U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 05:19 AM

9,461 posts, read 14,239,884 times

Advertisements

Highest impact will be DC an Mrtha's Vinyard. Good place for it. Maybe DC won't start back until May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 AM

64,679 posts, read 47,018,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Yea but that has been a good thing after last winter.

This Blizzard Jonas that is going to hit in Virginia etc looks like similar one to the 2010 one that hit us hard when we lived down there. We got 34" in that storm with blizzard conditions, hard winds etc. ( ie Snow-Maggeden. ).
Oh man.. this is almost a spitting reminder with that storm (An El Nino winter as well). I remember I got 0"! and points south got hammered.

Now I might get just 4" while Long Island might get 10 inches!

I'll be updating the thread all day.

January 22-24, 2016 Northeast / Mid-Atlantic Major Snowstorm

Old 01-22-2016, 01:29 PM

177 posts, read 106,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Highest impact will be DC an Mrtha's Vinyard. Good place for it. Maybe DC won't start back until May.
One can only hope! Maybe it'll coincide with another global warming summit.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:24 PM

1,193 posts, read 805,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Oh man.. this is almost a spitting reminder with that storm (An El Nino winter as well). I remember I got 0"! and points south got hammered.

Now I might get just 4" while Long Island might get 10 inches!

I'll be updating the thread all day.

January 22-24, 2016 Northeast / Mid-Atlantic Major Snowstorm
Interesting to know that for future reference. The 2009-2010 winter was a wild one in Virginia as we got 3 Blizzards starting with one in December and then two more Jan/Feb. That was also the year, if I remember right, that a big Derecho storm that knocked down over 20 large old trees in June with straight down tornado force wind in a thunderstorm that exceeded 80 mph. Quite a violent year for storms.

This year has been a much milder winter for us here with only about 33 inches of snow total for the month of January. While we did start burning the woodstoves earlier this year, as the it was colder sooner in the fall, the temperatures were not as cold either as last year.

Good comparison to know for the future- the connection of El Nino and Maine winter , where as in Virginia a strong El Nino winter means bigger storms though less frequent in weather. Knowing the state of Virginia, adding DC MD area well- watching the weather channel in this storm now does further make one understand just how bad it is going to be. We made contact with all family members, and everyone is just hunkered down and prepared... Going to be a wild one !

Old 01-22-2016, 08:48 PM

9,461 posts, read 14,239,884 times
I saw my first flock of snow buntings yesterday. Thy are late this winter. I estimate 60 to 80 in the flock. They don't hold still so you can count them.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:07 AM

177 posts, read 106,133 times
Well, that was quite the historical storm down there. I bet Cambium got over a foot of snow himself!

Was looking at some stories today and what jumped out at me was the number of states affected. These are high snow totals per state ( http://www.weather.com/storms/winter...ports-blizzard ). This was a big storm!:

Here are the top snow and ice totals by state reported as of 2:14 a.m. Sunday, with the highest snow totals listed first:

Mid-Atlantic and Northeast (Friday-Saturday)

West Virginia: 40 inches of snow in Glengary, in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.
Virginia: 39 inches in Philomont, about 25 miles northwest of Washington, D.C.
Maryland: 38 inches in Redhouse, in western Maryland. Redhouse is 150 miles west of Baltimore.
New York: 30.5 inches at JFK Airport in New York City.
Pennsylvania: 35.5 inches at Somerset, about 25 miles southwest of Altoona.
New Jersey: 29.6 inches at Whitehouse, in Readington Township in the northern part of the state.
Connecticut: 16 inches at Greenwich, near the New York border in far southwestern Connecticut.
Delaware: 15.5 inches at Woodside in Kent County.
Rhode Island: 15.5 inches at Westerly, in the southwestern corner of the state.
Massachusetts: 14.5 inches at West Harwich on Cape Cod.

South and Ohio Valley (Friday-Early Saturday)

Kentucky: 22 inches near Booneville in eastern Kentucky; 12.2 inches of snow and 0.30 inch of ice in Bowling Green; 2 inch per hour snowfall rates in Jackson with a storm total of 16.2 inches
North Carolina: 19 inches near Old Fort. Also 0.65 inches of ice glaze near Selma.
Ohio: 17 inches in Graysville, in southeast Ohio, about 80 miles southwest of Pittsburgh.
Tennessee: 14 inches in Jamestown. Nashville reported thundersnow during the day Friday with a storm total of 8 inches.
Arkansas: 8 inches near Sherwood, Cabot and Jacksonville.
Georgia: 7.5 inches at Dillard in Rabun County of far northeast Georgia.
South Carolina: 7.5 inches of snow in Inman; 1/2 inch of ice glaze in Fort Mill. Both are close to the North Carolina border.
Illinois: 5.5 inches at Shawneetown, in the southeastern parts of the state near the Ohio River.
Indiana: 5 inches in Floyds Knobs, just over the Ohio River from Louisville.
Alabama: 3.5 inches near Harvest, just to the northwest of Huntsville.
Louisiana: 2.5 inches in Haynesville, near the Arkansas border.
Mississippi: 2 inches in Oxford and Myrtle, both in northern Mississippi.

During the early stages of Jonas' development, snow fell in the Plains states Thursday. Snowfall totals included:

Kansas: 10 inches in Barnes; 9.5 inches in Haddam
Nebraska: 9 inches in Hebron; 8 inches in Hubbell
Missouri: 3 inches snow in East Prairie

Old 01-25-2016, 08:18 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,515,696 times
Farmer's Almanac. Unusually it tends to be off about 3 days or so.

JANUARY 2016
24th-27th. Storm hugs coast on its way north; snow initially, then milder air will change precipitation to rain.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:49 PM

Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,515,696 times
Most of the snow at my house in northern MDI is now gone. Now I'll be dodging crap on the lawn again. Hopefully we can get some more this weekend.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:51 AM

Light snow today

Rain and Warm Wednesday

Then after mid next week Winter comes back. Cold.

Clipper Snow on the 7th.

Next big snowstorm "chance" will be around the 10th!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or