U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2008, 01:01 PM
 
Location: On the water in Maine =)
454 posts, read 781,064 times
Reputation: 581

Advertisements

Thanks, gals
Sometimes it's good to have a "kitchen witch" hangin around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Big skies....woohoo
12,421 posts, read 2,791,520 times
Reputation: 2186
I'll try anything at this point. I do really love our house as we built it 20 years ago and I have always lived in this area..but with our daughter away at college and my parents gone, we thought we would relocate to Washington County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Teton Valley Idaho
7,395 posts, read 11,517,896 times
Reputation: 5403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
Thanks, gals
Sometimes it's good to have a "kitchen witch" hangin around
absolutely!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Maine
5,054 posts, read 10,937,856 times
Reputation: 1853
I just thought (as I was walking through my house lighting candles) of another thing I tend to do at the first of every year. I've done it almost unconciously up to this point, but today, it suddenly meant something to me. I do a lot of things that way, and usually, just when I need the revelation, something in me clicks and I understand my subconcious actions.

I burn up all the candles I had partially burned throughout the previous year. I keep candles in my house all the time, and I have my preferences that I burn for different seasons and occasions, just for the aroma. Anyway, I start every new year with new, fresh candles.

Today, as I was lighting all the candles throughout, I realized that I was about to burn down the set I purchased that have only been lit when the house was being shown. I was suddenly relieved to get rid of them and start over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 02:52 PM
 
Location: santa fe,nm
121 posts, read 279,377 times
Reputation: 213
Is Maine ready for all these kitchen witches? You get us all together we could really cook something up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 03:52 PM
 
Location: On the water in Maine =)
454 posts, read 781,064 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
Is Maine ready for all these kitchen witches? You get us all together we could really cook something up!
Is Maine ready?

Heck, the "Maine way of life" raised some

Besides, there's a little witch in every woman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Corinth, ME
2,712 posts, read 4,919,079 times
Reputation: 1863
I also do this... but for me it is a beginning of Feb. thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I just thought (as I was walking through my house lighting candles) of another thing I tend to do at the first of every year. I've done it almost unconciously up to this point, but today, it suddenly meant something to me. I do a lot of things that way, and usually, just when I need the revelation, something in me clicks and I understand my subconcious actions.

I burn up all the candles I had partially burned throughout the previous year. I keep candles in my house all the time, and I have my preferences that I burn for different seasons and occasions, just for the aroma. Anyway, I start every new year with new, fresh candles.

Today, as I was lighting all the candles throughout, I realized that I was about to burn down the set I purchased that have only been lit when the house was being shown. I was suddenly relieved to get rid of them and start over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Chaos Central
1,122 posts, read 3,612,006 times
Reputation: 893
Almost all my colleagues at work either advised me on where to buy statues of St Joseph, or how to bury him (right side up? upside down? facing the door? facing the street?) No way was I going to do this - my grandma would snatch me bald-headed for sticking a saint in the dirt.

Some cathartic effort was derfinitely in order though. I needed it to keep my hopes up, if nothing else. So I tried the staging idea but with a twist - cleansing, lightnening and brightening for its own sake and to please me with a fresh new outlook, not to please prospective buyers with the newest craze in furnishings. Down came all the artwork and other stuff hanging on the walls. Shelves were emptied, flloors were cleared of the smaller furniture, then I stood back and looked hard at what was left.

What you can see when all the familiar everyday things are gone, is amazing. It's like a fresh canvas. Only about 1/3 of the things went back up, arranged a bit differently. The rest got packed. I only indulged myself in a few new things: some pretty, eye-catching art candles, a crisp white dining table cloth, and one new print for the living room, in a warm but modern style with beautiful frame. Because it was hung on a prominent wall visible from almost every other room, it gave the whole house a different atmosphere. I was really happy liviing with the result and people started making more positive comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 05:11 PM
 
2,133 posts, read 5,148,956 times
Reputation: 1388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Almost all my colleagues at work either advised me on where to buy statues of St Joseph, or how to bury him (right side up? upside down? facing the door? facing the street?) No way was I going to do this - my grandma would snatch me bald-headed for sticking a saint in the dirt.
Some cathartic effort was derfinitely in order though. I needed it to keep my hopes up, if nothing else. So I tried the staging idea but with a twist - cleansing, lightnening and brightening for its own sake and to please me with a fresh new outlook, not to please prospective buyers with the newest craze in furnishings. Down came all the artwork and other stuff hanging on the walls. Shelves were emptied, flloors were cleared of the smaller furniture, then I stood back and looked hard at what was left.

What you can see when all the familiar everyday things are gone, is amazing. It's like a fresh canvas. Only about 1/3 of the things went back up, arranged a bit differently. The rest got packed. I only indulged myself in a few new things: some pretty, eye-catching art candles, a crisp white dining table cloth, and one new print for the living room, in a warm but modern style with beautiful frame. Because it was hung on a prominent wall visible from almost every other room, it gave the whole house a different atmosphere. I was really happy liviing with the result and people started making more positive comments.

Almost everyone I know, including ourselves, have done the St. Joseph statue upside down in the yard, facing the street, near the For Sale sign, etc. It absolutely did NOT work for us. Still took us 3 months to sell that particular house, and it was in great shape, in a great neighborhood, and priced right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Maine
5,054 posts, read 10,937,856 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Almost everyone I know, including ourselves, have done the St. Joseph statue upside down in the yard, facing the street, near the For Sale sign, etc. It absolutely did NOT work for us. Still took us 3 months to sell that particular house, and it was in great shape, in a great neighborhood, and priced right.
LOL! Maybe if you had NOT buried the statue, it would have taken 6!! J/K...kinda........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top