Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 08:58 AM

191 posts, read 519,072 times

Advertisements

ok, first let me wish you all a wonderful happy prosperous healthful New Year. Now, what do you folks in Maine typically do for the New Year?
We've been in our current home for about 17 years. Every New Year we invite the our neighbors (who are wonderful friends) over. Our small group of about 8-10 people enjoy the usual champagne...no one has to drive...they walk or weave home. We build a fire in the fire pit and enjoy each others company. It helps if we have some cool weather. I serve lentil soup -my mom used to call it "money" soup - and told us kids if we ate it, the money fairy would come. Sure enough on New Years Day we would wake up with coins sprinkled in our bed. It remains a tradition for me to make this soup. My DH is German, he likes the pickled herring in cream sauce (UGH!)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
We were always fed blackeyed peas, cabbage and cornbread on New Year's day. Whether you liked peas or not, everyone in the house had to eat at least a spoonful to ensure good fortune for the new year. We never did the corned beef that a lot of people do.

So, of course, in keeping with tradition, I always feed my family "the meal" NY day. I just never understood, since that particular meal is a meal of the poor here, how it equates with prosperity and good fortune. But my grandma did it, my mother did it, I do it, and I hope my children will continue to do it.

As I've grown and adapted to my own set of beliefs and convictions, which revolved heavily around my reverence for nature, I incorporate a few other little rituals to honor the turning wheel and rebirth in the new year.

I do not do New Year's resolutions. The practice has always seemed futile to me. I used to declare my resolutions boldly and with much determination - because all my friends did. As their focus and fuel waned, so did mine - because I only did it because it sounded good. I've learned to follow my heart and know that I am in a constant state of change and improvement. There's no better time than the present to make positive changes in your life!

I wish for everyone a healthy, happy and prosperous 2008 and beyond!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:53 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
On New Years Eve day, I make sure all the decorations are down and the house is clean to start the New Year. I don't have a special meal that I serve. My mother used to cook cabbage with coins tucked into the chunks and cooked it with bacon fat - I've never been able to eat cabbage in any form since, it was nasty.

I'll probably spend New Year's Day reading the newest Sarah Graves book that got here yesterday. We ordered it at Wadsworth's last fall. Looks to be a good read, and mensaguy will most probably watch some football and take a nap.

Nothing special about New Years to us except having a nice, clean house to kick off the year.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:41 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
As I've grown and adapted to my own set of beliefs and convictions, which revolved heavily around my reverence for nature, I incorporate a few other little rituals to honor the turning wheel and rebirth in the new year.
I thought of you earlier. I was out shoveling snow away from the greenhouse so that tonight's snow fall doesn't build up too high. I was grumbling to myself about having to do this for a fifth time in December. When I stopped to give my shoulder a rest I pushed my shovel into the snow and listened to the chickadees calling back and forth. I couldn't see one of the farmcollies but I knew he was close; it was so peaceful I could hear him pouncing through the snow. I stopped grumbling when I realized you would have loved being out in nature like this. You were a good reminder of why I need to be thankful all the time.

Quote:
I do not do New Year's resolutions. The practice has always seemed futile to me. I used to declare my resolutions boldly and with much determination - because all my friends did.
I have one resolution. I'm not feeding the trolls next year.

(I might kick 'em but I'm not feeding them. )

Old 12-30-2007, 06:31 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Awww! MW, that's a very nice thought! I'll come help you shovel snow when we get moved.....if I can learn how to keep up with my own!!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:59 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
from NYE dinners in West Virginia. Black Eyed Peas (Hoppin John) for luck, Greens for money, and Sauerkraut, for which I forget its' charm. Been away too long...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine