U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:04 AM

303 posts, read 1,289,512 times

Advertisements

One luxury we keep promising ourselves when we move to Maine is a hot tub. We haven't seen any at the properties we've been checking out on line. Are they rare in Maine? Any considerations with all the snow or weather in general? Do folks have cabana type things built over them?
Anyone on the forum have some suggestions? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 06:22 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,091,541 times
Hot tubs are just beginning to grow in popularity in New England over the last several years.
I remember sitting in one in March with snow flurries a few years ago--
Some as you suggest have them installed in cabana style situations or 3 season porches.

If outdoors entirely Weather is not usually a problem unless there is a blizzard, or hurricane.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:28 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
One luxury we keep promising ourselves when we move to Maine is a hot tub. We haven't seen any at the properties we've been checking out on line. Are they rare in Maine? Any considerations with all the snow or weather in general? Do folks have cabana type things built over them?
Anyone on the forum have some suggestions? thanks
Though I don't own one, I have installed several hot tubs for people in Northern New England. Almost all of them have been set into a deck and just have a cover. They are used year round. The fanciest hot tub we put in had a all glass room built over it and the water supply and pipes underneath were enclosed in an insulated crawl space with a heater installed to keep plumbing from freezing.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:31 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
i like hot tubs, and wished i had one,,

most hot-tubs are considered "personal property" and may not be considered in the sale,
some elaborate hot tubs, that are "built-ins" may be considered fixtures (amenities or improvements that are annexed or part of the real estate value) that would detract from the value of the property if hot-tub was removed.
think of it like a hutch, most hutches are portable (personal property, but the built in hutches, are different, its part of the house itself.
and hot -tubs like swimming pools, the value depends on the likes/dislikes of the potential buyers.

some friends have bought a hot-tub,,use it almost everyday, absolutely love it!, while other friends just HAD to have one, and barely use it...

a few years back, i was in a hot-tub outside in the middle of january one evening, and thought it was awesome!!

i know many folks that have one and enjoy it!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 AM

303 posts, read 1,289,512 times
Default snow

Yeah, I had images of sitting out in it with the snow falling. Hot and cold! But then I also thought about mosquitos in the summer and thought of a screened in area. We've wanted one for years and have promised to make it happen somehow once we buy our house.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Yeah, I had images of sitting out in it with the snow falling. Hot and cold! But then I also thought about mosquitos in the summer and thought of a screened in area. We've wanted one for years and have promised to make it happen somehow once we buy our house.
you definitely want a cover for outside use, and yes a screened in area, id want also.

was also thinking of putting a stereo or tv,,near it,,,but i dont want to be too comfortable, id fall asleep,,and be a walking raisin for three days..

Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 AM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
I kow people who have a hot tub and love it. They jump out in roll in the snow, then jump back in. When you roll in the snow after getting out of a hot tub, every pore on your entire body slams shut.

The flip side of this scenario is another guy I know. He asks a relevant question: "Why would anybody want to stew in his own juice?"

Old 12-29-2007, 11:00 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,347,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I kow people who have a hot tub and love it. They jump out in roll in the snow, then jump back in. When you roll in the snow after getting out of a hot tub, every pore on your entire body slams shut.

The flip side of this scenario is another guy I know. He asks a relevant question: "Why would anybody want to stew in his own juice?"
With my luck my pores would slam shut and I'd not be able to get back into the tub and expire in the snowbank........what a way to go!!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:50 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
We have had Jacuzzis in two of our previous homes. I once got the doc on my sub to write me a prescription to soak in a jacuzzi three times a week, whenever we were in port, for my back pains. This made it a tax deduction, and we have maintained such ever since.

In the last home, we were fostering and the state case-workers blew a gasket when they learned that we were planning on another jacuzzi. So after a series of false steps and mis-starts, we finally got a jacuzzi that went in the back bedroom of our motorhome.

A 'spa-n-a-box'. We decided on this model, as it is very cheap, and in our experience Jacuzzis do not last forever. Being a consumable item, that can also be a tax deductible item; we opted for a unit that is more mobile if perhaps shorter lasting. We have had this one for four years so far.

We used it a lot while living in Connecticut, in our motorhome sitting in our parking lot [away from state licensed foster home].

When I first came up to Maine to build our new home, I lived in the motorhome [with the jacuzzi].

Then when our new house was up to minimal habitability, we moved into it including our jacuzzi.

I built a large heated towel rack next to our jacuzzi, using the hot water flow from our radiant floor heating loop. So our towels and warm and dry all of the time. We also hang our wet hats, coats and scarves on the towel rack, to keep them warm and toasty.

I think that I have posted photos previously of our jacuzzi and towel rack.

It sits very close to the center of our house, between our sunken living room and our lap-pool.

We use it daily, and during colder weather we may jump in it multiple times each day. We 'enjoy' our jacuzzi.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:38 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
With my luck my pores would slam shut and I'd not be able to get back into the tub and expire in the snowbank........what a way to go!!
I can see the headlines now. Crazy message board group's party turns deadly.. film at 11!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine