U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:02 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times

Advertisements

Winter Density lettuce growing in my greenhouse this afternoon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
If I'm not mistaken the bush by the shed might be a big lilac already. It wouldn't surprise me because they are all over up here.

I have 6 or 7 in my yard, the traditional light purple ones along with a couple of white and a very dark red/violet one. Across the front of the house is the dark one, a white one and a light purple one. I keep thinking the white one is going to die every year, but it hangs on and proves me wrong every single year. I am going to plant a few of the primrose ones just for a bit more color, I love the light yellow color those have.

I have grown several different types of corn up here, a few different tomato, enough snap peas to make me never want to see another one as long as I live, and some very good carrots and onions. You just have to watch the number of days it takes and start some things indoors because of the shorter season further north. I can't get a decent hot pepper to make it because I don't have a greenhouse type area to start them long before the time I could get them in the ground.
Oh...I sure hope you are right about that. I would just KNOW that I was in the right place in theis world if there is a Lilac bush already there. I do believe that is one of the things I miss the most.
Can you grow cukes, green peppers, the famous zucinni squach and the things like that? I am sure the growing season will be much shorter way up there than it was down in Cape Neddick (very southern Maine)

Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbymoulton View Post
Oh...I sure hope you are right about that. I would just KNOW that I was in the right place in theis world if there is a Lilac bush already there. I do believe that is one of the things I miss the most.
Can you grow cukes, green peppers, the famous zucinni squach and the things like that? I am sure the growing season will be much shorter way up there than it was down in Cape Neddick (very southern Maine)
Aren't lilacs wonderful!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM

It's not much shorter Abby. You can stretch the season on both ends with a little Yankee Ingenuity and working the soil as early as it's ready.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's not much shorter Abby. You can stretch the season on both ends with a little Yankee Ingenuity and working the soil as early as it's ready.
Thanks MW. So I guess we will just plant all the normal things we used to have in Cape Neddick. Now...I know we are going to have to use the 5 acres over in Wooldland for garden things to can and freeze, etc. I will try to plant for fresh in the backyard. (that is if I can find room there after I get done putting in Lilacs.)

Old 12-31-2007, 11:52 AM

You can put up enough food to feed a small community on five acres. That's a LOT of food. I fed my family of four, not counting the 10 month greenhouse because that's new, on less than an acre. It was more than enough for fresh from June to October/November, filling the cellar, canning and freezing.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
You can put up enough food to feed a small community on five acres. That's a LOT of food. I fed my family of four, not counting the 10 month greenhouse because that's new, on less than an acre. It was more than enough for fresh from June to October/November, filling the cellar, canning and freezing.
I didn't mean we would plant the entire 5 acres. But, there is only 0.25 acres with the house. So the big garden will have to go over on the land. Although, the hubby was looking through catologs last night and has picked out 93 different things to plant. I guess we will be VERY busy planting and weeding and harvesting and I will be nonstop canning for months. I think he is trying to make up for the lost 20 years all in the first season.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 PM

ahhh! Got it! 93 sounds perfectly reasonable when there's 20 years to cover. What will you grow?

Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 PM

653 posts, read 1,677,820 times
Quote:
Winter Density lettuce growing in my greenhouse this afternoon

mw, the lettuce look very heathy, do you heathing the greenhouse ?.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
ahhh! Got it! 93 sounds perfectly reasonable when there's 20 years to cover. What will you grow?
Robin, my hubby says he is glad that you understand most people just think he is crazy. He will get you a list if there is anything you want to try he would be glad to share.

I have known he was a bit crazy for years....but that's part of why I love him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or