Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times

Advertisements

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-sta...170446095.html

Glad to see Maine ranking so well against so many others. How MA got in there is questionable, however. Frankly, I'm surprised that Maine didn't rank higher to NH but it's still a great survey.

Rome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 07:22 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
As the sign says when you cross the green bridge into Maine, "Maine, the way life should be. Maine is open for business."

Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 AM

565 posts, read 934,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
As the sign says when you cross the green bridge into Maine, "Maine, the way life should be. Maine is open for business."
Sure to the first part, but the 2nd half is a horrible joke.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Wait until they lay a tar sands pipeline, a natural gas pipeline, record setting power transmission lines and zero access, closed trucking highway 500' to 2000' wide for 220 miles from Canada to Canada across the State. THEN we'll be open for business, but only to multinational interests and nary a penny after construction, except for maybe property taxes (which will be very beneficial to the owners) will stay in Maine. I'd speculate the fix is already in.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:25 AM

534 posts, read 904,372 times
Default Guess it's lepages

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Fondest wish that maine could have as many low paying food service industry jobs as does Texas. Or maybe he wishes for a regulation free state that has exploding industrial plants next to schools and nursing homes...ah yes a business paradise. Better that Maine shuns the pursuit of blood money.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM

12,820 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post

Glad to see Maine ranking so well against so many others. How MA got in there is questionable, however. Frankly, I'm surprised that Maine didn't rank higher to NH but it's still a great survey.

Rome
How's it surprising given the criteria used? New Hampshire has a higher percentage of employed people (though Maine's high population of retirees probably hurts it in that category), lower murder rate (lowest in the U.S.), much, much, much more disposable income, and a better voter turnout (not sure how this adds to the quality of life, but they used it as a metric).

Old 10-07-2014, 11:48 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
It's slightly ironic that they used Bucksport for their photo given the state of Maine just lost one of its best employers there (in that the employees typically made enough in wages to even have a disposable income).

I suspect Sappi will not be too far behind.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:32 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Wait until they lay a tar sands pipeline, a natural gas pipeline, record setting power transmission lines and zero access, closed trucking highway 500' to 2000' wide for 220 miles from Canada to Canada across the State. THEN we'll be open for business, but only to multinational interests and nary a penny after construction, except for maybe property taxes (which will be very beneficial to the owners) will stay in Maine. I'd speculate the fix is already in.
The Multi-Mode Transportation Hub that was planned for my township [that was going to intersect with the new Garbage-Incinerator/Landfill] got denied a week ago. So hopefully they are set-back a bit now.

I guess the big push now is to 'fast-track' giving petroleum companies the 'right' to use Eminent Domain to acquire the land for laying pipeline.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:05 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
I think the current scam is claiming that because natural gas transport costs in winter are so high, and because there isn't enough infrastructure, Emeara (a Canadian owned firm) and Iberdola (CMP, a Spanish owned firm), can only maintain a constant profit level by jacking your electrical rates through the roof. Commercial is going to go WAY up, and expect residential to skyrocket in the spring.

To me, and this is only an opinion, the natural gas industry is scamming Americans and fracking it to death. It's like pellet stoves. Great stuff until there's a scarcity, then the poor investors have to maintain their standard of living and the prices shoot through the roof. I will never use either. Maybe it's time to look very carefully at getting off the grid. I was close to it circa 1993, but opted to put in 3000' of power line instead. The cost was the same. Stupid me.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:09 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post

Rome
yeah, I can see by this survey, the u-hauls are lining up to go to Maine.....wait, the jobs and weather....never mind....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine