get
a bit interesting by Friday
as a low pres system setting up
across the region. Attm, the 00z ECWMF and GFS show the
potential for some snow later Thursday night into Friday w/some
colder air settling into the region. This cold air could make it
feel like December
. There is still plenty of time to see how
things shape up w/this potential system.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:00 AM

November snowfall for Bangor, Maine.

2014 had the most with 25.9". Top 12 snowiest Novembers inside the box. Graph shows all November snow totals since 1926. (some years missing)

Source: Let me know if you need help finding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine