Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 02:42 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times

Advertisements

There was a plant making military protective gear in the Princeton to Baileyville area a decade ago. Are they still in business? If so, what is the name of the company? I think their products may be in demand immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 03:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
There was a story on out Local News here in Atlanta, for a plant South of Atlanta, That can't make them fast enough .

Kimberly-Clark working overtime to produce protective gear | www.wsbtv.com

Old 10-17-2014, 04:25 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have worked places where we had to walk-through practice drills using De-Conn equipment/procedures every month. We would De-Conn each other, the work space, the equipment, and finally the garments.

There are minor distinctions between Nuclear, Biologic and Chemical Deconn. But for the most part, it is mostly done using similar procedures.

Over the course of my career, I was caught in a couple radiologic contamination and chemical contamination incidents. We trained for biologic, but I was fortunate enough that I never had to deconn a biologic incident.

When professionals: have the gear, practice the procedures monthly, and annually have inspection teams critiquing their performance. It becomes pretty routine, when the procedure is needed, you do it by rote.

I find it interesting to watch as civilians appear to have never done this. If they have never walked through the steps, and never De-conned anything, obviously they would not be competent. When they are suddenly expected to do De-conn, their lack of experience shows.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:01 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I find it interesting to watch as civilians appear to have never done this. If they have never walked through the steps, and never De-conned anything, obviously they would not be competent. When they are suddenly expected to do De-conn, their lack of experience shows.
It's like anything else: if you've never done a particular task - if it's never been part of your job responsibilities - you'll need training. And even if a person *has* been trained, that training may be so out-of-date as to be useless.

I learned to "don and clear" a gas mask 42 years ago. I learned to accurately fire and then break down and clean an M-16. I have not used any of my specific military training in a very long time. If I were asked to do these things today, I'd give it my best, but I doubt the results would be very pretty.

If you're not in the military, or a police/fire/rescue department, or on staff at a hospital, you may have never had the chance to learn anything about decontamination procedures.

If inexperienced people are suddenly asked to perform specific tasks without first being trained, no one should be surprised at the results.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:43 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There was a plant making military protective gear in the Princeton to Baileyville area a decade ago. Are they still in business? If so, what is the name of the company? I think their products may be in demand immediately.
Tex-Sheild has an manufacturing plant in Eastport in the old Guilford Mill owned by the town. They've been there since the late 90s and going strong. Employs quite a few local folks.

Like submariner and GreeenGene I used to don NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) gear quite often in the service. We even had the dexterity to play Hearts (during mock air raids) in full chem-suits let alone break down weapons, do testing for nerve agents and all that fun stuff.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:43 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
No doubt that a brisk business is being done by vendors of gas masks, gloves, and 'suits' of various kinds, as well as all manner of hand sanitizers and wipes. In the past 48 hours I have done a complete 180 on this ebola stuff. I wasn't that concerned about it before, and am even less so now. There seems to be a concerted effort afoot to get the population panicky, and one has to wonder why. After all, 2 cases in the US is hardly cause for panic.

I do beleieve that many people are dying in West Africa...but wait a minute, don't thousands die in West Africa all the time? How would we know what they are dying from, or if the numbers have indeed gone up? I'm just trying to look at this from outside the box, instead of inside the box that the MSM is creating.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:40 AM

We lose around 30,000 people every year to influenza in our country. These are mostly elderly, very young or involved with chronic disease. They die of dehydration and organ failure. Ebola is more horrifying because healthy adults die and it is spectacular. If Ebola is contained in a village it quickly runs out of victims and dies out until somebody snares and eats an infected fruit bat again.

The problem with Ebola today is that contagious people travel. It has the potential of becoming pandemic as the "Spanish flu" did in 1918. It's good to see some members here joining into this thread because the prevention of cross contamination is very complicated. It can be done correctly. Thanks, retiredtinbender for reminding me of the name of the company. I hope they are still in business and can bring in the people needed to run the plant for three shifts.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:59 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Creative Apparel in Indian Township closed a while ago.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:11 PM

Thanks. That was the one I was thinking of. If the equipment is still there they might have the opportunity to resume business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine