U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 PM

54 posts, read 257,062 times

Advertisements

Hey, we are considering moving to maine possibly. We are in the process of looking at different states and maine seems appealing. Currently living in ohio. Anyways, I am wondering how the job market is in the portland area for white collar business(sales)? How are the housing prices? Do houses have basements? How bad are the winters really? I am used to the cold, but not a ton of snow. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 04:18 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,726,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbicyclist View Post
Hey, we are considering moving to maine possibly. We are in the process of looking at different states and maine seems appealing. Currently living in ohio. Anyways, I am wondering how the job market is in the portland area for white collar business(sales)? How are the housing prices? Do houses have basements? How bad are the winters really? I am used to the cold, but not a ton of snow. Thanks.
Welcome to the Maine forum. I live in Ohio too. Pretty much everything we saw had a basement, but then we were lookng in Eastport not Portland where houses are cheaper and there would probably be no jobs in your desired field.

Where in Ohio are you?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:51 AM

54 posts, read 257,062 times
Really? There are not many business jobs out there? I wasn't sure if there would be or not. I am in springboro.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 AM

3,061 posts, read 7,297,624 times
You should be able to find a jon in Portland. I believe you misunderstood Drama's comment. It was about jobs in Eastport.
Many Maine houses have basements.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:38 AM

1,815 posts, read 4,268,283 times
Quote:
Welcome to the Maine Forum.

There are plenty of sales jobs out there, almost every company can't find enough bodies to fill their positions - as you know sales is a high burnout field with much turnover. What kind of sales are you in now?

Almost all single family homes have basements, homes on slabs are very difficult to market - Mainers seem to love their basements, as we need a place to store all that stuff. The Portland area averages about 70 inches of snow a year and after tonight's expected snowfall we'll be about half way there already. Last year we didn't have this much until March, so who knows? Right now it's sunny and 39 degrees in Portland.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Really? There are not many business jobs out there? I wasn't sure if there would be or not. I am in springboro.
Just bought a bike.. maybe I will run into you on the bike trail.

You should be able to find a jon in Portland. I believe you misunderstood Drama's comment. It was about jobs in Eastport.
Many Maine houses have basements.

Thanks Alison. I promise that I didn't mean to be so vague or confusing.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 AM

73 posts, read 131,774 times
We are getting snow today and if you were here you would be shoveling or using your snowblower to get to your job. The homes have basements as was mentioned here on this thread. The jobs are there for you to find also. so the move can be a positive one. Good luck in your search. Didn't Ohio get more snow than we did the other year? lol

Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaige View Post
We are getting snow today and if you were here you would be shoveling or using your snowblower to get to your job. The homes have basements as was mentioned here on this thread. The jobs are there for you to find also. so the move can be a positive one. Good luck in your search. Didn't Ohio get more snow than we did the other year? lol
I'm not sure, but during a 2 day storm this past February, e got about 21 in. and our temps were significantly colder than Eastport (what my yahoo weather is set to). During the storm and after, I believe we were -20 or so while Eastport was +30.

Yet amazingly enough when I discuss the wanting to move to Maine, I get"Why would you want to move somewhere so cold?"

I think it gets that way because we are so landlocked(at times in the summer we are hotter than my Dad in Clearwater,FL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine