Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:59 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,380 times

Advertisements

@bangorme. i'm self employed so securing a job wouldn't be an issue. I lived in Portland 15 years ago and it was hard to land employment then I can only imagine that it's still the same or that it has gotten worse I dunno. i can stand the cold climate but it will take time to get adjusted after being in warm weather all year long. as you posted you said the nearest hospital was 170 miles away my wife needs to be near a hospital and a cancer center i don't think this will work as much i would love to get out of the dam city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:25 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Krelithous, the hospital here does have a pretty good oncology department, just so you know.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Krelithous, the hospital here does have a pretty good oncology department, just so you know.
thank you maine guy. do they have a cancer center there to

Old 10-12-2014, 07:50 PM

447 posts, read 651,493 times
with the research I've done I'd stay away from the county area for living unless retired or perhaps farming (gentleman farming maybe?) doesn't sound like an easy or even possible place to really get by

Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
with the research I've done I'd stay away from the county area for living unless retired or perhaps farming (gentleman farming maybe?) doesn't sound like an easy or even possible place to really get by
that's what I am thinking with all the researching i'm doing. it's better I do my research now instead of getting the bomb dropped on me

Old 10-12-2014, 08:03 PM

321 posts, read 486,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
thank you maine guy. do they have a cancer center there to
They provide oncology services, including chemo. They do not offer radiation therapy. They have a basic service, but the closest full service cancer center is in Bangor, a three hour drive away.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:44 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
If your wife needs a cancer center, how about Bangor? You can be 15 miles outside of Bangor and be out of the city. I would not move to Aroostook county if I had that need. I had a friend that drove to Boston from Fort Kent for cancer treatment, and it wasn't fun. He needed very specialized treatment, but for most I think Bangor would be fine.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post

Some days I feel like that too....lol

Old 10-13-2014, 07:09 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You must mean Bennett Drive, which does have alot. They are trying to really "connect" Bennett and the Main Street area, I mean figuratively, since they are not far apart. But Bennett has been there for fifty years. When I think of real sprawl I think of places like Presque Isle, Bangor, Augusta, etc.
Oh, and the Sleepers store downtown is no longer a dollar store.
Reno's, Burger Boy, Napolis, SW Collins, Family Dollar, city hall, the courthouse, Shop and Save, the library, Dunkin Donuts, three banks, the Legion, the Chamber, Maine Dance Academy, a bunch of offices and a bunch of other shops are all right downtown.
The businesses you listed are considered 'sprawl.' Burger Boy is hardly within walking distance of wait, nowhere. There is no Main Street....High Street and Sweden Street are not a real downtown. I have seen old pictures from when Loring was here, and that was a downtown....not now. Yes, I know Sleeper's is not a true dollar store, but it's still referred to as one.

Last edited by Mainer61; 10-13-2014 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: ll

Old 10-13-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
The businesses you listed are considered 'sprawl.' Burger Boy is hardly within walking distance of wait, nowhere. There is no Main Street....High Street and Sweden Street are not a real downtown. I have seen old pictures from when Loring was here, and that was a downtown....not now. Yes, I know Sleeper's is not a true dollar store, but it's still referred to as one.
We're probably boring everybody else who isn't connected to Caribou, but I'll bite.....lol
I am curious what makes those downtown businesses and places "sprawl".....to me that word means a bunch of cookie-cutter developments that are on the edge of town and go on and on and on. Also, what is about Sweden and High Streets that don't seem like a "downtown"? I'm just curious.
You are right that Main Street is not the primary commercial street. They feel left out because most people don't include them when talking about downtown. But Caribou's Main Street is a mix of residential and business (and the big cemetery!)
It's only a four or five minute walk from Burger Boy to the movie theater. I included it because it's one of Caribou's better-known businesses and it is on the opposite side of town from Bennett Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine