U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 AM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times

Advertisements

A few years ago a lady went off the trail and hit a big stump at night. She was the last sled in a party of six. The group came back and found her. They split. Two sleds went to one town and three sleds went to the next town. NOBODY stayed with the lady. When we got the reports from two separate towns we thought we had two separate accidents.

I have a large rescue toboggan towed behind my Yamaha VK-540 snowmobile and I found her. The first thing I did was put my nice warm mittens on her cold hands. The following groups came to assist in the rescue.
Fire department
Game warden
Ski area with a rescue toboggan
Local ambulance
Neighboring town's fire department
Sheriff's deputy
State police

We sure had a good crew when they all arrived. The lady had a broken pelvis which is quite painful. I took her out to the road on a back board inside my toboggan. Time from the accident to being in a nice warm ambulance was over 2 hours. First we had to find her. She was nowhere near where her party thought she was. It was snowing that night and I just followed the tracks of three snowmobiles back to the scene. It would have been very easy to miss where she went off the trail. Neither the snowmobile nor the victim could be seen from the trail.

When it was all over the family and the lady's place of work both made a donation to the snowmobile club for a rescue toboggan for the club. I import them from Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,891,405 times
I just got off the phone with my sister who lives in Dover-Foxcroft. She lives in the old family farmhouse there where we have property on both sides of the old rail trail which is the ITS for snowmobiles and atv's. She said that it's snowing huge flakes right now and that there's lots more snow this year than last where I went for X-Mas last year, with zero snow. She said that the snowmobiling is quite active and she sees and hears them routinely. She did make the comment that some go too fast. It's kind of a long strait-a-way there. We live a couple miles from town on the way to Dexter. My brother lives on the other side of the trail which is a bit closer and says that he's seen groups of dozens before take breaks in and around our property. The groups even use our property as a turn a round where they use certain machines to pack down the trails for the snowmobilers from there out toward Guilford. Another group from Dexter comes that far too. I think they take it quite seriosly and are passionate about there sport. We all love it too.

Most people are very respectful, but when you see so many in a season, there are always a few who stand out and have no business having keys to such a powerful machine. Overall, we love being so near the trail. It's easy to get to a store on snow or dirt. Great place to have all the toys.

R

Old 12-31-2007, 04:49 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,810,482 times
Including today, we've had over 3 feet of snow in the Dover-Foxcroft area. I'm right over in Milo. It's like a Currier and Ives print this year.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:32 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,130,579 times
8" to 14" coming this afternoon into tomorrow. Steve's been packing down my trails to the barn, seedling and greenhouse, hen house and bird feeder with the snowmobile. I think today I'm going to trade my shovel for his snowmobile.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:02 AM

3,061 posts, read 7,295,656 times
Hubby heard this a.m. that we have at least 18 inches of snow coming tonight. Dang, too much for me. Sure hope we get no snow next week as he has to be out of town and too far to commute.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:44 AM

We're due for 8 to 14 inches tonight into tomorrow. The kids may get an extra day of vacation.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:39 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,424,991 times
Default A question of manners

I was at the new house Saturday evening. When I finished installing the sump pump it was well after dark, around 10PM. As I was standing on the front porch steps trying to clean off some of the 10 pounds of clay mud caked on my boots a pair of snow machines came out of the woods and buzzed around my field, then left. A little while later, (I was *still* trying to get the mud off) one machine came back, went to the end of the field and turned around, then sat watching me for a bit before leaving again.

They could not have failed to see me and notice that someone was there since every light in the place was on after having been practically abandoned for months. I fully expected that they would come up to the house and introduce themselves and, perhaps, inquire as to whether I minded the racket they were making. They did not.

I thought that this was somewhat rude, and I was rather miffed as I would have welcomed the opportunity to invite them in for a hot cup of coffee, over which we could discuss my desire for a little peace and quiet...of which *my* definition does *not* include motors racing around my front yard.

So, my question is this: Should I next try to get their attention with just a couple of blasts from the shotgun, or should I go whole hog and let spray with a few full-auto bursts from my machine pistol?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM

They were probably just lost. Put up a tripod of logs at your property boundary with a sign on it. The local snowmobile club will gladly provide you with the sign. They don't want snowmobilers to intrude where they are not wanted and have signs just for such landowners.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:15 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,810,482 times
Great post NMLM, good info (as usual)

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,424,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
They were probably just lost. Put up a tripod of logs at your property boundary with a sign on it. The local snowmobile club will gladly provide you with the sign. They don't want snowmobilers to intrude where they are not wanted and have signs just for such landowners.
LOL, judging by the tracks that were already there, I don't think so. But it's good to know about the tripod and signs.

I wouldn't get quite so mean to start off with anyway. I'd like to be on good terms with the neighbors and I intend to try to be tactful until and unless they make it blatantly obvious that they just don't give a rip.

I *was* a little disappointed that they didn't stop and say "hello". I really would have invited them in for coffee and a friendly chat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or