Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 07:20 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,855,247 times

Advertisements

Beautiful day in The County. Allowed for a nice trip over across to see the trestle in New Denmark.... one of the biggest in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 10:34 PM

We may set the record for least snow in November. Less than one inch so far. The record is 1.5 inches.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:20 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,092,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
We may set the record for least snow in November. Less than one inch so far. The record is 1.5 inches.
Caribou Weather says you have been getting an inch here and inch there and have received at least 10 inches so far. Maybe they are full of blooey, or you are not in the right place.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Caribou Weather says you have been getting an inch here and inch there and have received at least 10 inches so far. Maybe they are full of blooey, or you are not in the right place.
https://www.facebook.com/NWSCaribou/

It's from the NWS itself. Scroll down a bit.
We got a little last night, not sure if it was even an inch.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/NWSCaribou/

It's from the NWS itself. Scroll down a bit.
We got a little last night, not sure if it was even an inch.
I’ve never been happy with their predictions for Bar Harbor. They always are too optimistic when they predict good weather and too pessimistic when they predict bad weather. It seems to be a kind of fear mongering.

I remember hearing them say that things it was warmer that ever before. So I called them on it. I asked how much warmer and they said 0.1 degree. And then I asked them what the error of measurement was for that, and they said +/- 2 degrees. And then they had the gall to say, “But we’re really experienced taking the measurements” as if that made any dam difference at all.

I think they play fast and loose with their predictions. Intellicast Weather is far more realistic, at least for Bar Harbor.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I’ve never been happy with their predictions for Bar Harbor. They always are too optimistic when they predict good weather and too pessimistic when they predict bad weather. It seems to be a kind of fear mongering.

I remember hearing them say that things it was warmer that ever before. So I called them on it. I asked how much warmer and they said 0.1 degree. And then I asked them what the error of measurement was for that, and they said +/- 2 degrees. And then they had the gall to say, “But we’re really experienced taking the measurements” as if that made any dam difference at all.

I think they play fast and loose with their predictions. Intellicast Weather is far more realistic, at least for Bar Harbor.
When it come to predicting the weather for northern Maine, I find all of the downstate media forecasts (such as WCSH, MPBN, etc.) are often way off. I guess they focus more on southern Maine and New Hampshire, but they still seem to delight in being wrong for anything north of Bangor.
(That NWS link is for total accumulation up to Saturday, by the way...........not a forecast. I do think we might have gotten an inch last night. Of course, up in the Valley they probably have gotten a bit more).

Old 11-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
When it come to predicting the weather for northern Maine, I find all of the downstate media forecasts (such as WCSH, MPBN, etc.)
I don’t listen to any of the TV new stations. I look at the Intellicast or Wunderweather forecast and then look at the windspeeds and the doppler radar.

TV and NWS forecasters are either playing to businesses that offer food or equipment or the ratings, or they have a goverment sponsored climate agenda, IMO.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:18 PM

749 posts, read 413,937 times
Currently here, in Aurora, ME, 28F, Dew Point 19F...Winds WNW 15 MPH...Cloudy & cold....
A long, sought rest of four days off we found, encompasing Thanksgiving Day! Aching joints and muscles finally received a rest...Weary souls longing for reprive, satisfied..
Walked the Birch Meadows these past four days...becoming once again one with the land...Discovered a new Beaver Lodge along the lower pond and smiled! Looks like a new family is homesteading!
Thankful for the rest..Thankful for this life in Downeast Maine...Thankful to be living our dreams!

Old 11-28-2017, 05:21 AM

83,289 posts, read 74,544,003 times
6:15am temps this morning. Didn't expect to see single digits and teens in Maine.. Maybe because I haven't been following the latest in this boring pattern we got. lol

Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,557,799 times
13 above this morning on the Trans Maine Trail. Since 1983 we have had two Christmases with no snow. The long range forecast shows some cold, but no significant snow. I hope we at least get a dusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine