Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:31 PM

25 posts, read 69,902 times

Advertisements

Would any of you be willing to do a weekly image share to chronicle the weather through Jan?

We are relocating and I'm semi assuming it'll be November or early December, before christmas but in the event of jokers, then in Jan for sure. I'm pushing for November and would like to see what to expect in terms of weather through the end of the year. It will help me better plan how to handle the winter conditions that are utterly extreme from what I'm used to, and what we might be running into, as much as how to plan for the trip.

Thanks for whoever takes on the request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:52 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Have any of you seen woolly worms this year? If so how wide is the stripe? I got squirrels running around like crazy here more than previous years.

It's nice CityData allows Youtube videos to be posted and embeds them automatically. Here's couple regarding the woolies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3du6wQ6cg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGcNWe2oqcg

Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 AM

348 posts, read 416,093 times
Oh my gosh! We had woolly worms in Missouri where I grew up. I haven't seen them anywhere else. I used to love playing with them / watching them! I know, I know, it sounds weird now...but I used to pet them. >_> Don't judge. It was a farm. In the 70s. Not a lot of entertainment!
I can't wait to see them again! It's funny how sometimes you don't realize how much you miss something until you see it again.
Thank you for this thread, and those posts.

-T.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:45 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesM View Post
Would any of you be willing to do a weekly image share to chronicle the weather through Jan?

We are relocating and I'm semi assuming it'll be November or early December, before christmas but in the event of jokers, then in Jan for sure. I'm pushing for November and would like to see what to expect in terms of weather through the end of the year. It will help me better plan how to handle the winter conditions that are utterly extreme from what I'm used to, and what we might be running into, as much as how to plan for the trip.

Thanks for whoever takes on the request.
Not sure what you mean by doing a "weekly image share"

Where are you moving to in Maine and where are you coming from? If it's the Portland area.. below is a link that hopefully will work. It's from the National Climatic Data Center and thankfully this data and countless other climate data products are now free for viewing; as for me, my hard earned tax dollars pay off at least some when it comes to this. This link is for 2013 which was a fairly cold winter. Also included is a table of extremes that have been achieved in Portland over the years. Hope this helps.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders...57303D349D.pdf

Old 10-04-2014, 07:49 AM

109 posts, read 198,804 times
It's MAINE. Expect cold & snow.
"global warming is real & dangerous" but it has been cooling for 18 years now!

It appears we are cycling back to colder and snowier weather here in Maine so be prepared for the worst. Just remember not to bring a nice/fancy car here and expect to buy new/newer every few years due to the chemicals they put on the roads.

I remember several years [back into the sixties] where we had blizzards in the early deer season! [mid October]
Anyone else remember the split deer season?

Old 10-04-2014, 06:07 PM

506 posts, read 683,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
It's MAINE. Expect cold & snow.
"global warming is real & dangerous" but it has been cooling for 18 years now!
It has????

Old 10-04-2014, 07:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
It has. Despite the gloom and doomers saying we are all going to roast in blazing droughts, it's getting cooler. It isn't just Maine. It's the world. It's easy to fool some of the people. A few administrations back the Maine State Treasurer bought carbon credits at about $58 dollars a share with OUR tax dollars. Those shares are worth about eight cents a share now.

Last winter the ice on our lakes was thicker than it has been in years. This year in August we had a frost and record cold. This September we had a 92 degree day for record heat. That is weather, not climate. This past winter and summer there was more Arctic ice than we have had in several years. It has been decades since we had a category five hurricane in our country. The last one was Hugo and it flattened Homestead Air Force Base in Florida.

The Farmer's Almanac forecasts a colder than normal winter with normal snowfall. It should be great snowmobiling. Life is good year round in Maine.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:44 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It has. Despite the gloom and doomers saying we are all going to roast in blazing droughts, it's getting cooler. It isn't just Maine. It's the world. It's easy to fool some of the people. A few administrations back the Maine State Treasurer bought carbon credits at about $58 dollars a share with OUR tax dollars. Those shares are worth about eight cents a share now.

Last winter the ice on our lakes was thicker than it has been in years. This year in August we had a frost and record cold. This September we had a 92 degree day for record heat. That is weather, not climate. This past winter and summer there was more Arctic ice than we have had in several years. It has been decades since we had a category five hurricane in our country. The last one was Hugo and it flattened Homestead Air Force Base in Florida.

The Farmer's Almanac forecasts a colder than normal winter with normal snowfall. It should be great snowmobiling. Life is good year round in Maine.
While I agree with most of your post.. It's the Antarctic that has had well above normal ice, infact.. all time record breaking amounts of ice down there. The Arctic on the other hand has had below normal ice and that is chiefly because of oceanic currents which have been proven to be cyclical in nature, one of the chief drivers in our climate outside of the sun.

Secondly, it was Hurricane Andrew that hit Homestead in 1992. I was in West Palm Beach at the time and we had nothing more than a gale with a few palm fronds blown around. Hugo hit Puerto Rico and later in South Carolina.

Regardless, your point is well taken and agreed.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:17 AM

109 posts, read 198,804 times
NMLM, I'd have repped ya on your last post but this site wants me to "spread it around"!

Regardless, the MYTH is busted and people are waking up. [at least some are]

Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
7am temps. It's actually below normal down to Florida. Maine is not yet since the front hasn't cleared. It's colder in Georgia than Maine. Actually it's colder in parts of Florida than Maine right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine