U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Maine: generator motors, starters, alternators, buy business, buy land.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,923,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
For now though, we must wait. I plan to speak with Sam, visit and drink coffee every other week and see if he comes around over the next few months.
I'll be glad to put in a good word with the Powers That Be on your behalf, if you would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 02:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,751,205 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone, good suggestions all.

I would plan on putting the shop's entire stock inventory onto a PC database and running a server, so local folks as well as those from away could all access my inventory. Local folks could order units for immediate delivery and folks from away would get their units shipped.

I think that a print-out sheet listing all of the components that where inspected and replaced during the unit's over-haul, and values hand-written in from dynamic testing to prove exactly how much each unit generates; would add to the 'quality' of each unit.

Each customer could see, when we ran dynamic tests exactly how that unit performed.

For now though, we must wait. I plan to speak with Sam, visit and drink coffee every other week and see if he comes around over the next few months.
Forest,
Both those are excellent ideas. When I get my car aligned, I like the shops that give me a before-after printout with the specs and tolerances. To me that says they did what they say they did.

You might want to get some anti-o'nery drops for Sam's coffee...

Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM

29,760 posts, read 47,638,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I'll be glad to put in a good word with the Powers That Be on your behalf, if you would like.
Thank you.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,010 times
Default im a alternator and starter rebuilder,looking for work

competition”
I honestly do not get that feeling.

Most of his business is ‘fleets’ [Cyr and the local towns] and then auto repair shops, very few of his customers are the walk-ins.

I do see the need to go and hang-out with the mechanics, however a higher quality product at a lower price should count for something.

Northern Maine Land Man-
Copper wire is getting more expensive everyday.

However tradesmen getting their hands dirty rebuilding these things is also a rarity.

RANGER.101ST-
“rebuilding electric motors and alternators is a dieing art”
“I only wish there were more people out there that do that type of work”

You and me both.

i m a alternator and starter rebuilder,i have around 15 yrs exp in rebuilding heavy equipment and foreign and domestic units

Spaige-
“I am not so much concerned about running the business, so much as if I want to.”
Same here.

“I wonder what will you do if in five years you find your sons aren't interested and want to move on to another line of work and you have the business by yourself and you have decided not to continue with it. Will it be a business which you can sell? Would you make a profit or at least be able to break even and know you enjoyed the experience? I know I am not really helping you here”
Good points.

Sam has told me that in the last five years, a few of his customers [mechanics themselves] have approached Sam, asking for Sam to hire-on their sons, to apprentice them.

Sam views his time as valuable and has refused, unless he gets paid to teach those young men.

So I think that perhaps some local mechanics see the need and the value of having someone in the area who does this kind of work.

[What an ornery old cuss he is]

My wife and I have discussed hiring others to work in the shop. Myself working in it fulltime. Then bringing in each of our sons. [Our eldest is currently a OTR truck driver and has expressed a desire to move here and do deliveries for us. Our younger son to work doing the rebuilding.]

We have discussed the possibility of hiring Vo-Tech kids from the highschool to apprentice in the rebuilding. I mean no insult to dear sweet Sam, however to focus on rebuilding does take a certain mentality. Hiring others to work doing the re-building would likewise require that particular personality. 8 hours each day of assembly line factory work is just not the right fitting job for everyone.

KAF here knows our younger son, and she feels that it would be an excellent fit for him.
If after five years our youngest no longer desires to work there, he most certainly can go elsewhere.[/quote]

Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 AM

278 posts, read 629,392 times
Quote:

If I were to buy Sam’s business I think that I would:

1. change the hours to full-time.

2. bring in a computer to get the inventory on-line [so customers can check his inventory and 'pre-purchase' a unit].

3. print out a sheet for each unit, listing all procedures done and the results of each dynamic test, and include that sheet in each unit's box.

What are your thoughts?
I think one additional thing you need to make sure you understand is, does his wife go with the business? You need to be sure that you are clear on this with Sam and can deal with the contingencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine